• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is this story for real?

sandwarrior

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2007
in yooperland
As something I do to take a break from SH and other gun auction sites, I read the little news clips that come along. Anyhow, I come across one that said an Aerospace Engineer and a drug dealer combine to sell hundreds of illegal arms.

The thing that makes me wonder, is how many the "get guy" buys legally. Which means he has to purchase them undergoing a NICS check...In the Washington DC area????? I've never seen anybody buy anywhere close to that and not undergo extra scrutiny, let alone there. Methinks it's either a trap set up by ATF, or it's just plain bullshit written to try and make us feel bad for enjoying firearms.

Here's the link:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/l...sed-gun-dealing-washington-dc-invs/index.html

If it was Virginia, I could see it happening easily. The engineer is a low-life who let greed get in the way of righteous living and threw away what could have been a comfortable and honorable existence. I'm surprised that the ATF wasn't on top of this a helluva lot more quickly, though.

If it was Virginia, I could see it happening easily. The engineer is a low-life who let greed get in the way of righteous living and threw away what could have been a comfortable and honorable existence. I'm surprised that the ATF wasn't on top of this a helluva lot more quickly, though.
My sentiments exactly (on both counts). I've had friends get denied and have to go through the appeal process for buying 10 handguns in a month. This guy bought 200 in a year.

@Bender, that's as fishy as rotten herring I think too. For all the anti-gun laws in DC, how does this guy do all this in the DC area????

why is it fishy?
Because I've seen people in gun friendly states not get passed through the NICS check for buying "excess" handguns. This guy got cleared for over 200 in one year. Not saying its right or not, just that's how I've seen ATF operate. Keep in mind this guy is not a dealer.

The other thing is how is this guy making money buying legally, which is high cost to begin with, as shipping and transfer fees are usually exorbitant. Then selling them illegally, which doesn't usually bring that much money.

The whole story just seems like bullshit to me. I don't know if anybody else's news source verify's this story. It's one of the stories the anti's try to use to shut down internet sales of guns. "See, they're making millions on gun sales by circumventing the law" People who don't know internet gun sales might buy their bullshit. Actually, usually they do.

If the story is real, the guy's scum, QED, and the ATF criminally clumsy. If it isn't entirely as reported, it's propaganda -- and you're surprised why?

Reactions: Dewey7271
@sandwarrior is that a border State thing? I've never heard of nics denying someone for too many purchases.

@sandwarrior is that a border State thing? I've never heard of nics denying someone for too many purchases.

Never seen it either. It was a Holder mandate that more than two semi auto rifles at a time be reported to the FBI in border states. But the nics wasn't supposed to be denied since there's no law in those states about buying a bunch of guns, except California

Might be a state thing. My nephew got denied buying three handguns at one time. That was Nevada. I've been told by numerous friends who are FFL's that if you buy too many and you get shut down for further investigation. It was bad in Minnesota. Not so much in Idaho and Montana.

Multiple handgun purchases in a week results in a form going to the sheriff or other CLEO. Never heard of a denial.

why is here a form going to the sherrif? is that multiple purchases or multiple guns? if I buy 10 lowers or two pistols in a day who sends out a notice to teh sheriff?

It's an ATF requirement. And in some places, multiple purchases will bring ATF to your door.

I dont like your post about illegal monitoring AJ.
My like is my way of agreeing.

Those 80% lowers maybe make sense?
Buy with cash from a shop. Jig too.
You know they monitor the sales ans shipping addresses.

Let me adjust my hat.......

If one is legally purchasing literally hundreds of firearms then turning RIGHT AROUND and reselling privately, for a profit...that seems fairly clear to be unlicensed dealing in firearms.

We aren't talking about gun ADD folks buying a weapon, then reselling it (even without a round through it) in order to fund another toy...we're talking about a dude that was making an INCOME buying and reselling guns.

Now, if you believe the concept of a FFL is bullshit and private intrastate sales are legal without need for a NICS check and this guy did nothing wrong then okay, I see why you might think this is all bullshit...but reading the story, this isn't somebody making a profit on an in-demand firearm residing in their personal collection, or even somebody that bought a few lowers pre-2012 election and flipped them months later post-Sandy Hook for a tidy profit. This is an educated guy who really should have known better, especially if he provided a damn checking account number for the (repeat, volume) buyer to directly place funds into.

I have a hard time finding sympathy for Laraway, as the story is written (duly noted CNN wrote it)...frankly he makes ALL gun owners and private intrastate sellers look bad in the eyes of Joe and Jane SuburbanNonGunowner.

Well I have no sympathy for him as I am sure he knew he was dealing with unsavory people, I dont think what he did should be illegal though.

Seems the ATF ID's a guy facilitating crimes, even though it should be legal, they went after him to stop the danger,.

This highlights the larger issue of trust between the Gov and the Citizens, not long ago I would be saying great job ATF, now I have to raise an eyebrow and look at their motivations. This two tiered justice system has destroyed the natural trust mid america had in its Law Agencies, goddam shame really.

Hopefully they can arrest Hilary and all the pthers and we can recover the natural trust.

Sorry for confusion, I reread ny post and see its a bit lacking.

I am frustrated by all the “backdoor” ways the govt is following this.

As for my hat, I was referring to the tinfoil inside.

I have a pile of lowers. Still thinking about some 80%. I have access to a nice mill.

If one is legally purchasing literally hundreds of firearms then turning RIGHT AROUND and reselling privately, for a profit...that seems fairly clear to be unlicensed dealing in firearms.

We aren't talking about gun ADD folks buying a weapon, then reselling it (even without a round through it) in order to fund another toy...we're talking about a dude that was making an INCOME buying and reselling guns.

Now, if you believe the concept of a FFL is bullshit and private intrastate sales are legal without need for a NICS check and this guy did nothing wrong then okay, I see why you might think this is all bullshit...but reading the story, this isn't somebody making a profit on an in-demand firearm residing in their personal collection, or even somebody that bought a few lowers pre-2012 election and flipped them months later post-Sandy Hook for a tidy profit. This is an educated guy who really should have known better, especially if he provided a damn checking account number for the (repeat, volume) buyer to directly place funds into.

I have a hard time finding sympathy for Laraway, as the story is written (duly noted CNN wrote it)...frankly he makes ALL gun owners and private intrastate sellers look bad in the eyes of Joe and Jane SuburbanNonGunowner.
It's not that I think the ATF and purchase process is bullshit, I think the story is bullshit. There isn't a whole lot of money buying this gun or that gun, paying shipping and transfer fees, then selling it for a profit. You pretty much have to get dealer cost to make any money and this guy wasn't paying dealer cost, he was paying auction cost, shipping and transfer fees.

MtnCreek,

Multiple handgun purchases in a week results in a form going to the sheriff or other CLEO. Never heard of a denial.

I should clarify, an investigation ensued that cleared my nephew to buy the guns. He wasn't denied. But, it was a drawn out pain in the ass.