• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this barrel dying

danftl2

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2023
port st lucie
The barrel shoots .30-.5 MOA and i am loving it however the it puts marks on the case mouth Brass is trimmed 1.9095 with henderson trimmer
There is jagged edges at the end of chamber
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor Custom Version

Attachments

• IMG_0002-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg
    IMG_0002-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0011-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg
    IMG_0011-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0010-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg
    IMG_0010-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 104
Lucky. You get to try a brand new barrel now in a sweet contour of you liking!

Attachments

• IMG_5183.jpeg
    IMG_5183.jpeg
    520 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5182.jpeg
    IMG_5182.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5180.jpeg
    IMG_5180.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_5186.jpeg
    IMG_5186.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5185.jpeg
    IMG_5185.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5182.jpeg
    IMG_5182.jpeg
    568.6 KB · Views: 124
Is this the same rifle you returned to Ruger already ?

It's only going to get worse if you keep shooting shooting it. You know, just like every other rifle. ;)

Did they look at the chamber/bore ?

Could those "jagged edges" be a carbon ring that has been made jagged by a brush ? I can't tell from pics on this rig .

Here are the case pics after fire
I think I can only see what you are talking about in one of those pics?

1687956576187.png

In any case, I dont think the barrel being shot a bit has anything to do with that. Maybe feeding and extracting empty rounds but thats not anything I would worry about.
Clean your barrel and keep shooting.

Your barrel looks fine. It's just getting broken in good. How many rounds have you shot through it?

The barrel isn't causing the marks on your brass.

so sad , yes your metal barrel is dying it may have been a great barrel in it's time , a time that's long past . it gave it's all for what it was made for it ran through think and thin , rainy days and Monday's through ups and downs it did it's all for you and your gun to work properly now it's earned it's rest and it is time for you to get a new younger barrel and abuse it till you kill it .
Amid the grief of losing a loved one, it can be difficult to articulate the impact that person had on your life and the lives of others. Delivered during the memorial or funeral service, a eulogy is a speech that’s written by a person who was close to the departed friend and barrel . lol hope you feel better cause buying a new one might cost you an arm and leg or maybe it's just mine 10 month wait and 1k cost . ahmen

You still have another 1000+ rounds left in that barrel. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Might be time to get a barrel on order though depending on how much you shoot. Barrel wait times are a real thing.

Looks like you are a bit enthusiastic with the deburr tool. Might want to chamfer and debur slightly less.

With the deburr tool you just need to remove the burr; no need to cut into the neck. And the chamfer tool just take the 90 deg angle off. The amount cut with the chamfer tool shouldn't be more than 50% of the neck thickness.

Looks like you are a bit enthusiastic with the deburr tool. Might want to chamfer and debur slightly less.

With the deburr tool you just need to remove the burr; no need to cut into the neck. And the chamfer tool just take the 90 deg angle off. The amount cut with the chamfer tool shouldn't be more than 50% of the neck thickness.
That’s not how a 3in1 works.

I am using a Henderson trimmer he sets the trimmer head before sending it.
However it may need to be adjusted a little.

That’s not how a 3in1 works.
True, but the 3-way that I have cuts a 90 deg angle at 60 deg offset of the case mouth and the outside cutter is adjusted to remove minimal material from the outer edge.

The OP on the other hand seems to be using a Lyman VLD type chamfer tool and probably the Lyman deburr tool on the other end. Overusing both at the same time leaves a very thin, sharp edge that is deformed very easily. No need to ask me how I know.

Judging by the large shiny area on the outside of the neck and the thin edge of the case mouth it seems very likely.

Edit: Looks like I typed too slow. I have no idea what a henderson trimmer looks like, but it does seem to need some adjustments.

Attachments

• IMG_5180.jpg
    IMG_5180.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5182~2.jpg
    IMG_5182~2.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 26
True, but the 3-way that I have cuts a 90 deg angle at 60 deg offset of the case mouth and the outside cutter is adjusted to remove minimal material from the outer edge.

The OP on the other hand seems to be using a Lyman VLD type chamfer tool and probably the Lyman deburr tool on the other end. Overusing both at the same time leaves a very thin, sharp edge that is deformed very easily. No need to ask me how I know.

Judging by the large shiny area on the outside of the neck and the thin edge of the case mouth it seems very likely.
He’s told you twice now exactly what he’s trimming with, no need to make incorrect speculations.
And I won’t bother asking since you clearly don’t.

Since I clearly don't read very well (my apologies) I had a look around at what the henderson trimmer looks like and how it works. Quite a nifty little machine.

And it appears my original surmise is correct. Too much chamfer and deburr.

The deburr blade set too close to the pilot and the chamfer blade set too far from the pilot.

Think we solved it Todd Henderson called me said it was definitely to much chamfer on OD he is sending out a new cutting head with it adjusted for the thicker Norma brass.

Reactions: Johnerz