• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this Marine legit?

XxMerlinxX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2007
Columbia, S.C.
I recently ran into a guy who claimed to be in the 5th Reg, didn't say what Batt, and that when he was in Iraq he learned that he had a bounty on his head, "Just like Chris Kyle". I said BS, how did they ID you? He said they picked up a prisoner who had a booklet on him filled with photos of Recon Marines, Rangers, etc. along with bounty amounts. The photo they had of him was allegedly one that he took while at Paris Island. I said, "Oh ok..." and that was the end of the conversation.

So, was this guy full of it or do I owe him an apology? Anyone ever hear of such a booklet floating around Iraq?

I was in that same booklet, but the pic they have of me was of my asshole, it's a pretty hairy asshole so they thought it was my face cause it looked like theirs

" Paris" Island ? I was there twice, the first at 14, with my parents, the 2nd time when in high school _ Buyed some interesting booklets, too_

Is this him?

35651.JPG

Is this him?

35651.JPG

To the OP, it sounds as though your guy is full of shit. If he was indeed in the 5th Marines, that's what he would have told you, and would have given his Batallion. We just don't say "I was with the 5th Regiment", we either say, " I was with 1/5" or we say we were with the 5th Marines. And if he was some super secret squirrel Navy SEAL Recon Parajumper Sniper or something then his unit designation would be different. PLUS, 5th Marines are 1st MARDIV, which is at Camp Pendleton, so it would be INCREDIBLY unusual for a basic grunt from the East Coast (I see you're in South Carolina) to go through Parris Island and then get assigned across the country at Pendleton. It's not impossible, but it's VERY unlikely. Best case is he was actually a Marine and is just full of shit about being super-special. Worst case is that he was never in, which it sort of sounds like.

Redman, that photo is killing me. WTF is THAT dressed up like a Marine/SEAL? Do you have the background on that pic? I'm hoping an actual Marine or SEAL throat-punched him immediately after that photo was taken.

Last edited:
To the OP, it sounds as though your guy is full of shit. If he was indeed in the 5th Marines, that's what he would have told you, and would have given his Batallion. We just don't say "I was with the 5th Regiment", we either say, " I was with 1/5" or we say we were with the 5th Marines. And if he was some super secret squirrel Navy SEAL Recon Parajumper Sniper or something then his unit designation would be different. PLUS, 5th Marines are 1st MARDIV, which is at Camp Pendleton, so it would be INCREDIBLY unusual for a basic grunt from the East Coast (I see you're in South Carolina) to go through Parris Island and then get assigned across the country at Pendleton. It's not impossible, but it's VERY unlikely. Best case is he was actually a Marine and is just full of shit about being super-special. Worst case is that he was never in, which it sort of sounds like.

Redman, that photo is killing me. WTF is THAT dressed up like a Marine/SEAL? Do you have the background on that pic? I'm hoping an actual Marine or SEAL throat-punched him immediately after that photo was taken.
Naw, no background on it. I was just looking for an outrageous picture for a joke, and I got it from Google images. Originally found on ARFcom: Airsofters out fake Marine-Seal.... (glorious Pic) - AR15.Com Archive

OP, I agree with the rest of what Bogey said as well about the verbiage. This guy is full of shit; tell him to pony up with a DD-214 or make him your bitch.

Lol...different story but here's a good one. When I checked into SOI at camp Geiger we reported in alphas. There was a private behind me with a gaggle fuck of fruit salad on his chest including jump wings etc. I thought to myself wtf this dudes about to get his shit pushed in. Seems as though the desk sgt seen it about the same time and commenced to climb straight up his ass. That's when he simply handed over his srb and the sgt quickly apologized and said carry on. Ol private nobody was a decorated army vet who decided to join the corps after 5yrs in the army. Don't ask me why. Anyhow, he earned every piece on his chest and it was funny to see that sgt lock up his mouth and apologize....lmfao. Ya never know.

