• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there a spray to add protection layer to over Cerakote?

SdotW

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2022
United States
Hello,

I just received the ACC Elite Chassis System in Titanium Blue.

I think that most of you are going to say just use it the way it is, but when I first get things, I like to baby my new stuff and take decent care of it.

For those that are like me, is there something that I can spray over it to give some added protection? Such as some sort of clear spray?

ypTjB7x.jpg

RhbALCg.jpg

I have many things, from plastic to Aluminum, in Blue Titanium Cerakote.

The answer is in their name.

Anything you use to put over that will be less damage resistant than the cerakote itself. That would make it more likely to look crappy after a while than without it. If you absolutely must keep it pristine, then keep it in package and don’t use it. Cerakote is remarkably durable.

Reactions: lash
Cerakote is not scratch resistant.
Really? I have a few rifles that have been through a lot that would tend to disagree with that statement. Is it scratch proof? No, but then it really depends upon the thing that is scratching at it.

Also, if you’re talking about air dry cerakote that you can apply at home, that is a different beast altogether than an oven cured cerakote. I have both.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Really? I have a few rifles that have been through a lot that would tend to disagree with that statement. Is it scratch proof? No, but then it really depends upon the thing that is scratching at it.

Also, if you’re talking about air dry cerakote that you can apply at home, that is a different beast altogether than an oven cured cerakote. I have both.
I have cerakoted Arca rails that are chipped from where they were clamped.

I have cerakoted Arca rails that are chipped from where they were clamped.
Okay. And exactly how would having an additional layer of clear coat prevent that?

Nowhere did I say that it was invincible. Even anodizing will scratch. What I said was that putting a softer clear coat over the existing cerakote will eventually look way worse than if there was none.

What I said was, “Cerakote is remarkably durable.”
That is a valid statement and should stand by itself without all kinds of ad hominem arguments being necessary.

I have seen properly applied cerakote jobs and also those that have not been applied over a properly prepared substrate. It makes a huge difference.

Finally, I have a cerakoted action with integral rail, that has seen many barrels and tens of thousands of rounds and it has never chipped. Worn and damaged from use, yes, but never chipped.

Last edited:

Cerakote can definitely scratch and chip.

My hunting rifle slid down a boulder, and that black cerakoted barrel definitely shows it.

However, rifles are tools and I think a rifle with "character" looks much better than one that looks brand new. I personally wouldn't bother trying to protect a chassis' cerakote finish. And if one was to do that, they would need to be careful to not alter the dimensions of things such as the ARCA rail and mag wells.

Cerakote can definitely scratch and chip.

My hunting rifle slid down a boulder, and that black cerakoted barrel definitely shows it.

However, rifles are tools and I think a rifle with "character" looks much better than one that looks brand new. I personally wouldn't bother trying to protect a chassis' cerakote finish. And if one was to do that, they would need to be careful to not alter the dimensions of things such as the ARCA rail and mag wells.
True. I never said that they cannot. See my post right above yours.

Reactions: kthomas
True. I never said that they cannot. See my post right above yours.
Dude, this has been a tough thread for you.

Myself, I'm in the same camp. It's the best coating to use for an item, before you put to use said item.

Easy... Keep it in that box you got there problem solved
I was gonna say this, that packaging looks pretty good.

And I think if your using the ARCA rail any coating is going to wear no matter how tough it is so maybe it's best to save on after market coatings and get the chassis re-cerakoted in a year or 2 when it's dinged up.

Lol. I probably set myself up for that. 🤷🏻‍♂️
As Mick Jagger once sang "to get your fair share of abuse."

I have received some particularly juicy roasts. Instead of getting insulted, I laugh at the really good bon mot that comes along an applaud the guy, even if he was legitimately trying to hurt my feelings or defecate on me. What is anyone going to do about it? Call me more names?

To quote my friend, Lee, "I have been called worse by people more important to me."

Reactions: AMGtuned and lash
Hell yeah dude! Welcome! Run that sweet looking rig right until it's all beat up, then do it again.

Still running the shit out of my can covers! They're holding up well! Don't push them without a PX upgrade here; but you may be able to find a market here if you're still doing it!

Reactions: SdotW
Hell yeah dude! Welcome! Run that sweet looking rig right until it's all beat up, then do it again.

Still running the shit out of my can covers! They're holding up well! Don't push them without a PX upgrade here; but you may be able to find a market here if you're still doing it!
Thank you bud, I have decided to just run it.

I'm glad you're still enjoying your cover! I'm definitely still making covers.
I did see that I needed an upgrade to sell here. I should probably try it for a month to see what kind of response I get.

Starting throwing on the chassis accessories last night, here is a pic.
tYUulqB.jpg

Thank you bud, I have decided to just run it.

I'm glad you're still enjoying your cover! I'm definitely still making covers.
I did see that I needed an upgrade to sell here. I should probably try it for a month to see what kind of response I get.

Starting throwing on the chassis accessories last night, here is a pic.
tYUulqB.jpg
Your Baker wings are on backwards.

Reactions: Schütze and lash