• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is this too close to the barrel?

planalpha

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
PNW
Experts-
I finally got my new Mark 4 6.5 - 20x50 scope for my 700 SPS varmint rifle, but it almost touches the barrel, and with the flip up cap on it just barely touches. I'm going to have to shim the base so it will be a little tighter when it's all said and done. Is this going to work? If not I was considering the EGW 20 MOA base, but not sure what size rings to get. I currently have the Med rings on a 0 MOA base. Would the Med EGW rings work on the EGW 20 MOA base or will I need high rings? Sorry for the noob question. Just not sure if all bases/rings are the same hight.
Thoughts?

Thanks!

scope-pix.jpg

Re: Is this too close to the barrel?

That's too close for me. The barrel whips a little, and it could jar your scope.

I've seen guys grind a flat on their cap so it clears.

One answer.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen guys grind a flat on their cap so it clears.

One answer.

John</div></div>

+1

Grind it or cut a notch in it for more room . If you don't like it just get another cap . They are cheap enough .....

Shit can that mount set up and get a badger 20 moa rail and badger rings

Shit I hope I dont run into this problem I just got a SPS varmint with EGW HD 30 moa base and medium Burris XTR's. It's going on a WOTAC 4-16X50mm. I don't have the parts in front of me to check but my dad's bringing it to the shop tomorrow to get it all set up. Is this going to fit ok?

When you button tne caps down, things are gonna tighten up even more. I dont like shimming bases and to be totally honest, cant say I really like the looks of your base. Sorry, not wanting to dis your equipment at all. Theres a good thread at the top of the optics section on how to determine the right rings for your application. I agree with 427 here. I've got the same scope on my LTR and I believe my Acculoc rings are med. (lows might have worked) on a 20 moa Acculoc base. Acculocs are pretty much identical to Badgers and there is a little less than .25" clearence.

okie

take your cap to at belt gringer and grind a flat spot in it so it clears the barrel. I wouldn't want it touching the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit can that mount set up and get a badger 20 moa rail and badger rings</div></div>

+1 new base and rings. Those rear windage screws can work loose if you don't check them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magnumdood</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's too close for me. The barrel whips a little, and it could jar your scope. </div></div>

I think if his barrel moves enough to touch the scope, he has bigger problems.

Not an expert however I'd be concerned being that close to a barrel with quality optics. I know Leupold customer service is fantastic but I wouldn't want to test it out.

Get a NF 20 MOA one piece base and appropriate NF rings & never look back.

If you're on a budget, get that egw 20 MOA base and any low rings will work. On the cheap, I prefer Burris xtr rings.

You should be fine with the medium EGW rings on the 20moa EGW base. Check the for sale section and you'll find a set for sale. Hint..

I like to try to keep the flip caps clear of the barrel by about a few hundreds of an inch at least.

If it fits your world and depending on barrel contour, a quick fix might be to just add a sunshade.

Does anyone know the height of the EGW 20 MOA base?

Do they make the Leupold thread-in scope covers for that particular model scope?

Or the height of the EGW vs EGW HD? I know the HD is lower, but by how much?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ryanjay11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think if his barrel moves enough to touch the scope, he has bigger problems. </div></div>
Never seen the slow-motion video of the guy firing a 50 BMG I take it; the barrel wiggled like a piece of spaghetti.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: planalpha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know the height of the EGW 20 MOA base? </div></div>
No, but trust me, it's high enough that it plus low rings yields about 1/4" between the barrel and scope on a typical heavy-barreled rifle, which is about perfect. I'm in California right now or I'd measure mine, but if memory serves, the back side is about 3/8"...

Alright, I called EGW and have the following info to share with you all. The 20 MOA base for the Remington 700 short action is .393 thick. The HD version is .414 thick. The short rings are .250. I ordered the standard base and low rings which together come in at .643 which gives me just a little more than the base/rings I've been using. Should be perfect.

Per EGW:

<span style="font-style: italic">Our HD mount is .350" high and the standard is .450" high.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best regards,

Kristen Schleicher
Evolution Gun Works, Inc.</span>
48 Belmont Ave | Quakertown Pa 18951
Ph: (215) 538-1012 | (Fx): (215) 538-1016

The height is fin so grind the scope cap and be done with it as long as your happy with the mount.

graham rocks the house with the setup he has pictured, really if you want to know what works refer to that pic and try to be more like graham.

no brainer, grind or sand the cap.

price of sandpaper <$.05 a sheet?
new base, rings, ammo to rezero, time, etc. >$100.00

had to notch this cover out, even the front of it. was a bit more extreme than the little bulge you have going on, and it still works perfectly.
MKIIF049.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwanajcj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shit can that mount set up and get a badger 20 moa rail and badger rings</div></div>

+1 new base and rings. Those rear windage screws can work loose if you don't check them. </div></div>

Totally agree...I've seen them come loose and I've also seen them break off.