• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Is this bolt junk?

mscott

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Ohio
This came out of a friends rifle and it looks like the face is worn enough to get down to the extractor groove. Is this bolt history?
boltface002.jpg

boltface001.jpg

Re: Is this bolt junk?

The top of the nose being worn like that is not good as the extractor is certainly not supported as well as it should be.
Does the gun extract ok, or is there a hiccup after the bolt is completely open and before the bolt moves more than about 1/16" rearward?

Re: Is this bolt junk?

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of the Sako type extractor as well, but thought I'd check for other opinions.

Gun hasn't been fired with this bolt, so I don't know about function. It's an obvious mis-match set up as the bolt shows about 30 more years of wear and coloration compared to the rifle. Also takes about .009 of scotch tape to make the bolt not close on my go gauge. I'm guessing the easiest fix would be have the recoil lug surface ground to get the barrel moved back .006 or so.