• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Is this the right rifle for me? (FN SPR)

bullitt196

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
Hey all,

Long time reader, and it's time for me to get a nice bolt gun.

After a lot of consideration and a ton of reading the frontrunner for me is one of the FN SPR's. I have shot the A1 a couple of times and am strongly considering either the A3 of the A5. I won't be going out past 500 yards often (read: less than 5% of the time) and often will be in the 200-300 range. One aspect I really like is how long the barrels will last, I'm not a marksman by any stretch and consider this one step up from an entry gun so the barrel life is a big bonus for me. I'll likely get some pretty nice glass for it, thinking a USO or NF and a bipod, it'll spend a fair amount of time on the bench and I'll be getting into reloading in the next year or so.

Relatively impartial to the barrel length, at the ranges I'll be spending most of my time I can't imagine the 24" being necessary, and am a big fan of the fluted option.

This will compliment a few ARs, 1911s and HKs but be the first real bolt gun that I will own myself.

Any opinions / comments are welcome, thanks in advance!

Re: Is this the right rifle for me? (FN SPR)

can't go wrong with the SPR's, if you ever have the opportunity to shoot longer ranges, it will handle just fine.
go for it.

Check the classifieds, i have a rifle down there perfectly set up for the beginner. FN SPR A1 w/ a super sniper mounted onto a 20 moa base. would be a great intro rifle, and the price is right.

Great rifles I'm a fan but dont get to hung up on barrel life.Very few rifles get shot out and when they do barrels are the cheapest part of the equation.Figure a new barrel will run you about $550 installed.The 8k of ammo to get there is between 5-9k depending if you reload or not.

Thanks for all the info so far, can anyone school me on the differences between the SPR A3 and A5?

I know the stock is different, but functionally I'm trying to figure out how it will work for me?

Thanks again

get what you like.....then go and try to wear it out......don't get hung up on all the pretty shit like dingle balls and go fast fast thermal resistant paint.......

Bullitt,

Differnces in the SPR-A3G and the SPR-A5:

A3G is the FBI-spec version of the SPR,it comes only in .308 Winchester with a 24" barrel, phosphate finish, 5 round hinged floorplate, OD green McMillan A3 Adjustable stock bedded by GA Precision, titanium optical rail, and a 1/2 MOA guarantee.

The A5 is available in .308 Winchester with 20 or 24" barrels, black oxide finish, 4 round DBM or 5/10 round TBM magazines, Black McMillan A5 Adjustable stock, only bedded under the recoil lug and tang, the optical rail is steel, the accuracy guarantee is only 1 MOA because it is not bedded. The A5 is also available in .300 WSM with the 3 round hinged floorplate and 24" barrel only.

Hope this helps.

Semper Fidelis,

I have the A4 variant. Factory target with FGGM 168's was 5 shot group measuring .435" @ 100yds.
Steve

The SPR rifles are great, and if you did manage to wear one of the chrome lined barrels out I bet FN would replace it for nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The A5 is available in .308 Winchester with 20 or 24" barrels, black oxide finish, 4 round DBM or 5/10 round TBM magazines, </div></div>

Did FNH finally come out with a 10 round magazine? if so where can you get it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Katahdin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The A5 is available in .308 Winchester with 20 or 24" barrels, black oxide finish, 4 round DBM or 5/10 round TBM magazines, </div></div>

Did FNH finally come out with a 10 round magazine? if so where can you get it? </div></div>

I do believe they are finally avialable. However it will not work with the standard bottom metal. They have a completely different bottom metal for these. Which at this time I do not think they are selling the bottom metal seperate. Only offering it on new A5's and possibly A3's.

Also the A3G is full Marine Tex bedded along with the bottom metal but the A1 and A5 are only spot bedded. The A3G has a phosphate finish and the others dont.

Im looking into purchasing the FN A3G myself. Its just to bad the A3G doesnt come in the 20" bbl, it only comes with the 24".

FN's are great rifles. I could have built my custom on a Remmy, but I absolutely believe in the quality of all products FN puts out. Most people don't realize this, but almost every crew served weapon system in the U.S. ARMY is either designed or contract built by FN. The quality is just amazing.

I just posted several pics of my A3G just a couple of days ago. I have had it for about 6 months and absolutley love it. Rather than double post all 5 pics, heres the link to my post showing off my A3G

My FN SPR A3G thread

Katahdin,

In regards to your SPR DBM/TBM question:

FNH now offers the Tactical Box Magazine assembly on SPR-A5Ms in .308 Winchester. The TBM magazine holds 5 or 10 rounds. The TBM magazines will not fit the DBM magazine bottom metal assemblies because of the latching mechanism.

Good news is the bottom metal of the TBM is the same inlet as the DBM bottom metal. It is simply a matter of switching the two via the action screws, takes about 3 minutes and requires no inletting or modifications to the receiver. Bad news is FNH currently does not offer it as a kit. There are plans to offer it, but at a later date. When that date is set, expect for the launch of the SPR TBM to be advertised on Sniper's Hide.

