• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is the primary arms SLx 3x micro prism better than a red dot optic???

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
I have trouble seeing a red or green dot clearly. Is the etched glass on the primary arms slx 1x or 3x micro prism more clear????

Their prisms are nice.

Do your self a favor and get a Steiner P4xi 1-4

I too have astigmatism. The steiner is awesome.

Reactions: CK1.0
Our new Micro Size 1X is replacing a lot of red dots. Eliminates the astigmatism issue and you have the etched reticle if the battery dies

Last edited:
Our new Micro Size 1X is replacing a lot of red dots. Eliminates the astigmatism issue and you have the etched reticle if the battery dies
Thank you for responding. I just read a article in Gun Digest regarding the 1x and 3x mirco prism. I want the 3x. Please communicate with me when you get the 3x in stock. I have an account with Primary Arms. Gilbert Moreno

I have both 1x and 3x microprisms from PA and really like them. If your astigmatism is messing with your use of the RDS, the 1x microprism is your hucklberry. It is tiny, you can focus it to your eye and it is exceptionally easy to get behind.

LPVO is a good recommendation, and it is ultimately a more flexible options, but you will be paying a weight penalty.

If you are considering an offset red dot sight, we just did a livecast on that:

ILya

Thank you for responding. I just read a article in Gun Digest regarding the 1x and 3x mirco prism. I want the 3x. Please communicate with me when you get the 3x in stock. I have an account with Primary Arms. Gilbert Moreno
The 3X will be available late December-January. What distances are you planning on using it for? I would not say that the 3X is a red dot replacement like the 1X Micro is.

Last edited:
A prism sight works great for those that have enough of an astigmatism issue that it makes red dots unusable.

For everyone else, including those with minor astigmatism issues, a red dot is still nearly always better.

From what you said at the top "I have trouble seeing a red or green dot clearly." it's not clear whether you have an astigmatism issue, or, just are not aware that you may be using the red (or green) dots incorrectly: you don't look at the dot, you look at the target or another object off in the distance and focus on that, then superimpose the dot on top of that. For most people, even with perfect eyesight, the dots never really appear perfectly clear and/or perfectly round when one tries to look directly at them.

Also, when one looks through red (or Green) dots, you keep both eyes open, always, anyone who says different is a douche.

The full field of view one retains from having both eyes open, and the ability to use a target focus (which is what we usually default to under stress anyway) is what makes red dots so fast and unmatched by other sighting systems in many scenarios.

So while a good true 1x prism is indeed a good 1x sighting option (especially if one has an astigmatism), it's not really a true 1:1 substitute for a a real red dot.

A prism sight works great for those that have enough of an astigmatism issue that it makes red dots unusable.

For everyone else, including those with minor astigmatism issues, a red dot is still nearly always better.

From what you said at the top "I have trouble seeing a red or green dot clearly." it's not clear whether you have an astigmatism issue, or, just are not aware that you may be using the red (or green) dots incorrectly: you don't look at the dot, you look at the target or another object off in the distance and focus on that, then superimpose the dot on top of that. For most people, even with perfect eyesight, the dots never really appear perfectly clear and/or perfectly round when one tries to look directly at them.

Also, when one looks through red (or Green) dots, you keep both eyes open, always, anyone who says different is a douche.

The full field of view one retains from having both eyes open, and the ability to use a target focus (which is what we usually default to under stress anyway) is what makes red dots so fast and unmatched by other sighting systems in many scenarios.

So while a good true 1x prism is indeed a good 1x sighting option (especially if one has an astigmatism), it's not really a true 1:1 substitute for a a real red dot.
Thank you for the information. I am 80 and a half years old and have worn glasses for 58 years. I have always shot with both eyes open. RDO's don't have an adjustable ocular which help correct for astigmatism so they are always blurry to me. The prism does have an ocular so that might help with my vision. I prefer not to wear my glasses and depending on the scope, I somethings can wear just protective glasses instead of prescriptive glasses.

Reactions: CK1.0

Understood but worth noting that our new Micro 1X was designed from the ground up to be a red dot alternative. Very flexible eye relief and far and away closer to a red dot than any past 1X Prism. That and you have the advantage of a etched reticle that is available if battery dies or electronics fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: gigamortis
Understood but worth noting that our new Micro 1X was designed from the ground up to be a red dot alternative. Very flexible eye relief and far and away closer to a red dot than any past 1X Prism. That and you have the advantage of a etched reticle that is available if battery dies or electronics fail.

Totally... you guys definitely changed things for the better for a lot of peeps with the Cyclops prism, and I'm sure the new one is even better. I've recommended them often to those who have an astigmatism that makes red dots a no-go.

That said, speaking of red dots, I had a chance to look at the PA/Holosun ACSS Vulcan dot and believe that reticle is a total game changer. That is some f'ing innovation right there, looks like the future, well done.