• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Is there a best "go no go" gauge to set headspace for accuracy?

Precision Underground

Rifle Gear
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Going to be rebarreling a 6.5 CDMR savage here shortly. I know go no gos can vary slightly in tolerances while still being within spec. Should I be concerned with setting the headspace to a certain spec or just make sure it's within SAMMI and then focus on sizing brass to the headspacespace that was set?

I think I can safely say that this is the last thing you'll be worried about when dialing this rifle in. Set it to GO and make sure it doesn't close on the NOGO and you'll be fine. Ultimately your reloading procedure is going to decide how well you adhere to what the gun is at.

Set your die to squish the shoulders a whole bunch and you'll be buying brass again in short order. Set em too long/tall and you'll be hammering the bolt to close.

C.

Exactly what he said. I personally use Forster. Set on Go, make sure it doesnt close on No-Go and your set.

I think I can safely say that this is the last thing you'll be worried about when dialing this rifle in. Set it to GO and make sure it doesn't close on the NOGO and you'll be fine. Ultimately your reloading procedure is going to decide how well you adhere to what the gun is at.

Set your die to squish the shoulders a whole bunch and you'll be buying brass again in short order. Set em too long/tall and you'll be hammering the bolt to close.

C.

Correct, I understand reloading procedure just making sure there was not a "best" gauge or headspace spec that would make things easier or at least not harder. Did I catch a passive swipe at the trusty old Savage there?

I usually just get what is available and not overpriced. I even use go gauges by one brand and no go by another brand if that is what I have.

Not at all, the same rule applies to any firearm.

I got ya. When you said "dialing in this rifle" I thought you meant this rifle would be hard to dial in. Is there anything I should be concerned with on a savage action as to accuracy? I decided on a criterion bull profile and am tossing it all in an aics 1.5. Looking to put together a budget longish range rig just to play with. I expect it to shoot pretty good but should I have any accuracy issues where in the order would you say I should blame/look at the savage action?

Barrel is more important than the action, my Savage LRP in 6.5 CM, which is what started shooting long range with a couple years ago still shoots as good or better than my custom. It doesn't feed and eject as well, but it shoots just fine.

The biggest thing when loading for Accuracy Is setting up your Die you need to use a oal gauge that measures of the shoulder and only size the brass until it chamber with maybe a little resistance but they should all feel the same when chambered I usually bump the shoulder a thousand of an inch if that feels to tight then go 1.5 or 2 not sure this helps any good luck

Barrel is more important than the action, my Savage LRP in 6.5 CM, which is what started shooting long range with a couple years ago still shoots as good or better than my custom. It doesn't feed and eject as well, but it shoots just fine.

For sure barrel is more important. More questioning the accuracy or should I say non accuracy likelihood of a given action.

The biggest thing when loading for Accuracy Is setting up your Die you need to use a oal gauge that measures of the shoulder and only size the brass until it chamber with maybe a little resistance but they should all feel the same when chambered I usually bump the shoulder a thousand of an inch if that feels to tight then go 1.5 or 2 not sure this helps any good luck

Yea ive got that part down. The one reloading aspect I haven't dealt with is neck tension as I have only been loading for an ar with a factory crimp die. I got that gun/ammo down to .5ish MOA so I was doing something right. Putting together a bolt gun now and looking forward to something new to tinker with lol.

I got ya. When you said "dialing in this rifle" I thought you meant this rifle would be hard to dial in. Is there anything I should be concerned with on a savage action as to accuracy? I decided on a criterion bull profile and am tossing it all in an aics 1.5. Looking to put together a budget longish range rig just to play with. I expect it to shoot pretty good but should I have any accuracy issues where in the order would you say I should blame/look at the savage action?

Pricey, custom actions are nice. They are cool, they are what a lot of guys/gals want/hope to have someday. All of this certainly has its place and the money spent is not a waste in my opinion. That said its not absolutely necessary either. In 2003 I was an armorer for the United States Palma Team. So, I'm this guy loitering around the top 1% of long range iron sight trigger pullers in the United States. Kinda cool. I got to see every hot rod custom action in use. Nesika, RPA, CG Millenium, Stolle Panda, you name it, the good stuff was there and it all worked.

There there's this guy: Retired Sgt Major Norman Crawford. He's shooting a beat up "pawn shop looking" Remington M700. Blasphemy! Till you look at his plot sheets taken by the coaches during the team practices at Sacramento and Camp Butner. His X count was consistent with everyone else's and his scores were right where they needed to be. Sacremento is a windy bugger. Butner, you just sweat like no other as the muggy south is just a bitch to be in when your strapped in a leather jacket and sprawled out under the sun in late May. -wide range of conditions and the gun did not care one bit.

My point here is while Savage is considered to be an entry level piece it does not disqualify it from being able to shoot well anymore than a custom action or tuned up Remmy does on the US Palma Team. It has limitations and you realize them, but if your punching holes they have more than proven themselves to be capable.

Have fun and kill it.

Last edited:
    Pricey, custom actions are nice. They are cool, they are what a lot of guys/gals want/hope to have someday. All of this certainly has its place and the money spent is not a waste in my opinion. That said its not absolutely necessary either. In 2003 I was an armorer for the United States Palma Team. So, I'm this guy loitering around the top 1% of long range iron sight trigger pullers in the United States. Kinda cool. I got to see every hot rod custom action in use. Nesika, RPA, CG Millenium, Stolle Panda, you name it, the good stuff was there and it all worked.

There there's this guy: Retired Sgt Major Norman Crawford. He's shooting a beat up "pawn shop looking" Remington M700. Blasphemy! Till you look at his plot sheets taken by the coaches during the team practices at Sacramento and Camp Butner. His X count was consistent with everyone else's and his scores were right where they needed to be. Sacremento is a windy bugger. Butner, you just sweat like no other as the muggy south is just a bitch to be in when your strapped in a leather jacket and sprawled out under the sun in late May. -wide range of conditions and the gun did not care one bit.

My point here is while Savage is considered to be an entry level piece it does not disqualify it from being able to shoot well anymore than a custom action or tuned up Remmy does on the US Palma Team. It has limitations and you realize them, but if your punching holes they have more than proven themselves to be capable.

Have fun and kill it.

Awesome. That was my understanding and it's nice to hear someone who deals in high end stuff say that. Yea all I'm looking to do is shoot paper and piss my brother off when more of mine land closer together than his.