• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Is the SPS Tactical worthy of $1000 glass?

Steveindajeep

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2006
East Pa.
Hi guys, been a member a long time. Dont post much because most of the time i can find my answer reading the wealth of knowledgeable posters replys.

But my question is just that. Is the SPS Tactical (308) worthy of quality glass? I was thinking of getting one (for hunting and some steel out to 500+ yards). Ive already got another stock here im not using (a bell and carlson light tact.) and was going to replace the hogue stock with that as Ive read it doesnt do a very good job of free floating the barrel.

SO what are you opinions/experiences with the sps? Is it worth putting quality glass on it? Ive read good things about it so far but would like you input.

As for glass id like to go 4-16 or so. Wished SWFA would get out a 4-16 SS btw
smile.gif

Thanks

Re: Is the SPS Tactical worthy of $1000 glass?

Can't hit what you can't see, so yeah, it's worth it.

It is absolutely worth of expensive optics. I've never seen one that didn't shoot great.

Can't speak on the .308 but the 223 I have is as worthy of good glass as my 47L.

Buy good glass, and later down the road that good barrel, good trigger and good shooting will lead to great results. Buy high quality once, i'm cheap and thats my motto.

Glass is very important, spend as much as you can and then a bit more. It's more important than the rifle itself.

If you like 4-16 or so, check out the Weaver FFP and the Vortex PST models. I got a Weaver the other week and for the price it is fantastic so far. Sub $700

Haha nice one. Stock SPS Tactical with US Optics scope.

My SPS Tactical in 223 is also sitting in a B&C Light Tactical stock. It's running a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50, Badger 20 MOA base, and Badger Rings. I recently upgraded from a Falcon Menace 4.5-14x44, EGW 20 MOA base, and Burris XTR rings. Don't go cheap on optics!

Get some good glass the first time around,remember your on a site where folks put 2-3k scopes on 22s

get the best glass you can afford regardless if the cost of the gun. It is nice to be able to see well ha ha.

i've got a nightforce 3.5-15 on my SPS tactical. Buy once cry once. I figured I would spend all my money on the glass and upgrade the rifle over time.

ummm... YES
ur better off with a 500 dollar gun and 1000 dollar optin than a 1000 dollar gun and 500 dollar optic.

I have a SPS .223 with Mark 4 (14X).
Its the best "out of the box" gun that I have ever shot.
I got it for the rec. But, it shot Dame good.
So, I just put a M-24 stock & a Mark 4 w/ Badger rings and mounts...Ready to go!

Remember...Most people dubble the price of their guns on the glass!

LOBO 151

Don't limit yourself to only 500 yards! Mine has a Nightforce F1 on it and a AI chassis. As long as I'm doing my job I can hit steel out to 1200 yards no problem.

The Hogue stock does need to be upgraded to achieve consistency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CANiHaveGasCash</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've got a nightforce 3.5-15 on my SPS tactical. Buy once cry once. I figured I would spend all my money on the glass and upgrade the rifle over time.</div></div>

I too have a NF 3.5-15 on mine. 500 for the rifle...1600 for the glass. Dont regret it for a second.

Now...When I replace the rifle with a Accuracy International or something custom...maybe then I'll go cheap on the scope as it will just be strictly for my son to use and beat up....

Only if you want to shoot it well. Any rifle capable of decent accuracy deserves the best sighting you can afford to put on it, I never understand the rimfire, AR, etc qualifications.
If you want to shoot precise and accurately, you need reliable repeatable glass.

I say yes as well, I have the Nightforce F1 on mine. Yep, 500 dollar rifle with $2k in glass.

After reading all of this, I don't feel so bad about wanting to put a Nightforce 5.5-25 on a similar 700.

Sure its worth it. Hell, many think anything under 1k is a "budget" scope.

To the obvious; the optic isn't permanently welded to any rifle and the Rem 700 platform is more upgradable than any other bolt rifle. It's more a question of purchasing what you want as a optic with years of service vs. the rifle in question.

edit to add that resale on quality optic isn't as bad as many other toy investments. So you have little risk in your question, it's probably more about apprehensions on the rifle itself.

You can only shoot, as well as you can see!
So, put the best you can afford!

You, never wast money on a good quality scope......it's
a investment!

