• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Is the grizzly lathes good ???

daviddd

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2010
Was wanting to buy one but are they any good or not, wanting to do my own rifles

Re: Is the grizzly lathes good ???

Yes, they work quite well and are the biggest bang for the buck

They're ok for light weight work in your garage.

The ones I saw Gordy Gritter demonstrating at the 2009 Shot Show looked very good. I would probably buy one if I was looking for a lathe without spending a small fortune. If you're wanting one for home, this will work great, I think. Even if it turns into a business, it will pay for it self way before you feel you need anything better. Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tantrum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They're ok for light weight work in your garage. </div></div>

Rifle work in the world of machining is very light work for a lathe. By the time you wear out one of these, you've built lots, and lots of rifles.

I would like to thank everyone for their input because this really really helps, by getting input from everyone because it has helped me make up my mind. And yes I will be buying a grizzly

David - the gunsmith lathes are in great demand and they are constantly on back order lately. We have hundreds on order at any given time, but the factory can only produce so many every month.

In fact we have our inspectors flying out from Taiwan and from here to check the machines to keep the production rolling as we cannot afford any delays.

Go ahead and order the model lathe you want so that you are "in line". They are coming in all the time. but demand is exceeding the supply. You can cancel at any time you want before they get shipped. Basically we go down the list when a shipment hits the dock and go by the date of order. Some people keep calling to see if they are in stock and never get on the list, and they remain disappointed. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ones I saw Gordy Gritter demonstrating at the 2009 Shot Show looked very good. I would probably buy one if I was looking for a lathe without spending a small fortune. If you're wanting one for home, this will work great, I think. Even if it turns into a business, it will pay for it self way before you feel you need anything better. Best of luck. </div></div>

I went to a 4-day class at Gordy's this winter and his Grizzly indicated in tight and ran well. I've spent much more for used lathes over the years but if I was starting over I think I'd buy the Grizzly with the spider and other gunsmithing extras.

I use the G0509G and have been extremely pleased with it. It cuts true, runs perfect, and has really made the experience of learning to build rifles a great one. The only gripe I have found with it after having built a few dozen rifles and threaded twice as many muzzles is the friction lock for the thread dial isn't the best design. I got around it with a $3 magnet I use to keep the thread dial in place when I'm threading.

I have had the G4003 lathe for a couple of years and have had no problems. The only issue I have is, now I spend lots of money on tooling.

I have the G0709 and really like it. It is a lot of lathe for the money. And you will have a hard time beating the customer service as well.

MArk

I would get the Grizzly on order. As Mr Roscoe said, they are good bang for the buck.

I have had a GO554 for about five years and it has given me good service, and I sure make a lot of chips. In fact, I bought a freight damaged one for spare parts as that model is discontinued, because I intend to use it til I die. It has it's quirks, but so does any other machine I've ever operated, be it domestic or import.

On that note, I would like to thank Papagrizzly for the service he provides. There are many, many small one man shops such as myself out here making a living on our own hook. He has provided those of us who have neither the capital, cash flow or another form of income to own an adequately performing machine at a reasonable price. Most of us are tired of fighting old wore out US machines, but simply cannot justify the price of a new one. Much as we'd like to. And there sure are a lot of Americans on his payroll.

My machine did not have all the gunsmithing goodies on it when I purchased it, but I wanted a heavier machine because of some of the jobs I get into. If there's a larger machine available for a similar price, I'd go for it. If you don't have much machine time, making the accessories is good practice and not wasted time. There's no substitute for cast iron mass in the machine business.

I would also echo 671RTO9513's thanks to Papgrizzly. I recently received a G4003G lathe, and it was damaged in the shipping process. One call to Grizzly with the issue and information and I had FedEx Freight calling me in 30 mins to schedule a pick up to return the lathe. Grizzly shipped a new lathe as soon as I called them with the FedEx Freight Tracking Number so I didn't have to wait for them to receive the damaged one back at the distribution center for inspection.

Kind of hard to argue/complain with that kind of service...