• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this normal? ELDMs

Lawnboi

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2019
WI
9F3C4D3D-4D8C-4255-9621-A0BEE37EE703.jpeg
Is this normal? Last couple boxes of the same lot of Hornady 140 eldms have had some crooked tips. I began getting some goofy flyers. Wondering if a call to Hornady is in order. It can’t help….

Are you sure your seater die isn't causing it?
3256E879-218D-43DC-8CCC-1CAFEEB8C998.jpeg

Yea, it’s harder to get a decent picture with them out of the case. You can see the shiny ring on half the bullet. The tips are that far off, like the plastic is mis molded or as if the hole is mis drilled. Last couple boxes of this lot has been like this, that and my load has went to complete shit after 300 rounds so I don’t know. Only other eldm that I have are 75s and they surely are not like this.

Was forced to these from bergers when 6.5 Berger bullets disappeared for the last year. Luckily I have enough bergers now to shoot the last few matches I have this year so these will no longer be getting used.

Last edited:
Contact Hornady. That image looks like there was an issue with the insertion and final closing/forming of the hollow point.

They will most likely replace them for you.

Reactions: DIBBS
Contact Hornady. That image looks like there was an issue with the insertion and final closing/forming of the hollow point.

They will most likely replace them for you.
I sent a message… we will see what they say.

Should have tested this before the last match, shot a Kraft drilll with leftover ammo and it’s no wonder anything under 2 minutes was a crap shoot.

It may just be that photo, but it almost looks like the bullets aren't swagged down enough to the right shape/size.

Hornady says that lot did .9” at 200 but I can send them in if I want for testing.

Problem is that they are not all the same, some tips are off some are not. I opened the other lot I have and those look fine

Lesson #1 in reloading, Don't use Hornady Bullets unless you don't care about the bullet either making it to the target before it blows up or random flyers because they are built like shit.
I thought I had learned that already. Berger just needs to start pumping out some 6.5mm bullets. I would have never strayed from the 140 hybrid

I got a bunch of notifications of Berger 130 hybrids from numerous places. I bought several boxes since I had not seen them in kver a year. They're still by far the easiest and most accurate bullet to load develop. I tried the 130 hornady eldm since they were available, they shot mostly like shit, constant random flyers. Bullets are too expensive now to have to sort out the bad ones.

Maybe the 140 Berger's will be distributed soon. For what it's worth, Bullet Central has Sierra 140's in 100ct boxes. They shoot way better than Hornady.

Hornady says that lot did .9” at 200 but I can send them in if I want for testing.

Problem is that they are not all the same, some tips are off some are not. I opened the other lot I have and those look fine
If you don’t mind, what lot number are the problem bullets?

If you don’t mind, what lot number are the problem bullets?

Hornady claims the lot tested fine and that it’s unlikely the tips play any role. I have other lots and busted a few open and they are normal.

I don’t know how they wouldn’t effect anything. Look at what tipping a bullet does.

Hornady NEVER has any problems or product issues.....just ask Hornady and they'll tell you. :cool:
I’ll be happy if they give me some bullets that look normal back….

Berger needs some competition

Be thankful you didn't shoot them.

These are well known for coming apart in flight. I have "overspun" them in 6.5 CM. Don't dare try them in 6.5 PRC.

Hornady went from my first choice bullet supplier to last.

Sad.

Don't dare try them in 6.5 PRC.
Friend of mine has been shooting them in 6.5 PRC for a few years without issue.

I've shot a lot of 140 gr ELD-M out of a 7.5 twist Proof SS barrel averaging right at 2805 and not had any issues.

But I've also seen the vids of them self-destructing in mid-flight and it being reported that in every instance Hornady denies having an issue.

Go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
I had no blow ups, and have shot a good hand full of the 140 eldm and 75 eldm.

Hornady has become my last resort for a bullets.

Definitely not normal, they shouldn't look like that. It almost looks like the jackets aren't fully swaged.

Tell whoever you purchased them from to send you a few new boxes of a different lot or to give you your money back.

Don't listen to the ELDM haters tough, I've shot a lot of them in various weights/calibres and bang for buck they are hard to beat, but I've never shot (or seen) a box that looked like that though.

Reactions: 308pirate
Definitely not normal, they shouldn't look like that. It almost looks like the jackets aren't fully swaged.

Tell whoever you purchased them from to send you a few new boxes of a different lot or to give you your money back.

Don't listen to the ELDM haters tough, I've shot a lot of them in various weights/calibres and bang for buck they are hard to beat, but I've never shot (or seen) a box that looked like that though.
They went back to Hornady. I have another lot that’s definitely not like that.

I’ll keep the rest around since I think they pull double duty hunting well

Lesson #1 in reloading, Don't use Hornady Bullets unless you don't care about the bullet either making it to the target before it blows up or random flyers because they are built like shit.

Not to pile on here, but... I'm going to pile on.

When I had one of my rifles chambered in 300 WM, I was using ELDMs. I would get exactly the same effect that the OP says - 4 shots in a nice tight group - 1 shot way off - as in WAY THE F%&K OFF. I was convinced it was the polymer tip/quality control of the same. Switched to Bergers and never looked back.

Looking at the OP's pics, it looks to me like the wrong tip was used. I mean... really...

EDIT: Looks like a 6mm tip used on a 6.5 bullet. Hornady has some great gadgets for helping with reloading, but for brass and bullets, the quality blows.

Hornaday still refuses to admit their bullets blow up despite about a 100 people with videos of it happening.

They are the fucking joke of the precision shooting world.

For those who have sent bullets back to Hornady? What did they do?
They tested the bullets and said they shot fine in their rifle. They sent me a free hat. No free bullets.

These were 270 130 gn. GMX that wouldn't shoot better than 2"+ out of my Tikka T-3. I tried about 4 powder combinations, no luck. No more buying GMX for the 270. That tikka shoots almost everything around 1MOA or better.

Barnes shot 1 MOA or under with 130 TSX and 110 TTSX. I've used Barnes ever since in the 270.

I did buy some Midway 30 cal. 150 gr. blems that were Hornady GMX because they were so cheap at the time. I shot them out of my Winchester Mod 70 30/06. They shot fine.

Reactions: bobke
I atleast expect the bullets replaced with ones that don’t look like they have the wrong tips. We will see what happens

Reactions: MustangGreg66
Well Hornady replaced the bullets. They were nice enough to send a couple lots so now I have a bunch different lot 140 eldm.

In the mean time berger 144s kicked more ass than the 140 hybrids. . I don’t think I’ll be putting anything but Berger hybrids through my match gun anymore.

Well Hornady replaced the bullets. They were nice enough to send a couple lots so now I have a bunch different lot 140 eldm.

In the mean time berger 144s kicked more ass than the 140 hybrids. . I don’t think I’ll be putting anything but Berger hybrids through my match gun anymore.
welcome to the dark side

hornady is for 400y trainers and loaner guns

I’ve Never had an issue with Hornady, but I did switch to the 140 hybrid a few years ago and that bullet shot accurate as hell with any powder charge. I didn’t want to pay for the bergers this time around and got 500 of the 147’s to try. Hope they work

That's what everyone eventually comes to understand. It's just not worth it to use anything but Berger for long range shooting

I would love to get my hands on Berger 140 Hybrid, but literally nobody has 'em in stock. I've got a few thousand rounds of Hornady ELDM to tide me over. Unfortunately.