• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Is there a "standard" thread for suppressors and brakes?

Beyschaefer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Behind the Redwood Curtain, CA
I currently live in the Peoples Republic of California, and cannot legally obtain a suppressor, however... in a couple years, I may be moving to a much more freedom-friendly state.
One of the first things I intend to do after getting power and water at my new place (wherever it's gonna be) will be to get the papers going for a suppressor.

What I'm thinking is that I have two rifles that I plan on threading for brakes (both .308 ), and that got me thinking about threading for BOTH a brake and suppressor.

What thread size/pitch would be the most common choice for both a brake and a suppressor later on, assuming there is one "common" thread?

Thanks in advance!

Ive been wondering myself...ive seen 5/8x24 before and noticed that it seems to be the standard, but what does it physically describe? Sounds like something like the pitch of the screws by the diameter maybe?

5/8x24 is for mostly large frame AR's or bolts. Regular 5.56/.223 semi-autos and the like are typically 1/2x28.

Ive been wondering myself...ive seen 5/8x24 before and noticed that it seems to be the standard, but what does it physically describe? Sounds like something like the pitch of the screws by the diameter maybe?

You're on the right track..
A 5/8"-24 thread describes a thread that is nominally 5/8" in diameter, measuring across the thread-tops, and having 24 threads per inch.

Regarding 5/8-24 vs 1/2-28... Do I understand the legalities correctly that having multiple thread adapters that screw into a can are viewed by ATFE as "separate" cans? I'm still studying up on the finer points...

Regarding 5/8-24 vs 1/2-28... Do I understand the legalities correctly that having multiple thread adapters that screw into a can are viewed by ATFE as "separate" cans? I'm still studying up on the finer points...

Negative...thread adapters are not considered "separate cans."

does the class of thread matter. like my rem was threaded with class 3 threads. are all cans have class 3 threads or a different class? or could a class 2 work good with a class 3?

does the class of thread matter. like my rem was threaded with class 3 threads. are all cans have class 3 threads or a different class? or could a class 2 work good with a class 3?

That's going to depend on the manufacterer, but most are 3.

Not all the same.
Steyr AUG is 13Mx1LH. (And, as I found out from TROS, Steyr puts different shoulder profile and thread lengths on the various barrel lengths:14", 16", 20" and 24")

However I think if you went with 5/8x24 on a .30 caliber can (like I'm doing with a TBAC 30P1) and wanted to put it on a rifle that is threaded 1/2x28 you could contact TROS to get an adapter made 5/8x24 outside to 1/2x28 inside.

You would screw the adapter to the 1/2x28 barrel, then screw the 5/8x24 can onto the adapter.

The .30 caliber suppressor will work on smaller calibers as well.
Is that explained well enough?

but with both guns being .308, just go 5/8x24.

Last edited:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard
Tolerance classes

A classification system exists for ease of manufacture and interchangeability of fabricated threaded items. Most (but certainly not all) threaded items are made to a classification standard called the Unified Screw Thread Standard Series. This system is analogous to the fits used with assembled parts.

Classes 1A, 2A, 3A apply to external threads; Classes 1B, 2B, 3B apply to internal threads.

Class 1 threads are loosely fitting threads intended for ease of assembly or use in a dirty environment.

Class 2 threads are the most common. They are designed to maximize strength considering typical machine shop capability and machine practice.

Class 3 threads are used for closer tolerances.

Here are the prints of the thread specs we recommend

Thunder Beast Arms Corporation [TBAC] | Tech | THREAD SPECIFICATIONS (follow link for all specs and PDF)

TBAC_Centerfire_Rifle_Thread_Guide.jpg