• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this right?? Nightforce reticle question....

toader

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I have used NF NXS 3.5-15x50 with mil-dot reticles for years...love them!! Anyways, I was able to pick up a used almost new NXS 5.5-22x50 with the mil-dot reticle for a great deal. Got to mounting it the other day....looked great through the scope...then I grabbed one of my rifles with the 3.5-15x50 on it, and the reticle looks a lot smaller in size than on the 5.5-22x50. I thought it was just my eyes at first, but after looking through both rifles several times, the mil-dot reticle on the 5.5-22x50 is definitely larger in size than on the 3-5-15x50. I looked through each scope on the same magnifications.....and no doubt the reticles are different sizes between the scopes!!

Is this right?? Am I missing something here??

I reckon one is FFP and the other SFP.
I thought that at first too, but the reticle never changes on either scope through their magnification ranges. I know for a fact that the 3.5-15x50 is SFP......the 5.5-22x50 did not come with a box...so not positive on it.

I thought at first too, but the reticle never changes on either scope through their magnification ranges. I know for a fact that the 3.5-15x50 is SFP......the 5.5-22x50 did not come with a box...so not positive on it.
I don't think NF ever made a FFP 5.5-22x50. From what I know it's probably a C196, which is SFP, but I could be wrong.

If they both look like this, then they are both SFP
1631287498230.png

If I were you, I'd e-mail NF with the serial number and get a diagram of the reticle for each scope. This is what I could find from a link on EuroOptic for a C196, which may or may not be applicable to what you have.

1631288191448.png

Before buying the 5.5-22x50...I called Nightforce...gave them the serial # to make sure it was a legit NF...all was good.

No...neither of them do.
next question (and yes i can look this stuff up but its your thread), are they both 30mm or 34 mm tubes? IDK, I’m just winging it here. If the reticle are accurate in their measurements i say dont sweat it and drive on. They aren’t the same magnifications at ether end so they will likely appear different anyway. If we were talking two of the exact same scopes maybe I’d be concerned.

Reactions: toader
I appreciate everyone's input...thank you!!

Just got off the phone with NF...he stated that this 'issue' is perfectly normal due to the different magnification ranges between the two models. The reticle is calibrated separately for each model and reticles sizes will differ.