• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is the Lyman T Mag II a good press?

Re: Is the Lyman T Mag II a good press?

I have one ive used for the last 5 years, the quick change turret heads are nice. i use it alot more than my dillon for precision work like 308 and 223 plus any calibers i dont have dillon conversions for. the 6 positions on the turrets are nice, you can have 2 sets of dies or like my 308 setup, a deprimer only, neck sizer, fl sizer, rcbs competition seater and a crimp die on the same turret. the only problem ive ever had was the primer arm broke on mine, but i had a spare from my spar t press that was steel not aluminum like the t mag. the only other problem is the pin in the bottom of the arm linkage backs out a little every 300 or so rounds, so i have to tap it back in. i bought mine used so it was a great $75 investment

Thanks, does the jouint that the head turns on allow any play, side to side?

Thanks!

you adjust that with the tension of the big hex bolt that holds the turret on, tighten it till it barely lets you turn the turret and it wont wobble a bit

Been loading for precision on my Lyman TMag for years. No complaints.

I have one I use for small batches of handgun ammo.

I use it's predicessor (Spar-T) with comfort and the T-Mag is better.

I like mine well enough for handgun ammo but much prefer a single station press for precision rifle ammo. Conventional turrets MUST have a bit of loosness in it's attachment or the head could't rotated.

Bottom line, guess it depends a lot on what you intend to reload.

I have had mine for 4 plus years now (actually I have two) and I use it for all my reloading. I like the quick change turret heads. I have had no issues other then the plastic primer holder cracked on me on one of the presses. Lyman sent me new one free. The press is solid and will probably last a lifetime.

I started reloading rifle and pistol with a T Mag II, but have since bought a RockChucker for rifle reloading. I like the turret set up for pistol, but similar to Fuzzball I prefer a single station press for precision rifle rounds.