• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is this a normal vortex experience??

Dustin Bugal

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2017
I got a viper PST 6-24 ffp this weekend and I'm less than impressed.. the edge of the scope seems pretty fuzzy and when I adjust the paralex for 100 yards I have to have it turned to 75 on the knob to make it the most clear. I'm coming from an athlon Argos 6-24x50 and other then the vortex being less bulky and having nicer clicks, I don't see the reason for it being 3 times the price. Anyone else have a similar experience.

Do you have the ocular ring properly setup for your vision?

if it's an issue with the scope I'm sure Vortex would be glad to take a look at it.

The numbers on the paralax are just for reference, they rarely line up perfectly for a paralegal free image. Many scopes don't even have numbers just for that reason. The fuzziness you mention, that's a different issue. I would suggest you contact Vortex, with their excellent Warrenty program they will take care of you.

Of course is not a "normal experience". The PST is not the best scope in the world but a very good one for its price point. Glass clarity is very subjective but I wouldn't say the PST has a fuzzy edge. As said before double check the diopter first and if you still having problems with it just make a call to Vortex, they will take care of you.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Check your ocular lense and your eye relief for the clarity aspect. As far as the parallax goes, that's perfectly normal, don't get hung up on the numbers.

The PST is a great scope (especially for the $$), and Vortex is a phenomenal company. If you can't fix it by adjusting a few things, then Vortex will.

It's certainly not something I've noticed on my PST 6-24. I think mine is very clear indeed.

Not normal at all. Make sure everything is adjusted properly with the diopter and reticle and if there is still an issue contact Vortex and have them take a look. The parallax knob as mentioned isn't going to be perfect. Think I have only had one scope that was close to right one.

I have the same scope and have no issues. I take horrible through the scope pics but here is one at 100 and 400 yards. How does it compare to yours? Looking through the scope it is clearer than the pics but just to give an idea.

53Wzf8D.jpg

40NFCcZ.jpg

Of course is not a "normal experience". The PST is not the best scope in the world but a very good one for its price point. Glass clarity is very subjective but I wouldn't say the PST has a fuzzy edge. As said before double check the diopter first and if you still having problems with it just make a call to Vortex, they will take care of you.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
I know I am a noob here, but I've owned a few PST's and 2 pairs of Viper Binos and I think across the board Vipers lack edge to edge clarity.

Im very surprised they are recommended so often here. My latest one doesn't track so it's going back to Vortex for warranty work. I think I'll try a SWFA SS 3-15 this time around.

Last edited:
Not normal at all. Make sure everything is adjusted properly with the diopter and reticle and if there is still an issue contact Vortex and have them take a look. The parallax knob as mentioned isn't going to be perfect. Think I have only had one scope that was close to right one.

I have the same scope and have no issues. I take horrible through the scope pics but here is one at 100 and 400 yards. How does it compare to yours? Looking through the scope it is clearer than the pics but just to give an idea.

53Wzf8D.jpg

40NFCcZ.jpg

I can distinctly make out a soft edge, a poor handle on chromatic abberation, and vignetting... And I'm on a phone. Is either pic at 24x?

I know I am a noob here, but I've owned a few PST's and 2 pairs of Viper Binos and I think across the board Vipers lack edge to edge clarity.

Im very surprised they are recommended so often here. My latest one doesn't track so it's going back to Vortex for warranty work. I think I'll try a SWFA SS 3-15 this time around.

I have had a couple Vortex, not recently but the Vipers from about 6-7 years ago. By far the absolute worst optically in that price range. I am sure the Razors are everything everybody says they are, but my experience with the mid level Vortex has been poor. My weaver grand slams, T-series and V series literally blew the Vortex viper away for resolution and color.

Having said that, and having had such good experience with previous Weavers I purchased the Super Slam Tactical 4-20 FF Mil/Mil a few years ago and it works great. I see with it, i can dial it up and down and hit what I'm aiming at ----- that's what really counts!

Agreed. I've always been a little astounded as well. And I have a couple myself.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I can distinctly make out a soft edge, a poor handle on chromatic abberation, and vignetting... And I'm on a phone. Is either pic at 24x?

Both pics are at 24x and were snapped fast with a cell phone. As I said the picture in person is better.

Well you don;t have to worry about the PST anymore as they are being discontinued and replaced with the Gen II PST which offers better glass and knobs over the previous version.

