• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a new AIAW coming?

InTheHills

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2004
OCONUS
I have been doing a lot of research on the AW vs AX and I have seen several comments that, by themselves, seem to have gone unnoticed. But I wonder if put together we can assume there may in fact be a new AIAW headed our way soon.

07-10-2013, 02:41 AM
Tac Pro told me today there will be a replacement coming out in September. When it actually is available I dont know. They have 9 on order he said. They did say the do not know details of the AW replacement at this point

07-10-2013, 06:46 PM
Hi, I would just like to make a couple of comments.
1) The AX338 replaced the AAW338 but we are still manufacturing the AW308 and AW300.
2) We are still in production with AW's and will not be "replacing" it. If anything we will improve it but at this time we are still in production of the AW308 and AW300.
3) We are accepting orders for AW but not with any quick adjust features or butt spike.
4) We are not accepting any more orders for 2013 delivery regardless of whether it is an AW, AX or AE but our distributors have plenty on order and we are delivering substantially more product this year than any other, especially in the USA.

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

07-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Since Accuracy International began in the 80's we have primarily responded to the demands of military and law enforcement customers. As a result we started with the L96 followed by the AW and then the AX. All direct results of military specifications and user input from military snipers. That is our heritage and still our primary customer worldwide. We have also taken account of Law Enforcement needs and we came up with the AE just over 10 years ago. The AICS was a result of a demand from civilian users. All of our rifles and chassis systems have a tactical look to them. The L96 was the first purpose designed tactical rifle for military snipers. Before that and for many years after everything was a customized hunting rifle. Now the rest of the world has caught up. That does not mean we stand still or are just like all of the other tactical rifles coming out today. There are features on our AX which differentiate it from others and many people like it enough to buy it. We still make the AW and intend to make it better but you still have an AW with all of the features you like.

We are striving hard to satisfy not only our military and law enforcement customers but our civilian customers as well but having a range of products and accessories to suit everyone. We have improved our products, increased our production and continue to do so including assembly of AICS in the USA which we have been doing for 7 years. We will also be increasing our rifle assembly in the USA so our products will be available to more of our US customers.

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

My real question is, what can AI do to improve on the AW? The only thing I have come up with would be to put her on a diet without loosing the battle axe reliability. What else can we expect?

I really don't mind the weight. A Good precision rifle is going to be heavy. I don't know what else they can do to improve one of the greatest rifles in their line. A buddy of mine picked up my AE one day and said it was heavy. I told him "yeah, well its a mens rifle. :cool:

Will AE barrels and AICS mags work in an AW. I may upgrade and have a good bit of AE stuff. Sorry for the hijack.

Damn! I knew one would work in the other but couldn't find it out on the search. Thanks Frank.

I've recently placed an order on a AI AW with the folding stock and butt spike. No one told me that the butt spike or other features was not awailable. Sportingservices in the UK. Great service.

Make AW's to accept AE barrels and mags would be a nice improvement.

That would be pretty ass backwards to do. AE barrels dont work in the AW/AX because the AE's arent threaded under the recoil lug. Thread pitch and all is the same which is why AW/AX barrels will plug into an AE. To make AE barrels work you would have to get rid of the built in recoil lug of AW or change the threading profile. The AW mags are also far superior to the AE/AICS in every way.

The smart thing to do would be to update the AE to accept AW mags. The barrels are a non issue.

I am really jsut curious what AI could do to improve the platform, not looking for inside info.

IMO cut some weight off the rifle, round off the square fore arm, lengthen the grip slightly on both the thumb hole and the AX pistol grip...

But that is me just being a picky bitch because they are all (AE, AW, AX) pretty damn fantastic!

I agree with you jbell. AI puts out some great rifles. My AE shoots better than I can.