• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this build worth it?

Gondy223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2006
Troy, MT.
Hey guys,
I just ordered the last of the parts for my .308 and was thinking about maybe doing a .243 build. My plan is to get a Howa 1500 barreled action, a B&C stock, Timney trigger and possibly a Bushnell 3200 (Mil/Mil) scope for it. I was planning on having it as a little plinker. What do you guys think?

Re: Is this build worth it?

A 22LR is a plinker. A 243 for plinking will burn a whole in your pocket. What are you using it for? I'd look into the SWFA 10 instead of the bushy. It will give you a parallax adjustment. I also like the savage barreled actions over the Howa. Although having heard decent things about the Weatherby based brother, Savage just gives you more options and its easier to do yourself with the correct tools. Plus, with a floating bolt head, the need to true your action isn't a high priority.

So why 243 is my next question?

You could build yourself a 22 trainer based off your 308 if you actually want a "plinker". Someone on here actually has the distance and drop differences that compare the 22lr to the 308 for training purposes. If so then check out the CZ 452 or the Savage TR.

I am planning on using it for killing small furry animals mostly. I have a .22 for a trainer already and I thought that a .243 would be a little better than shooting my .220 swift at everything that moves (thats really expensive). I was going to put my ss on my FAL, but I might look into putting it on this. Thanks for the info.

If you want to build a .22X caliber plinker, go with a .223--there are enough cheap(er) options for ammo in that chambering that you wouldn't bankrupt yourself keeping it fed but it's still suitable for 4-legged critters. Heck, a 16" 5.56 boltgun with a can would be awfully fun (and handy) for dispatching vermin

Thanks for the info guys. I will definately look more closely at the .223.

+100 for the .223 option. I went many years before wising up to this and recently acquired not one but TWO .223 bolt guns. One is a Winchester Coyote (New Haven) and the other is a customized LTR. Both are great for different purposes and both shoot bug holes for groups and are relatively cheep to feed.

Regards,
Joe

I too am in love with my 223 bolt gun, very accurate and fun to shoot and I dont have to sell a gun just to pay for ammo. I am also looking into a 204 Ruger bolt gun, I already have an AR in 204 and LOVE it

+1 on the 223 as well for cost. That being said, my go to is a Remmy lvsf .204. If you're handloading it's cheap enough to shoot a bunch of and it's a laser to 250-300 depending on your load.

I am definately starting to like the .204. I do reload, so it is a viable option.

Gondy, you'll love the 204. Cost is about the same to reload as the 223 and at 4000fps, no recoil, and flat shooting it's just fun. My 2 cents.

i would go with the .223 i actually started with that for long range and now that i am comfortable shooting 600 with it i decided to go larger. i dont have a 22 trainer but really want one. would a 17hmr be better? i am looking at a savage tr. just waiting to get rid of my marlin 17. i would go with a 223 tho. mine is a savage 10fp and its an accurate rifle loaded with 75 grain hornady's

I use a .17 HMR from savage (the stainless with thumbhole stock). I got it at Dick's Sporting Goods for super short money, and it is super accurate. And it looks amazing, and the stock quality is excellent too, and has a little cheek riser as part of it. Very comfortable, and I can really hit with it at 100 yards.

Other than that, I also have a .223 bolt for "plinking", of course turns out the LTR is accurate I put some good glass on it and my "plinker" can reach out 500 yards with Nightforce 3.5-15x56 without any issues. So what I thought would be a plinker is very very accurate (won two local shoots with it too). And my .17HMR plinker is also accurate enough that I can put my rounds inside the .308 holes my buddy leaves with his rifle at 100 yards...

Can't go wrong with Savage .17 or a .223

Shhhhh.....don't tell my 20" M700 243AI Deer/Russian Boar/Turkey/Coyote/GroundHog rifle, that it's absolutely of no use at all, for "plinking".

Here's my kid "plinking" with it a few years ago, at 510 yards.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1aLDnpAFWsg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1aLDnpAFWsg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

And, FWIW, if the choice between a .223 and a .243 isn't both, then get out of the damn truck..........