• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is there any easy way to end up with a 50 Beowulf bolt action?

AMMOWASTER

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2007
Reno, NV
Something simple like a rebarrel? I know there isn't much of a demand but I am guessing there's no easy solution because I've never seen one. Something like a Ruger American rebarreled would be ideal.

I'd imagine you could off something with the x39 bolt face.

Runs really well in an AR platform, not sure what you'd gain with a bolt. Factor in the cost of buying a reamer when you figure cost to get a barrel spun up. Tromix looks to be out of the beo game and I'm not sure where you could rent a reamer from.

I'd imagine you could off something with the x39 bolt face.

Runs really well in an AR platform, not sure what you'd gain with a bolt. Factor in the cost of buying a reamer when you figure cost to get a barrel spun up. Tromix looks to be out of the beo game and I'm not sure where you could rent a reamer from.
It would most likely be used exclusively for heavy subs.

Must have a can with a big hole in it for flinging subs. I find I can still push 420s or 500s around 1350-1400 with a 16incher. I'd still pick 458 if I were doing it over again.

Any rifle in 6.5 Grendel or 6 ARC and rebarel it. Getting it to feed from a mag will probably take some finessing.
Howa and Ruger both make rifles in that caliber.

Any rifle in 6.5 Grendel or 6 ARC and rebarel it. Getting it to feed from a mag will probably take some finessing.
Howa and Ruger both make rifles in that caliber.
Yes I am aware. I was hoping for someone with experience and details on the finessing involved. On the Ruger feeding would be via an AR mag so that's straightforward enough unless someone thought a Mini 30 mag would be better for some reason but I doubt it. The Howa guns are great but the proprieatary mag might be an issue. Think the biggest they did was the 450 Bushmaster.

I am not much of a tinkerer which is why I asked for an easy way. I can usually figure out parts swapping but when it comes to actual tuning that can be a much different story.

The ruger seems like the easiest option, but the barrel is a 1”x16 thread…. Does that leave enough meat for a 50 cal barrel?

Built one off a Savage 10 when the Beowulf first came out. Easy to do. Used a PTG x39 bolt face and threaded and chambered a blank. Can't remember if I couldn't get or couldn't afford detachable mags. Modded the internal mag and got it to feed. Fun gun with heavy bullets.

Have a buddy who built a 450 bushmaster for the same thing. Is there any benefit to switching things up to a 450 raptor, other than it’s not a .50? You could push .458 500/550/600’s right up to transonic, parent case is 308.

Built one off a Savage 10 when the Beowulf first came out. Easy to do. Used a PTG x39 bolt face and threaded and chambered a blank. Can't remember if I couldn't get or couldn't afford detachable mags. Modded the internal mag and got it to feed. Fun gun with heavy bullets.
What was the original chambering? 308 223? You remember what you did to the mag to get it to feed?

Have a buddy who built a 450 bushmaster for the same thing. Is there any benefit to switching things up to a 450 raptor, other than it’s not a .50? You could push .458 500/550/600’s right up to transonic, parent case is 308.
Are you talking about 45 Raptor? I thought that used .452 bullets not 458. Main reason is that I already have a 50 Beowulf AR upper and 500S&W guns so I can use bullets with them all.

Reactions: BJames
Are you talking about 45 Raptor? I thought that used .452 bullets not 458. Main reason is that I already have a 50 Beowulf AR upper and 500S&W guns so I can use bullets with them all.
Yep, that’s it. Looks like I was mistaken, you’re correct.

Cross using components makes total sense. I would think, any short action with the correct bolt face could be made to work. Easiest would be something already in that case head family, then rebarrel and sort out any feeding issues from there. My bud’s bolt action 450 bushmaster shooting heavy subs was a ton of fun.

What was the original chambering? 308 223? You remember what you did to the mag to get it to feed?
.308 if memory serves. Think I had to trim tbe follower and make a small spacer to keep rounds from sliding under recoil. Now days you could use a single stack bottom metal or one that uses AR mags. 50 Beowulf works best with their mags but you can use regular AR mags.

Old thread I know. X-Caliber lists a prefit barrel for the Ruger American in .50 Beowulf. Seems like the easy thing would be to get a 6.5 Grendel AR mag gun, swap barrels and good to go with maybe a little magazine tuning.