• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this normal after FL resizing (shoulder deformity)?

ashiha

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2011
Arizona
This is on some of the cases after being FL resized. Something to worry about?
This one has been fired maybe 3-4 times.

Sorry for the bad pic, but it's hard to show on camera. The shoulder has those little dents all the way around on a bunch of the brass. It's Winchester 308.
qhbhM4r.png

Too much resizing lube. Clean your die and use less lube.

Beat me to it. That's 4 of us with the same idea, so that's most likely the issue. As an added note, when you lube the cases, only lube the body, forget the shoulder and neck. The neck will not stick, the surface area is too small

X5 on too much case lube. When I lube my brass for FL resizing, I spray the lube on an RCBS Lube Pad and roll the body only, never any on the shoulder or neck. I have reloaded thousands of rounds this way with no stuck cases.

Dents

The actual term used in the reloading industry is "Oil Dents" and yes it is from too much lube. This shouldn't affect the round to a great deal after firing this will obviously be fire formed out.

Beat me to it. That's 4 of us with the same idea, so that's most likely the issue. As an added note, when you lube the cases, only lube the body, forget the shoulder and neck. The neck will not stick, the surface area is too small

This guy is spot on, if you spray lube, and use a loading tray, put your cases in it upside down, then spray.

What everybody else said. What lube are you using? They should be safe to shoot, and will blow back out.

Some people hate it some love it...I use hornady one shot in the aerosol cans. Works great for me. I set the cases in normally, neck up, and spray down the line of cases.

I agree with everyone else though...clean your dies and use a little less lube and you will be fine.

Too much lube definitely sounds like it could be it. I had the press sitting for a few months unused so I cleaned it and lubed up a bunch of stuff and may have gone overboard on the resizing die. Thanks a lot guys.

Too much lube, it will fireform back to normal until you resize it with too much lube again, just kidding,
Cheers.

Gotta jump on the "too much lube" band wagon. Take your Die apart (remove decapping pin completely from Die). Clean Die and Decapping pin/mandrel/shaft (whatever ya wanna call it/expander ball) and make sure you run a little juice (Brake Cleaner or Hoppes) through the vent hole too and/or a paperclip or whatever you can get in there. Don't want that plugged. Could just be the pic, but it appears you have two dark spots/gouges on your neck too. One short one near the mouth in the center and one longer one down by the neck/shoulder junction just right of center. Both running somewhat vertical in a 6 O'clock to 1 O'clock position. You may very well benefit from a good Die cleaning. Just an observation.

Last edited:
You want to avoid it, but really, it's just cosmetic. Too much lube accumulates in the upper part of the die and liquids cannot compress. Therefore, the brass will deform, instead. But, it's okay to shoot these cartridges....just don't let anybody see them...identifies you as a newbie. (just kidding) Actually, not that rare. BB

As told a multitude of times, its excess lube that was compressed by the die and had nowhere to go . . . so it dented the case.

Some of my sizing dies have vent holes that work well (eg Lee), but my one Redding sizing die will dent case after case with the same lube process. it appears this particular die has no vent hole.

This did lead me to change lubes to a wax-type. There are several other approaches, including using less of what you are currently using, and/or keeping it off the neck.