• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is this simply the best scope deal at the moment?

alee18

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2012
AZ
I have been in the market for the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 model and the best I have found was $360 shipped. However, today I have stumbled upon Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 at $280 shipped. Is this basically a no brainier should I just jump on this deal or am I missing something?

This scope will be going on my basic Savage Axis in .223 that will be mainly used as a range target rifle at about 100-200 yards only.

Also If I decide to go with Viper, I will need to get new 30mm rings. I heard nothing but great things about Vortex scopes and CS, but what about their 30mm rings for only $20? Normally I would ignore rings at this price point however if Vortex gets good reviews for their scopes how bad can their rings be?

Thank you so much in advance.

Re: Is this simply the best scope deal at the moment?

That scope is pretty good for the money. My gripe was eye position was pretty sensitive at 20x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alee18</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been in the market for the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 model and the best I have found was $360 shipped. However, today I have stumbled upon Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 at $280 shipped. Is this basically a no brainier should I just jump on this deal or am I missing something?

This scope will be going on my basic Savage Axis in .223 that will be mainly used as a range target rifle at about 100-200 yards only.

Also If I decide to go with Viper, I will need to get new 30mm rings. I heard nothing but great things about Vortex scopes and CS, but what about their 30mm rings for only $20? Normally I would ignore rings at this price point however if Vortex gets good reviews for their scopes how bad can their rings be?

Thank you so much in advance. </div></div>

do you have a link?

I have a vortex viper 6.5-20x50 on a .17hmr. I can see .17 holes at 200 yards.

I haven't done much cranking on it, but so far it has been reliable for me. The .17 has so little recoil I wouldn't expect any failures though.

I think it's a fantastic lower to mid range (quality) optic. I have no regrets with it. I'm considering another one for a .223 bolt that's coming my way.

Any comparison between the two? Which is a better scope and better buy for the money?

I ran a 6.5-20 x 50 on a 300 WM and had no problems other than the eye relief being a bit short. If you have a Sportsman's warehouse or other big box sporting goods store, they might have one you can look through and compare with the other scopes.

Also if you use dedicated search bar located on the right hand side of this posting (about a 1/4 down the page) you can search what other members have said about the scope.

Good luck in your search!