• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is VARGET too fast for a 260?

Victor Co Heather

Victor Company USA
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2006
SOCAL USA
www.victorcompanyusa.com
I've been shooting Varget in my .308 and just got a new .260. I've been getting pretty good speed on my 308 and wonder if the powder will shoot accurately in the .260.

All indications seem to be H4350 is the powder most are choosing for the .260... anyone running Varget in theirs?

Re: Is VARGET too fast for a 260?

I use H4831SC and its giving me 2800 fps with a 140 AMAX....people aer getting alot of speed with Reloder17 out of the 260s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use H4831SC and its giving me 2800 fps with a 140 AMAX....people aer getting alot of speed with Reloder17 out of the 260s. </div></div>

How long is your barrel? I made the mistake of getting a 22" barrel and my friends are making fun of me and my slow barrel.

Varget will work, but it's not the most optimum powder (depending on bullet weight) to get top velocity. It's good for the 95 grain V-max, though. If you are running the 130 or 140 grainers, then you would pick up more speed with a slower burning powder like H4350, H4831, R17, etc. But if it's driving tacks, you may keep running it. But it will still drive tacks with a slower powder at faster speeds, too. There's no mistake with a 22" barrel.

I love H4831SC behind 142 SMK's. It does great. I'm getting 2850 out of a 28". It's not being pushed hard either. It's in a good accuracy node.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Varget will work, but it's not the most optimum powder (depending on bullet weight) to get top velocity. It's good for the 95 grain V-max, though. If you are running the 130 or 140 grainers, then you would pick up more speed with a slower burning powder like H4350, H4831, R17, etc. But if it's driving tacks, you may keep running it. But it will still drive tacks with a slower powder at faster speeds, too. There's no mistake with a 22" barrel. </div></div>

Big thanks for the info Chad.

MV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use H4831SC and its giving me 2800 fps with a 140 AMAX....people aer getting alot of speed with Reloder17 out of the 260s. </div></div>

How long is your barrel? I made the mistake of getting a 22" barrel and my friends are making fun of me and my slow barrel.
</div></div>

My barrel is a 24" Krieger 8 twist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I thought short barrels were all the rage these days!!

Varget may be a bit fast, but 38.0gr Varget behind a S142MK seated 20 thou back off hard jam is a *very* popular and successful load for people shooting 6.5-08 aka .260 Rem in NRA HP XTC around here. Not the fastest - think I was clocking it at ~2750-2780fps from a 30" Pac-Nor and it probably didn't need all that barrel to do that speed - but when it puts them in the middle again and again and again and again...
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love H4831SC behind 142 SMK's. It does great. I'm getting 2850 out of a 28". It's not being pushed hard either. It's in a good accuracy node. </div></div>

How much 4831 are you backin the projectile with?

45 Grns. Don't have a crono but my friend crono'd it. It matches with my drop chart though. Fixing to have the barrel cut back so I'm curious to see what it will do then.