Sniper 2

Put the best scope on you can afford. I put a 3x10 mark 4 on my sps and I can get 3/8 inch groups with it. It would probably do just as well with an el chepo. If I could have afforded a Premier it would be on it instead of the leupy

I think if you have the budget almost any rifle should be worthy of $1000+ glass. I vaguely remember seeing someone post a picture of a I believe a 10/22 or some other .22 with a nightforce or Us Optics scope on it..

Yes, it's worth it.

Guns may come and go, but I get attached to good glass.

A sling shot is even worthy of a $1000 scope
smile.gif

In case you have not noticed the trend here lol yes its worth it. Ive got a $1100 Trijicon Accupoint 5-20 on my 700 LTR in a AI stock

Yes, my SPS AAC is better than I am... and x2 on the Weaver it's a great value

Wow lots of great responses here guys...hahaha

Yeah Ive spent worthless money on cheapo glass before (younger years). I think its time to step up to something worthy of the iron I have gotten lately. I already have a 700p in 300wm and now ordered the sps tactical.

Perhaps 2 Bushnell HDMRs for the pair? Really wished Id have paid more attention to the board and gotten at least one of the SS 5-20s when they did the groupbuy. $1000 for that was a fantastic deal. Im sure we wont see something like that for some time again.

Thanks to all.

I run an IOR 3.5-18x50 on my SPS and it is a sub moa gun by all means. Invest in the glass and upgrade the rifle later but you will be happy with it.

I was told over twenty years ago by a very good friend that happen to be one of the best long range shooters alive at the time. "Your scope should always cost more than the rifle if you want your gun to shoot its best". His advice has never been wrong.

I have a 700 SPS in .308. $550 for the rifle, $400 for a B & C stock, and $1400 for my Leupold Mark 4. Totally worth it.

Scott

SPS tac 308, McCann rail, AI 2.0 stock, Timney trigger, Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25 P4F. Shoots great to 1050 yds so far!

SPS tac 223, KRG Whiskey 3 chassis, timney trigger, Schmidt & Bender PMII 5-25 Gen 2, Shoots great to 720 yds so far!

Yeah, they're worth it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steveindajeep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the SPS Tactical (308) worthy of quality glass? I was thinking of getting one (for hunting and some steel out to 500+ yards).</div></div>

Guess you have never seen my SPS-Varmint.

100_4272.jpg

let me guess, he had a million dollar scope on a 10 rifle and the rifle blew up in his face when he squeezed the trigger

Is it worthy? Absolutely! You'll never regret buying good glass, and as others have noted they tend to keep their resale value. Here is an old photo of mine (with a few other modifications), currently it is wearing a Vortex 4-16 PST.

IMG_7252.jpg

good glass is very important. get the best scope you can afford...bed your rifle and get some trigger work done, and with practice you can get great accuracy.

While I was waiting on my rifle to get built I had my 5-25x56 s&b pm2 on my Sps tac! Hell I would have left it on there if I had 2 schmidts!

Worth it to me. And worth an 800 dollar stock.

2011-09-181326142.jpg

If I could all my guns would have 1000+ dollar glass

all depends on if you have cash now or not. If not, how long will it take you to get it...do you want to shoot your gun now or later.

Me, I'd rather be at the range shooting than looking at my rifle in the case wondering how it will shoot.

That being said, you can get a decent 400-500 dollar scope as an intermediate glass while you save for the high end stuff. you'll be able to shoot and have an extra scope of something goes wrong with the new glass or if you get another gun.

Getting inexpensive scopes isn't a bad idea, just don't get cheap.

I had a Barska, yea I know crap, that I intended on keepig on til I could afford a decent piece of glass. Well, due to the economy I lost some contracts and couldn't get the high end stuff. But I was still able to shoot.

Oh, and glass didn't cause missed shots, I did. I don't blame the tool.

I have a MK4 3.5-10x40 w/M3 and TMR reticle on my SPS-T 308. My wife has a VTR and she has the same scope that I have except hers is MD.
My Mega MA-Ten currently has my Mark 2 3-9 that came off of my EBR when I sold it. The Mark 2 is a good scope for me as I already have it but I'm saving up to get an FFP 4.5-14x50. If I would have saved a little more when I bought the Mark 2 I would have a MK4 on the Mega right now.
Go for it man. Get the $1000+ glass!