• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Is touching to close, even if its 1/32 of an inch?

TSFR

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2012
Hello everyone,
I have a remington 700 that I have done some work to which includes finally getting a decent scope (Sightron SIII) and also a Nightforce 1 peice rail/ring mount. I got the low mount 20 MOA adjustment and its literally a hair away from being perfect. The VERY tip of the scope is touching the heavy barrel. Take an ink pin and touch it to some paper and thats how much is touching. I'm thinking about taking a jewelers file to the bottom of the scope. Any thoughts?

This is the rub mark on the bottom of the scope.
2013-02-07_18-32-34_789_zpse40d889c.jpg

Re: Is touching to close, even if its 1/32 of an inch?

If you can, slide the scope back a touch and you should get some more clearance. If the eye relief is to short you can try to extend the length of pull, or just get higher rings. "Low" rings will vary between manufactures. Yes touching is too close.

Thanks for the insight. The whole reason for switching the mounting rail in the first place was when the cheek rest was properly set.....I couldnt get the bolt out because it was set to high and bumped against it. The lower mount allows everything to work as it seems like it should....aside from the minor little touching part.

I will try sliding it but when I tried last night it didnt seem to make a difference because the barrels not tapered.
This is with my first millet scope which felt about an inch high.
3081_zps97c72efe.jpg

I will post up an after pic once I figure out what I'm going to do.

Are you planning on putting lens caps on it? If so, no amount of fidgeting forward or backward will give you the clearance you need. FYI, 20 MOA comes out to 0.0058" vertically per 1" horizontal. So you'd need to move the scope nearly 2" backwards to gain an additional 1/100" clearance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaaron11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you planning on putting lens caps on it? If so, no amount of fidgeting forward or backward will give you the clearance you need. FYI, 20 MOA comes out to 0.0058" vertically per 1" horizontal. So you'd need to move the scope nearly 2" backwards to gain an additional 1/100" clearance. </div></div>

No caps, I've made a drink and I'm grabbing the file....small strokes followed by a sharpie
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrels flex when shot.... </div></div>
Thats what I thought, just wanted some confirmation.

Thanks for all the help guys!

As mentioned before I would be worried about barrel flex under recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TSFR Jeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the insight. The whole reason for switching the mounting rail in the first place was when the cheek rest was properly set.....I couldnt get the bolt out because it was set to high and bumped against it. The lower mount allows everything to work as it seems like it should....aside from the minor little touching part.

I will try sliding it but when I tried last night it didnt seem to make a difference because the barrels not tapered.
This is with my first millet scope which felt about an inch high.
3081_zps97c72efe.jpg

There are not many setups that allow you to remove the bolt without moving the cheek rest. The rub mark is a "no go". Go to rings that give you at least .050" of day light between your scope and barrel and accept moving your cheek rest to be able to remove the bolt.

OFG

I will post up an after pic once I figure out what I'm going to do. </div></div>

The idea is right, slide the rings back but leave the optic where it sits, only works on 20 moa or greater rail and may still be negligible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phreakmode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The idea is right, slide the rings back but leave the optic where it sits, only works on 20 moa or greater rail and may still be negligible. </div></div>

This will not raise the scope at all.
Since the rings are exactly the same height, the scope is parallel to the top of the rail, and it makes no difference where on the rail the rings are installed.

Joe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: finefire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have the right idea, file it. Or dremel. Notch the scope cap and your done. </div></div>

+1.

...or get another with a smaller objective bell.

i'm thinking notching the scope shouldn't void the warranty but i can't vouch for that.

Notch the scope? NO!!!!!

That is a bad idea on so many levels. Notching BC caps works, but not the scope. If you simply will not use slightly higher rings and you already have the Dremal tool, why not notch the barrel instead?

OFG

There is no way I would ever notch the objective lens bell on a cheap scope let alone a Sightron III. If you ever try to sell the scope you will take a big loss on the scope. You would be much better off getting another set of rings. Or at least shim the front ring with a thin piece of aluminium cut from a soda can the same width as your ring covered with a piece of electrical tape on top of the aluminum to keep it from scratching the scope. That has worked for me a few times when I had a similar problem. It has never harmed the scope or interfered with zeroing the scope. I don't like to do this unless nothing else is feasible.

Touching is not good. You need higher rings.

