• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this a “thing” …. ?

category_theory

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2020
SF Bay Area
Ok. So I used specific powders for specific loads…. Go figure, right?! I typically buy a few single pound bottles of powder at a time… But I’m sure as others have found there can be consistency issues bw batches and bottles of the same powder. So …. My thought is why not mix them all up? Dump them into the same tub and mix it up to make them more consistent? Is that a thing people do?

Reactions: 338dude
One thing I’ve consistently heard is never mix powders…..

I've heard of folks doing that with WC-844 (milsurp h335) since the lots vary so bad.

Guys on arfcom would mix them up in a 5 gallon bucket before doing load dev.

Or just buy the powders in bigger 4lb or 8lb jugs.
until you have less than a pound left from a jug and it's not enough for a match/shooting session
How would you dehydrate?
in a normal food dehydrator. doesn't take long and helps with lot to lot variance (less moisture equals more kernels as well equals more speed)

I've thought about doing this but couldn't think of a way to mitigate static that I was comfortable with.

Buy 8 lbs jugs vs 1. Or lots of the same 1 lbs. Unless you just can’t find anything but several different lots of 1 lbs.

When you get down to the last bit of an 8 lbs just mix in with the next. Realizing the new powder is still 90+% new lot and will still show variations if there’s any

Personally I don’t even mess with 1 lbs bottles anymore. 8-24 lbs at a crack and just run out of that for multiple guns in same calibers

Reactions: simonp
Exactly! Same powder different lots, should make the powder far more consistent, statistically and physically…. Unless I’m missing something…. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Mostly what you're missing is actual facts to support your claim that this practice would make the powder "far more consistent statistically and physically."

plan your loads better so you waste less . up to you whether or not you want to mix different lots I wouldn't do it that's my choice the loss of a few kernels in the big picture I don't mind plan it out so you end up with 2 lighter loaded rounds or one to shoot into the dirt or to warm up your barrel . I would mind if something dumb like I blew 1/2 my face off or was missing fingers or an eye .

As I look over at my 30lb barrel of random lots of H4350 lol. Seems ok to me!

If I find a “deal” on one pounder I automatically pour them all together and mix them up.

I know a guy that has 55gal drums of varget

Reactions: category_theory
plan your loads better so you waste less . up to you whether or not you want to mix different lots I wouldn't do it that's my choice the loss of a few kernels in the big picture I don't mind plan it out so you end up with 2 lighter loaded rounds or one to shoot into the dirt or to warm up your barrel . I would mind if something dumb like I blew 1/2 my face off or was missing fingers or an eye .
Huh?

Reactions: Robert4
I mix same powders. For example, I had 2 pounds of IMR 4064 and bought a new 8 pounder. I dumped it all in an old 8 pound Unique jug that's very large. 10 pounds of 4064 only fills it a little over half full. Then tumble it about 20 times and label the mix with the lot #s and dates.

I would think pouring two powders together would cause the moisture content of the two to equalize between them.

Has anyone ever determined if there is a sweet spot when it comes to humidity? I assume dryer is better, and I remember seeing a study that suggested moisture reduced velocity. But what about consistency?

I’ve done this, so take my advice as you will.

I had a hot and cold lot of 4895. I left a lbs of each out for 2 days. Then shot 10 of each with my normal load. The lots then lined up within 5fps. I felt comfortable after this test to leave all of the powder out for a few days then I mixed them together and it’s worked well in this instance.

all I was trying to say was plan your loads a little better so you create less wasted powder .
guess I did go around my elbow to get to my ass on that one

all I was trying to say was plan your loads a little better so you create less wasted powder .
guess I did go around my elbow to get to my ass on that one
My question had nothing to do w wasted powder. The questions main point was about getting more consistency from powder lot to lot. But from what folks are saying it is in fact a thing and seems somewhat related to moisture levels.

Reactions: acudaowner
I suppose a viable option would be to buy a container of powder, shoot half of it, then buy the next container and dump half of it into the old one, burn up all of that, then buy another container and mix it half half with the previous leftover half, etc. in theory, your powder performance would only change significantly if the manufacturer consistently drifted hotter or cooler on burn rate.

I suppose a viable option would be to buy a container of powder, shoot half of it, then buy the next container and dump half of it into the old one, burn up all of that, then buy another container and mix it half half with the previous leftover half, etc. in theory, your powder performance would only change significantly if the manufacturer consistently drifted hotter or cooler on burn rate.
A true regression to the mean, in practice! :)

Reactions: Namekagon
absolutely a thing..

common practice in with the older military marksmanship teams. MK262 specifically can carry a large spread over lots/etc.

At All Navy/All Fleet, Interservice, Nationals, members of the team would pull the bullet, and dump all the powder together from a "group" of ammo depending on the person/team. Take the total weight of the powder, divide by # of rounds, reload powder in each piece, and reseat bullet. Much more consistent powder load, and powder mix across all the ammo.

absolutely a thing..

common practice in with the older military marksmanship teams. MK262 specifically can carry a large spread over lots/etc.

At All Navy/All Fleet, Interservice, Nationals, members of the team would pull the bullet, and dump all the powder together from a "group" of ammo depending on the person/team. Take the total weight of the powder, divide by # of rounds, reload powder in each piece, and reseat bullet. Much more consistent powder load, and powder mix across all the ammo.
It may sound weird but I love having some epiphany or insight then finding out others have had it as well. As an engineer it somehow makes feel at ease.

I pour them into a disposable aluminum BBQ tin and then let it sit out for two days. Then pour it all back into a jug. The biggest reason different lots vary in speed and pressure is moisture content in the powder. By allowing them to acclimate together they will reach homeostasis and "normalize".

This works well for me in Colorado. If you live in the SE where you have massive humidity issues you won't want to do this. Mix the powder and get it back in the jug ASAP. You will have to fight the powder wanting to absorb moisture and slow down while increasing in pressure.

Don't put powder in a food dehydrator. He's trolling.
not trolling

but living in CO now where there isn't humidity it's probably a lot less needed