• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ISO: Leupold VX-R Patrol 4-12x40, TMR reticle

Jay Ell Gee

Habitual Lurker
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2011
Tennessee
Hey everyone. I’m thinking of converting one of lesser shot rifles into a hunting rifle and have always liked these optics.

Would anyone happen to own one that they would be interested in parting with? If so, please shoot me a PM. Thanks. Happy Father’s Day to all of the dads out there today.

They don’t make a 4-12x VXR Patrol. They make a VX-R with firedot reticle in 4-12x, but that’s the gold ring style, not a tactical style VX-R Patrol version.

I have a couple VX-R Patrol 3-9x scopes for my AR’s and I swear by them...just a screaming value. The firedot illumination is genius (replace the battery every year or two and you never have to turn it off) and it’s perfectly executed, glass is great for what it is, and it’s super lightweight.

In fact, the second one I bought was to replace an NXS 2.5-10x32.

Usually scopes in that price range strike me as cheap or compromising in some way, but Leupold got it right with the entire VX-R line. They don’t have the crazy magnification range like newer stuff coming out, but you won’t find a tougher scope with better glass for the money.

I was looking for a used one a while back and they are impossible to find. My local Al's sporting goods has a leftover one on the shelf and there are 2 on amazon right now but for full price if you want to go that route.

I was looking for a used one a while back and they are impossible to find. My local Al's sporting goods has a leftover one on the shelf and there are 2 on amazon right now but for full price if you want to go that route.
That’s labeled incorrectly. There is no such thing as a VX-R Patrol in 4-12x.

The Patrol models are only in 1.25-4x and 3-9x and the gold ring is black on those two. They also have exposed turrets.

The scope on Amazon is a regular VX-R.

That’s labeled incorrectly. There is no such thing as a VX-R Patrol in 4-12x.

The Patrol models are only in 1.25-4x and 3-9x and the gold ring is black on those two. They also have exposed turrets.

The scope on Amazon is a regular VX-R.

I have handled this scope and it has exposed turrets. I'm not trying to start an argument just letting OP know that although discontinued and rare they do exist.

Reactions: Jay Ell Gee
I have handled this scope and it has exposed turrets. I'm not trying to start an argument just letting OP know that although discontinued and rare they do exist.

They do exist. Hard to find, yes, but they do exist.

I agree that they are fun little scopes. I’m very doubtful of finding one here, but hoping I luck out.

I saw the amazon ones (and thanks for that), but man, I just can’t see paying that for one. I will probably end up going a different route if I can’t source a used one.

They do exist. Hard to find, yes, but they do exist.

I agree that they are fun little scopes. I’m very doubtful of finding one here, but hoping I luck out.

I saw the amazon ones (and thanks for that), but man, I just can’t see paying that for one. I will probably end up going a different route if I can’t source a used one.

I'll be damned...I went back and looked, and that's what it is. That part number (172791) doesn't appear on Leupold's website.

The gold ring makes me think it was a short/limited production run or something. They've never left the gold ring on the patrol models before. The green Firedot is badass...I've seen it on the cheaper 1" Mark AR scopes.

Agreed, $699 is steep considering what all you can buy for that. Another few hundred and you could snag a used Mark 6 or something.