• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a safety issue with Bergara B-14 action and a remage barrel?

SuperBruce

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2020
Utah
I have a B-14 HMR that I'd like to rebarrel and I keep seeing threads that say you need to accomodate the bergara coned bolt but I've started to wonder: is there a safety issue with using a standard remage barrel? I know the front face of the bolt lugs (the coned, non-load bearing side) will be air gapped but is there a problem with that other than it may not feed as well? I know there are a couple shops that make b-14 specific prefits, but I'm curious if there is a safety/functionality issue that requires the chamber end to be contoured to match the coned bolt.

Since no one else chimed in..
What comes to my mind when doing that is your going to loose some of the bearing surface to your barrel threads in your action because you won’t be able to screw it in to the proper depth before hitting your bolt. It just won’t screw in all the way.
I’m sure it could be made to work if in a pinch but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if it has severe feeding and/or accuracy issues.
Just my 2 cents

Thanks @Mjnelson. I didn't think about the thread bearing surface, but presuming that's okay it sounds like it would be fine. Now I'm wondering if anybody has tried it.

Can't say for sure but I'd also be worried about portions of the rear of the case being unsupported. Depending on the cone and the recess in the barrel. This would eventually lead to case head failure which would not be pleasant.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
Can't say for sure but I'd also be worried about portions of the rear of the case being unsupported. Depending on the cone and the recess in the barrel. This would eventually lead to case head failure which would not be pleasant.
Would lack of coning make the bolt sit further out than it normally would? In my minds eye the center of the bolt head is the furthest forward part and thus doesn't prevent the round from being fully supported by the chamber.

Would lack of coning make the bolt sit further out than it normally would? In my minds eye the center of the bolt head is the furthest forward part and thus doesn't prevent the round from being fully supported by the chamber.
I think possibly you’re forgetting that Remage barrels have a counterbore. A R700 bolt head actually tucks inside the breech, but the Bergara bolt won’t do that. So you will have unsupported case, I don’t know how much off the top of my head.

I think the answer you’re really after is getting a barrel nut barrel with a flat breech face. The cone is unnecessary, doesn’t impact feeding at all, and just makes the machining of a barrel slightly more boutique and difficult.

What’s your rebarrel goal? I have a new 24” M24 Hart barrel nut barrel chambered in 6.5CM that needs a loving home, coned breech and all.

Reactions: Pvt.Donut
I think the answer you’re really after is getting a barrel nut barrel with a flat breech face. The cone is unnecessary, doesn’t impact feeding at all, and just makes the machining of a barrel slightly more boutique and difficult.
Ah, thank you, this is my error. I don't own a true remington and the rem-clone barrels I have (for an Origin) are not counter sunk so I figured this was how rems were.

What’s your rebarrel goal? I have a new 24” M24 Hart barrel nut barrel chambered in 6.5CM that needs a loving home, coned breech and all.
I'm trying to turn a meh shooting Bergara HMR (it's within their 3-shot 1 MOA guarantee but just barely) into a better shooting hunting rifle with a shorter barrel (~20") for running suppressed. As it is, the current barrel will do alright with 140 eld's but it's more like a pattern with Barnes 127 LRX bullets so I didn't think it worth the $ to chop it down to 20". I'm looking at sendero (ish) profile barrels, preferably in 7.5 twist for stabilizing heavy monos.

All that said, I didn't draw any deer tags this year so I'm more curious than anything at the current time.

Ah, thank you, this is my error. I don't own a true remington and the rem-clone barrels I have (for an Origin) are not counter sunk so I figured this was how rems were.

I'm trying to turn a meh shooting Bergara HMR (it's within their 3-shot 1 MOA guarantee but just barely) into a better shooting hunting rifle with a shorter barrel (~20") for running suppressed. As it is, the current barrel will do alright with 140 eld's but it's more like a pattern with Barnes 127 LRX bullets so I didn't think it worth the $ to chop it down to 20". I'm looking at sendero (ish) profile barrels, preferably in 7.5 twist for stabilizing heavy monos.

All that said, I didn't draw any deer tags this year so I'm more curious than anything at the current time.
Gotcha. How heavy are you thinking? It can be hard to get monos that are heavy enough to require a faster twist into a 6.5CM SAAMI platform; you either end up having to run a setup that's customized for really long COAL rounds (very long throat, medium/long action or handfeed) or you just chew up a ton of powder space.

Copper is much lighter than lead, so to get a 140gr mono requires a vastly longer bullet in the same caliber, and the 127s should stabilize just fine in an 8-twist.

Gotcha. How heavy are you thinking? It can be hard to get monos that are heavy enough to require a faster twist into a 6.5CM SAAMI platform; you either end up having to run a setup that's customized for really long COAL rounds (very long throat, medium/long action or handfeed) or you just chew up a ton of powder space.

Copper is much lighter than lead, so to get a 140gr mono requires a vastly longer bullet in the same caliber, and the 127s should stabilize just fine in an 8-twist.
I want to run the 131 Hammer Hunter or 129 Absolute Hammer bullets, both of which recommend a 7.5 twist tube. I figure a tad fast usually isn't a big deal but too slow can be a disasters so 7.5 twist was my "safe" bet to get those bullets running well presuming it is an option for whatever tube I get. I agree the 127's should run fine in 8 twist, I didn't see any tumbling out of my factory 8 twist barrel, although they did group terribly.