• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is this a good deal?

Clubbinaz

Private
Minuteman
I'm looking at a new rifle from Edward Arms here in Phoenix. They are local so I am checking them out, here's the specs

Billet upper/lower,
Mega Tac Trigger
KNS Pins
16" Chrome Lined barrel in 556
large take down pins
Rifle length YHM quad rail with end cap, low pro gas block and black gas tube,
MagPul mbus sights,
MOE+ Grip
CTR Stock
Rail Vertical Grip also my MagPul
1 window Pmag and hard case for $1200.00.

Sound like a good deal?

This is what the upper looks like
full_rifle.jpg

And the lower resembles this one
mid_smooth1.jpg

Re: Is this a good deal?

Midlength or carbine gas?

Looking at their website, it is unclear what barrels they use. Some are listed as 1/9 and some as 1/7 twist.

Honest answer, I think you could get a better rifle for the same or less money. I would pass.

I'd definitely pass....being that it is a franken gun, later down the road if you sell it, you will not get back much money at all. For that same money you could get a Bravo Company, Colt, or for a tad more....Daniel Defense

KnockAround Guy, got to agree with Deadly on this one, probably some better options out there. If you are looking for a quality AR and since these folks are local why don't you look up Scott at Specialized Dynamics.

Total pass, reasons already mentioned.

Well, I took a look at it in person and boy it's really nice, I understand the comments but I really like the way they put it together. I asked about the barrels and they are all OEM manufactured for them out of Treated 4140 Chrome Moly Steel. They have a carbine gas system and there's a ton of good gunsmithing going on. In fact all their parts are OEM except the MagPul furniture and the quad rail /muzzle brake.

Assembling an AR isn't really gun smithing.

You should pass unless you just need to buy there for some reason.

Unnecessary risk. Known quality is available for less money.

I've never heard of some of those parts.

Pass, for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnockAround Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I took a look at it in person and boy it's really nice, I understand the comments but I really like the way they put it together. I asked about the barrels and they are all OEM manufactured for them out of Treated 4140 Chrome Moly Steel. They have a carbine gas system and there's a ton of good gunsmithing going on. In fact all their parts are OEM except the MagPul furniture and the quad rail /muzzle brake.</div></div> You got some pretty good advice from members; but, if still want it go buy it as you don't need permission.

You should definitely buy it! In fact, you should buy two. Although, I can't think of a good reason for me to pay that much for that gun, you should definitely buy it!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd definitely pass....being that it is a franken gun, later down the road if you sell it, you will not get back much money at all. For that same money you could get a Bravo Company, Colt, or for a tad more....Daniel Defense </div></div>

^This. If you can get them to $900 out the door, then maybe. Don't pay $1200 for a frankengun unless you're getting all highend parts: noveske barrel and gas block, geissele trigger, magpul furniture, larue or DD rail system, etc etc etc. Hell, you can find Colts sometimes for that price. Buy right the first time.

I would hold off for reasons others have stated. For now much more you can get a Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, Larue and a few others that will be hands down better in reliability than this.

I really wanted a billet set with a lot of the features that this gun comes with, also the fact that I can just go to the them locally is really worth something to me if anything "funny" happens. I'll let you know.

I checked Daniel Defenses web site and you actually can't get a rifle for this price, nor Noveske as the comment above stated. I'm into keeping things local as well so we'll see.

I didn't say you could get them for that price lol. I said for not much more you can. If you look around enough you can find a DDM4 for aroun $1400-$1500, sometimes less. I paid a little over $900 for my DD but I got one hell of a deal through work.

Here we see in action the difference between asking for advice, and asking for validation of a decision already made. No name parts guns like that are not worth $1200, and no amount of telling us how much you like it will make it so. Nobody is saying it's a bad gun, but near that price point, you could do better.

Buy a Seekins Billet set and start building your own.
1 your learn a thing a two.
2 you will put the exact parts you want in your build after doing some research on quality parts.

Its a good looking rifle but looks aren't everything. S others have stated there are more quality options out there for that kinda scratch. Can get even more for your scratch by going lightly used. Just sayin....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnockAround Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked about the barrels and they are all OEM manufactured for them out of Treated 4140 Chrome Moly Steel</div></div>

OEM, in this case, is being misused. In the automotive business, where I've spent my life, it means "Original Equipment Manufacturer" and is used to denote parts from the vehicle manufacturer. For example, if you go to the Chevy dealer and buy a piston, it comes in a blue and white box with the GM/Chevrolet logo on it and is an OEM part. Go to the corner auto parts store and buy one, and it is NOT a factory/OEM part. It's probably made to slightly lesser specs and will be cheaper because it is of lesser quality.
So, an "OEM barrel' doesn't mean anything, unless they are making their barrels onsite, in which case they'd probably call them EAC barrels. "Treated blah blah blah steel" is pretty much like saying "It' a barrel that's not stainless" since they're just repeating an industry standard. Tolerances are what matter, and better-known barrel makers keep their tolerances low.
I'd bet all the people on this board can assemble an AR platform from a pile of parts in a lazy hour or so. I've done it several times, and I'll bet most of the posters recommending you pass on this 'deal' have too.
For a gob less cash, you can buy a Spike's Tactical or Rock River rifle and a case of ammo and shoot the piss out of it. For not much more, you can buy higher end ARs like Noveske/Larue/DD You should also check out Bushmaster, though there are Bushy haters that will chime in. For $1200, you are treading on Colt territory.
But would I pay $1200 for an AR assembled from parts, especially with no brand names? Hell no. You're getting good advice, so listen to it. Especially the post about buying your own upper and lower, and assembling your AR from parts you pick. You'll learn a lot about ARs and discover that assembling one is easy. It's not "gunsmithing", and troubleshooting is straightforward.
Again: Pass, for that much cash. With a no-name upper and lower, a mystery barrel of (apparently) unknown twist, I'd pay around $750.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finbox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pass...you could have match barrel for that price...

Order a larue predatar and be done with it.

http://www.laruetactical.com/16”-larue-tactical-predatar-556 Better deal </div></div>

This! I have a 16" predator 5.56 and absolutely love it. It has ran flawlessly for a couple of years of competition abuse.

like everyone else has said....NOT worth 1200.......you could assemble your own with better "Known quality" parts for less or around that...or (god forbid) a little more....but that "little" more would go a long way if you would happen to have to sell it. or atleast ease (my) mind on quality/reliability.

But I feel as though your mind is already made up.

From your responses is sounds like you're dead set on this thing regardless of what we say. It's your money.

Happly Buy it then look at you groups at 100 yards then feel sad. Congratulations you have made your first gun impulse buy!!....we have all done it. And we all felt like suckers after we found out.

Take the responses here as a "preview" of how successful you would be trying sell that gun for a premium price later on. That should give you a fair indication of how good a deal it is.

Search around for a good deal on used quality stuff, you will most likely be able to find more gun for the money, even locally.