• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is the world of optics set for a change?

fastex500

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
Gaston County, NC
Let me explain my heading.... I am fairly new to the long range world (6 months), but have been shooting off and on for 20 years. Lately I am spending a lot of time reading about glass... reticles, ffp, sfp, mil/mil, moa/moa, power, glass, and on and on.

Seems like the past 10 years have been all about glass clarity and reliability. But now there is a shift in focus to reticles and matching turrets. Great for the shooter, as I am shopping for a mil/mil scope myself. And now the growth of Horus reticles and other hold-over type of reticles. We have the HDMR on the scene, and I am assuming others will follow.

With all of this new tech coming on scene now... is it worth it for a buyer like myself to hold out till after Q1 and see what materializes? I have been leaning toward a NXS MLR/mil scope... but after looking thru a few HDMR's I think... "man, wouldn't that reticle be sweet in a sub $1800 NF!".

I know that there are S&B's, F1's and the likes out there with reticle options... but under $1500 it is limited.... for now. Has anyone heard rumblings (SHOT Show?) of some new options coming down the pipe? Maybe a Vortex PST with the Razor reticle options?
grin.gif

Re: Is the world of optics set for a change?

I think most of the rabbits in the hat for the year are pulled out by SHOT. Some exceptions apply (HDMR as you pointed out) but with the current lag time from sneak peek to actual production and delivery on most optics (oftentimes going all the way to and past the following SHOT show.....see: S&B) and price changes at a moment's notice (often drastic) I think the only thing you gain waiting until after Q1 is the saving of more money in your pocket.

Of course, we are blessed with more and better stuff than ever, but the current supply side of things and global economic uncertainty makes for lots of unobtainium.

Put another way, if a scope is out or on the way that fits your needs and budgets and you can obtain it now, I would err on the side of having a bird in the hand

Scott

I suggest you get what you want now. There will always be something new coming down the pike.

Requirements for a 1000 yard tactical scope:
1. At least 45 moa of total travel (50 or more is better).
2. Zero stop.
3. Matching reticle and knobs (either MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA)
4. At least 10x magnification.

I have noticed that in the last 3 years tactical type scopes and AR's have become more like gaming computers in that something new is always coming out as soon as you buy what's on the market. Good news is that today's scopes will still be useable in 10 or even 20 years, unlike other technologies.

No news from Vortex about reticles at SHOT, and like Scott said if there's something out there that fits your needs, you may as well buy.

I am waiting on the SWFA Super Sniper 1-6x24, but I have a definite-ish timeline on it and know it has the features I want.

My sense is that the next paradigm shift is toward optics that range and adjust automatically being the norm. Until this is affordable, I'll stick with the NF F1 that doubles as a blunt instrument.

I believe there will always be new reticles styles developed, both FFP and SFP. Part of it is "need", and the other part is marketing. We as shooters continually look for something better or new to try out. Personally I'd like to see the MLR 2 reticle in a NXS, primarily because I haven't caught the FFP bug.
grin.gif
I hope to look thru a friends HDMR- GAP reticle at the next shoot, and maybe send a few downrange. I like the idea, but am wondering how long it takes to adjust to a reticle that appears quite busy.

I have no doubt that I'll be completely happy with a NXS now. Competition and customer demand are a wonderful thing tho... Viva la capitalism!

It appears to me that there are two distinct paths of tactical optics evolution going on right now. One is in lower power variables because the rifleman and DM marksman's roles have expanded ranges to 6-700 yards. The second is the introduction of more powerful calibers for longer range precision shooting. Change is ongoing. If what you like/need is available, get it. If something down the road looks better trade it in.

I'm waiting for programmable laser imposed reticles. Insert a Micro-SD Card and select a reticle for the task at hand.

What was released at SHOT is pretty much what you will see for the rest of the year.

The only exception I am aware of is the Nightforce scope. It will be released at the NRA show.

The $500-1000 price range has blown up in the last year. There are more options now than there have ever been.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting for programmable laser imposed reticles. Insert a Micro-SD Card and select a reticle for the task at hand.</div></div>

Hadn't thought of that, but the technology certainly exists. My wife's sewing machine can change stitch patterns with an SD card. That'd be cool as hell in a scope, I'll keep playing the lottery just in case!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting for programmable laser imposed reticles. Insert a Micro-SD Card and select a reticle for the task at hand. </div></div>

Is that before or after all the high-dollar optics have integrated LRF and display rounds remaining in magazine?

Well, as several of you mentioned, there was something out there that worked, so I just pulled the trigger on an IOR 3-18x42 4th gen. Seems like it is the best balance of what I wanted (mil/mil, some holdover capability at elevation with MP-8, FFP and A+ glass) for my budget. Now I've just got to figure out if my AD-RECON-SL is going to be too high (.5 vs. Having to buy some .25 IOR low rings) on my Savage 10fp.

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure this won't be the last scope I buy.... But I feel it was a good purchase for my application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stinkyDrunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting for programmable laser imposed reticles. Insert a Micro-SD Card and select a reticle for the task at hand. </div></div>

Is that before or after all the high-dollar optics have integrated LRF and display rounds remaining in magazine?</div></div>

Once LRF is integrated then the reticle will become dynamic and auto adjust based on acquired target. Of course, it will also take into consideration environmental and atmospheric conditions from the BT connection to the appropriate sensors.
wink.gif