Only looked through a vortex pst briefly, but I used a swfa 3-15 for a while and it was a great scope. I could probably drive nails with it, and it was mechanically perfect. The only complaint I had was that mirage would really destroy the image, and now that I have a Razor II, I realize that the FOV is a little narrow. For $699 i give it two thumbs up.

For me a normal Vortex experience is having to send every Vortex product I own back multiple times, even the Razor 2. It's been back twice and still isn't 100% right. Customer service overall has been very good, and turn around times are fast so there is that. Just wish I didn't have to use their legendary warranty so much.

My intention is not to bash on you but to ask serious questions to you JMGlasgow. 1-have you ever been 100% happy with an optic straight out of the box? 2- if not and it was another brand did you send it back and was your CS experience as good? Would you send it back again having to deal with the same CS?
here is why i ask 1- In my line of work i know people that are anal as fuck (no disrespect) and just bitch about what i percieve as the littlest most trivial things. BUT if it is an issue to them then it needs to be addressed.
So with that has vortex or another ccompany ever said "that is normal"? Sometimes i have to tell people that, some things don't work like people think they should.
again this might seem like i am bashing you but far far from it. Probably comes down to are your issues with the products issues that would affect 99% of us or just 1%. And if they were not so willing to help would you still ask for a solution?

I have 8 optics from Vortex, and 2 from Nightforce and the paralax setting is not exact on any one of these, its more of an adjustment of clarity to your eye. I have had to send back two items to Vortex, one was for reticle being canted and the other was for a spotting scope that took a tumble in high winds. Both of these were fixed and returned within 5 days. While I do not have any experience with the Athlon optics I can say that the CS from Vortex is what sets it apart from most others. Try sending back an optic to Nightforce or Athalon and see how quickly your needs are attended to.

Every time I've sent a scope in has been for legitimate reasons. Not nit picking over small details. These were for genuine failures or issues. I repaired rifle scopes for a few years at Burris. I've been happy with several optics straight out of the box. Don't get me wrong, I really do like my Vortex stuff, as well as my Steiner, Burris, Bushnell, and Leupold.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have very bad luck with optics. Every optic I've owned has been sent back at least once for legitimate reasons.

My next optic will probably be a Nightforce SHV F1.

Thanks for all the replays everyone, and yes everything is adjusted correctly. I went back, read the manual, even though I know how to adjust a scope I just figured I'd check to see if there was anything I didn't know in it. also I know that the Parallax numbers are just for reference but I figured if the numbers were going to be on there on $1,000 scope they would be closer than they are, and I actually found upon further messing with it that The Parallax and clarity doesn't line up. At 100 yards If I adjust the scope to where there's no parallax it is at about 60 on the dial if I adjust it to where the target is most clear it's at about 75.

O/P, did you see the sticky above regarding how to properly set up the diopter? : https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/forum/...sa-on-diopters

Some experienced scope users don't know the proper way to do it. I don't know if it will help, but it's a good read for reference.

Edit: you posted your reply just before I posted this. O/P just remember the Parallax numbers on a scope knob do not always reflect the true range. It is not intended to be a range finder. Some of my scopes don't line up either.

If you think there is an issue, get ahold of Vortex and send it in. To be honest, When I looked through a PST, I wasn't impressed. I was even less impressed with a Burris XTR II.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to hear about all these issues as well I have 4 vortex scopes from different quality levels crossfire to pst and they all work great. I've never been too picky about scopes though other guys might have a better eye for scopes then I do.

Every time I've sent a scope in has been for legitimate reasons. Not nit picking over small details. These were for genuine failures or issues. I repaired rifle scopes for a few years at Burris. I've been happy with several optics straight out of the box. Don't get me wrong, I really do like my Vortex stuff, as well as my Steiner, Burris, Bushnell, and Leupold.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I have very bad luck with optics. Every optic I've owned has been sent back at least once for legitimate reasons.

My next optic will probably be a Nightforce SHV F1.

Thanks for answering that without taking offense. I think you could tell where I was going. I have a knack for pissing people off with "rude" questions.

Something not right. I have several of these and they are all very good quality. If there is truly an issue, Vortex is the BEST on warranty.

I used to be a cabelas hater but after using there customer service on sig 2000 they exchanged my bad 2000 for a new one no questions asked.
I went from a poorly working range finder to one that works amazing and I didn't have to deal with sig.
I'll most likely be buying optics from cabelas from here on out since Imy lucky enough to have a cabelas local to me.
I to have a 3-15 swfa and you guys are making me feel good. I wished I had the money to buy pst