• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Is the NF BEAST too much optic for a Larue Predatobr 7.62

Dj702

Privateer
Minuteman
May 17, 2014
Vegas
I can't really decide exactly what Optic I want on my Larue. I was thinking of getting the NF ATACR but the reticles that are available aren't for me. I remember seeing a Topic on here about some leaked NF optic from Shot show that I can't wait of because Im really more about NF then I am Leupold but with no clear idea of when it could come to market or if There is no joy there. Im thinking the beast but I feel like thats a lot of optic for the Larue. Thoughts?

Yes, it is too much scope. It is too long, too heavy, too tall, too clunky.

For AR's, I feel smaller, lighter scopes are the way to go. Leupold makes a nice small compact scope. So does March.

I've mounted a Bushnell HDMR on my AR before and even that smaller scope made my AR top heavy and unwieldy.

kind of my thoughts on this. Thanks for the quick reply Hopefully NF will come out with something to compete with the Leupold MARK6 soon so I can grab something for my Texas Musket

Dj it depends what you want to do with your weapon. Optics are your eyes into the world... A regular remington 700 can go from "good enough for government work" to gnats ass precision out to distance with the right optics.

There's a saying that Americans buy expensive guns and cheap optics; Europeans but cheap guns and expensive optics.

You can do so much more with great glass vs having a great gun.

So no, I would venture to day that the NF beast isn't too much optic for the larue predatobr, especially in 7.62. But it depends on how you use it.

Bet you didn't know you can ring steel out to a mile with your semi auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the "leaked" scope, you're probably talking about the CSASS 4-16x42 seen here: NightForce 4-16 CSASS Optic | Military Times GearScout Certainly not released to the public, but I would love to see a Mil-R version for a mid weight semi of mine.

A Nightforce F1 would rock that rifle if you're looking to push the distance out there. Exactly what reticle are you looking for?

I put a NightForce ATACR on top of my P308 and I love it! The more I begin to understand these systems the more I realize that once I have a 300 win mag or 300 norma mag built I will place the ATACR on top of it and look for a smaller F1 optic for the P308. For the shooter on a midrange budget, NightForce offers great options that is very hard to beat.

I run the Nightforce F1 on top of my GAP-10 and love it. My friend runs the BEAST on top of his, and I think it's great for precision work, if you need the extra magnification. As far as size, I think it's shorter than some of the others in it's class (25x). I've had a few Leupolds with tracking issues, so I'm not the biggest fan there. All my NF's have been spot on.

Nightforce F1 15X on top of 16" .308 Larue P'tOBR:

IMG_3411.JPG

I plan to run an ATACR on top of my 24" 6.5 CM P'tOBR in the same Spuhr mount, just as soon as the barrel gets here. The ATACR will be 0.4" shorter, but bulkier, and 8 ounces heavier.

Sorry to go off topic, but is that a larue lt706/harris bipod? How do you like it? Not thrilled with my Atlas and have been looking at these for a year and now they make one with the taller Harris LM-S it would probably be my first choice...

Nightforce F1 15X on top of 16" .308 Larue P'tOBR:

IMG_3411.JPG

I plan to run an ATACR on top of my 24" 6.5 CM P'tOBR in the same Spuhr mount, just as soon as the barrel gets here. The ATACR will be 0.4" shorter, but bulkier, and 8 ounces heavier.

I have a S&B 5-25 on top of my OBR and am rather happy with it.

I didn't buy an OBR to shoot at things up close. :p

Sorry to go off topic, but is that a larue lt706/harris bipod? How do you like it? Not thrilled with my Atlas and have been looking at these for a year and now they make one with the taller Harris LM-S it would probably be my first choice...

Yes. Extremely happy with it, too.