Hope this helps and thanks for your interest in FNH rifles.

Semper Fidelis,

Action guy, thank you for the info I will keep and eye out in the FS section for someone selling theirs. I have a FN PBR CRPF that is a great shooter but is limited IMO because of the factory 4rd DBM. The factory DBM is ok at best and I refuse to pay $40-$50 for any spare magazines when they only hold 4 cartridges. I have owned this rifle since they were first introduced approximately 4-5 yrs ago and have always been interested in upgrading the bottom metal. Its good to know FN finally made good as their have always been rumors of making a 10 round magazine. Thats one of the main reasons why I did not go with a CDI conversion, plus I was never looking to put that kind of money in this rifle.

Great information on this thread I to am jumping in the LR game and looking for the FN SPR. Just missed picking up Jacq's lead slinger.
frown.gif

Ben shot a new record at the 'Bash for the moving chaos drill at Rifles Only.
I'm pretty sure he did with an FN.
laugh.gif

I shot an FN SPR for the weekend at the ASC issue match. It rocked!
There's nothing wrong with an SPR.

How badly do you need a DBM?

I don't need DBM, I am actually more of a floorplate guy. For the longest time there were rumors of a 10 round FN magazine being produced. After a while I lost interest because nothing came to fruition. I recently came upon this thread and saw Action Guy's post about a 5/10 round magazine. I had not heard of the TBM before, so it was news to me.

My FN PBR is a spare rifle right now, so it sits more than anything. Since I would have to get the TBM to run the 10 round magazines on PBR, I will probably just look for a floor plate in the for sale section.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Katahdin,

In regards to your SPR DBM/TBM question:

FNH now offers the Tactical Box Magazine assembly on SPR-A5Ms in .308 Winchester. The TBM magazine holds 5 or 10 rounds. The TBM magazines will not fit the DBM magazine bottom metal assemblies because of the latching mechanism.

Good news is the bottom metal of the TBM is the same inlet as the DBM bottom metal. It is simply a matter of switching the two via the action screws, takes about 3 minutes and requires no inletting or modifications to the receiver. Bad news is FNH currently does not offer it as a kit. There are plans to offer it, but at a later date. When that date is set, expect for the launch of the SPR TBM to be advertised on Sniper's Hide.

Hope this helps and thanks for your interest in FNH rifles.

Semper Fidelis, </div></div>

PM Sent regarding this. It would be awesome if you can show us how to switch the action screws so my new TSR XP can use the TBM 10 round mags.

Thank you,

FN finally got back to me. Looks like the the bottom metal is only available on LE rifles at the moment but will be available for consumers in Mid 2012. As to it really being available in mid 2012 we will just have to wait and see.

----------
Date: Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 2:49 PM
To: David Park <[email protected]>

David,
The 10 rd box requires a special bottom metal and is only available on LE models at this time. Please look for these parts to be available in mid 2012 for consumers.

David,

In response to your question of TBM conversion, it requires a new bottom metal/triggerguard assembly to take the TBM magazines. As Josh Degeare indicated, the kits are not yet available. The LE he referred to is an agency in the southeast acting as a beta tester.

This has been a sore subject for many FNH SPR/PBR/TSR owners. FNH has been talking about this conversion kit for some time, and has yet to deliver. I, too, hyped it up thinking it was just around the corner. I cannot argue with customers' comments and feel their frustration, too. Jeff at CDI is making some good business on FNH's inactivity. I have intentionally not commented on the status of the TBM kit because the launch date has not been set, the price has not been set, either. Talking about it only makes folks mad. Again, I understand. It's the missing link for this rifle. It is a very good upgrade, just put it in a box and sell it, right? Right.

I do know that FNH is very close to launching the TBM Kit, though. Much closer than before. It will be in the 2012 catalog, has a product number. I wish I had a release date and price but right now, I don't. Is it coming, yes.

It will be a simple drop-in for SPR owners who have McMillan stocks and DBM magazines. No modification to the stock or receiver required. It will fit TSRs and PBRs (DBM) with a very slight amount of modification (1/2 dowel and sandpaper fitting) to the inside of the magazine well inlet of the Hogue stock. Hinged floor plate guns (A3G) will not fit without a full inlet and fitting of the bottom metal. I think customers will be happy with the price and quality compared to similar products on the market. All steel construction, two mags, replacement action screws, DIY. Spare magazines are already available through the e-Store and Midway USA for about $50.

I hope this helps. I know some of you are rolling your eyes... "heard this story before". Sure, you have. Again, I can't argue.

Semper fi,

Ben,

Is there a way to do a group buy or pre-order to show FNH that there is interest in a product - if they would deliver?

Thanks

Jerry

An A3G-4 was at the range last weekend! 20" barrell version!!!

Jerry,

The group buy deal is a bit out of my realm. I'll ask some questions, though. Urging for heavy Snipers Hide advertisement at launch time. Likely to be first directly available through the FNH e-Store, maybe some other on-line vendors. Dealers will obviously be able to order them through distributors, like all the other products.

Semper,