Lol...different story but here's a good one. When I checked into SOI at camp Geiger we reported in alphas. There was a private behind me with a gaggle fuck of fruit salad on his chest including jump wings etc. I thought to myself wtf this dudes about to get his shit pushed in. Seems as though the desk sgt seen it about the same time and commenced to climb straight up his ass. That's when he simply handed over his srb and the sgt quickly apologized and said carry on. Ol private nobody was a decorated army vet who decided to join the corps after 5yrs in the army. Don't ask me why. Anyhow, he earned every piece on his chest and it was funny to see that sgt lock up his mouth and apologize....lmfao. Ya never know.
I had a guy in my STA Plt that was prior Army and 1/75th at that. As a Marine PFC he was standing in Service Alphas for a SgtMaj inspection and was asked "Where'd you get those jump wings Private?" The SgtMaj didn't appreciate his nonchalant response of "Jump School, Sergeant Major."

Yeah, I'm with you, we had a similar deal when I was in with a prior-service Army guy. I'm just looking at THAT picture and saying "no fucking way". If I ignore the mini-budweiser above the dicked-up fruit salad and all the other shit that is just plain WRONG but theoretically explainable by some one in a million scenario, the web belt/buckle is the kiss of death and makes THAT guy just an impossible case.

The belt and buckle, pleated trousers, butter bars and fruit salad on a 18yr old lookin kid...yes I agree. It ain't legit.

The pleated slacks are the bomb. I hope they are cuffed that would look so good with corfams. Now that the Army has their cammies figured out they can start chasing the USMC in the redesign of their service uniform.

Oh man, I got a ton of that shit when I went Army. USMC, two NG units over ten years, and yes, I earned stuff that I refused to remove for anyone. Paper backs it up, but the experiences that earned it, will always be the best part. It's funny when some Army Staff Sertgent tells ya to get at Parade rest, and you stand there looking like WTF? Because two weeks ago you were wearing the same damn stripes, but Army saw fit to hand ya E freakin 4, and told ya to earn it all back. I truly almost took a walk that day. Parade Rest, for THIS POG? FUUUck THAT! I'm glad I sucked it up, hung out for a while. I met some great guys and gals, and had some times.
I looked at my old Uniform jacket the other day, and actually counted...21 total ribbons. Half way to the shoulder. All I could think was, Damn, I did all that in 26 years, Wow. A few friends told me,"Dude, you had a very highly decorated career" I just do not see it. No Bronze Stars, no V devices, just basic stuff for pretty much being somewhere or doing some job that needed to be done when it needed doing. Many have earned far less, but far more important awards than I, and it is those men and women who have also earned a ton of respect.
If I ever see some little asshat wearing that kind fo shit, I am just going to hit him, just once. really hard.

Anyone asks me about my Corps Service, I reply as such,"Yes, K-Bay Marine, 2nd Marine Air Division, HMM165, 31st MAU, Semper FI, Brother!"

Last edited:
When I was in Basic in Ft.Dix, I had on a ribbon from college ROTC, when going thru NY Port Authority. MP sees it, goes nuts, WTF is THAT? Well, it was awarded by some general 8th Army, I believe, for being #1 in my year, but MP sez if it wasn't awarded in Active Duty, I can't wear it. Yassuh, boss! I even had the certificate from the general with me. Oh, well. I wound up being so good in the Army, I made PFC twice.......

Here's a copy from the ARFcom posting. I'm not looking up some of these old medals/ribbons he's wearing, so I'm not vouching for the accuracy of it.

Ribbonbitch.jpg
Marine Corps Reserve Ribbon (obsolete 1967) - Silver Star - Meritorious Unit Citation (Navy/Marine) - Joint Service Achievement Medal
National Defense Service Medal - Afghanistan Campaign Medal - Navy Rifle Marksmanship Ribbon - Combat Action Ribbon (Navy/Marine)
Navy Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon - Iraq Campaign Medal - National Defense Service Medal #2 (for a double dose of pimpin) - Army Overseas Service Ribbon
Selected Marine Corps Reserve Medal - Global War on Terrorism Service Medal - Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal - Navy & Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon

Apparently this is old news, as there's a thread on military photos that beats him in the dirt. The kid's FB page hasn't been updated for 2yrs based on the shytestorm that befell him.

My favorite post from his old FB page:

OP, I call bullshit. I've never heard a Marine say they were with a regiment without including the battalion. The bounty book story seems pretty far fetched, the fact that he had to mention a bounty on his head "just like Chris Kyle" reeks of fantasy.