Take a pair of channel locks and bend the bell up until scope doesn't touch. If you ever decide to sell the scope all you have to do is beat it back out with a hammer.....You could also cut a notch out with a hacksaw. Save the piece so you can superglue it back for later. JB Weld over rough edges and sand it smooth and then use pen to color over sand marks...&#128521;

never mind the assclown response above -------
I would raise the rings 1/16 with JB weld quik, put packing tape on the scope so it does not stick, spread the epoxy on the bottom ring and hand snug the screws watching for desired clearance - after about an hour, take it apart, remove the packing tape, trim the ooze with a knife and reassemble -- 10 cent solution --- if you ever need to remove the epoxy, hit it with a hot air gun and it will release

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontknowdip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a pair of channel locks and bend the bell up until scope doesn't touch. If you ever decide to sell the scope all you have to do is beat it back out with a hammer.....You could also cut a notch out with a hacksaw. Save the piece so you can superglue it back for later. JB Weld over rough edges and sand it smooth and then use pen to color over sand marks...&#128521; </div></div>

^^ This- is what not to do. Take notice to the name.
I'm really hoping it was a joke

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontknowdip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a pair of channel locks and bend the bell up until scope doesn't touch. If you ever decide to sell the scope all you have to do is beat it back out with a hammer.....You could also cut a notch out with a hacksaw. Save the piece so you can superglue it back for later. JB Weld over rough edges and sand it smooth and then use pen to color over sand marks...&#128521; </div></div>

I am working the desk and the phone rang as soon as I started to read this. I had to let it ring because I was laughing my ass off.

Though you are sarcastic in your comment, and fail to care that someone will read it and actually try it, you deftly make the point that if the rings dont fit they dont fit and the proper gear should be obtained.

It will be cheaper in the long run and you will get much better use out of your gear. Save the dremel and files for when you are on an unoccupied island and have absolutely no other option. If you can afford ammo to fire the rifle you can afford proper rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never mind the assclown response above -------
I would raise the rings 1/16 with JB weld quik, put packing tape on the scope so it does not stick, spread the epoxy on the bottom ring and hand snug the screws watching for desired clearance - after about an hour, take it apart, remove the packing tape, trim the ooze with a knife and reassemble -- 10 cent solution --- if you ever need to remove the epoxy, hit it with a hot air gun and it will release </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never mind the assclown response above -------</div></div>Can anyone spot the obvious reason why the JB Weld idea can't work?...

So the channel locks did the trick! Dont know why I didnt think of that in the first place.
crazy.gif
Apparently I didnt make my situation 100% clear and I appologize for the confusion. The new mount (pictured below)is a 1 peice Nightforce 20 MOA that is lower than what I was originally running. The original picture at the top of the thread was of the Millet before I purchased the Sightron.

Anyway, I got the results I wanted...DAYLIGHT
2013-02-09_13-23-15_870_zps433f3359.jpg

What I have learned from this thread:
1. Don't ever buy used equipment (especially scopes) from Dontknowdip or TSFR Jeff.

I honestly don't know what worse, giving bad advice or actually taking it...

For the record: NO Scope was harmed in any way durning the completion of this project
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never mind the assclown response above -------
I would raise the rings 1/16 with JB weld quik, put packing tape on the scope so it does not stick, spread the epoxy on the bottom ring and hand snug the screws watching for desired clearance - after about an hour, take it apart, remove the packing tape, trim the ooze with a knife and reassemble -- 10 cent solution --- if you ever need to remove the epoxy, hit it with a hot air gun and it will release </div></div><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">never mind the assclown response above -------</div></div>Can anyone spot the obvious reason why the JB Weld idea can't work?... </div></div>

it can and does work, you may not be visualizing the process from my poor description but I have done this more than once when I did not want to go up a full 1/8 inch or order/wait for new rings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I have learned from this thread:
1. Don't ever buy used equipment (especially scopes) from Dontknowdip or TSFR Jeff.

I honestly don't know what worse, giving bad advice or actually taking it...</div></div>

lol

Yes, I thought it was crystal clear that I was OBVIOUSLY kidding. As for someone actually trying that, they would have to google channel locks to find out what the hell they are because it would be most apparent they would not know their ass from a hot rock.
Let me add that for future derogatory comments about me to please use Mr. Assclown!

shocked.gif
Nobody even commented on how well it came out, how magnificently close it was to the barrel without touching and the obvious amount of daylight....geesh, tough room lol

Seriously, thanks again for all the advice, laughs and help - Jeff

Is it touching, or is it 1/32"? Not the same thing, although in heavy calibers 1/32" gap may as well be touching.
Here is a video showing barrel whip and scope movement.
It will make you think twice about how close you want your scope to your barrel, although in this case I suspect that the base is made to flex to give the scope a little relief from G-forces.. it looks like the scope mount is as free floated as the barrel!

50 BMG barrel whip

Joe

Glad it turned out well and nice to see you have a sense of humor!

Altering the scope was a foolish idea.
Everyone knows you grind clearance into the top of the barrel with a disk grinder.

Joe

This thread has officially made me spit out soda onto my monitor. Thanks for the entertainment....

wink.gif