• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Is this an issue with my barrel?

raider1v1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I just received my 12.5" BCM Stainless Barrel and there are two spots/chunks in the barrel where the gas port was drilled that are not able to be removed through cleaning. Will these go away with the first firing? I haven't built an AR from scratch before, and again, wanted to verify before moving forward.

Re: Is this an issue with my barrel?

I have tried to remove them with a brass brush and with a small diameter wooden dowel. I am assuming at this point i need to send it back. Is that correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 73 fastback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a burr on the gas port from the drilling operation? </div></div>

yes its on the inside of the barrel. i tried to take a picture but i couldn't get the camera aligned just right.

i tried the brush and a thin wood dowel and both were a no go. i read some people who 'shoot them out' but last time i checked lead was much softer than SS410....

i got an answer back and they are having me send it back in. i hope i get a quick turn around since i am having to return it back the same day it arrived.

I've always been told by the maker it will shoot out on first firing and it always has.