• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

issue with my marlin 917

Rockhopper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
'couve, wa
OK so I have a new marlin 917 vrx I am setting up. I've done the Boyd's tacticool stock conversion. My optic is the Burris Mtac 4.5-14x42. I installed the DIP 25 MOA rail and Burris xtr lows. So here is my issue. I need another 1/2-3/4" for eye relief in the scope to be comfy on the gun. In other words, I need the scope to be closer to my eye. Now hopefully you can see the issue in the pic I have attached. The Burris rings are wide. I have the optic mounted as far back in the rings as it will go. The rear ring is mounted with the crossbolt in the second picatinny slot from the shooter. Since the Burris rings are so wide, if I mount it in the first picatinny slot, part of the ring would actually be hanging off the rear of the rail. So I have thought of three options, but cannot figure which would be the best way to go.

#1 - mount the scope with the current setup, and have the burris ring hanging off the back of the rail slightly. not sure that would be an issue since the rings are so wide and the rifle has basically zero recoil.
#2 - change out the DIP rail for the egw rail because the egw rail extends further to the rear of the reciever. BUT it is a little taller. assuming taller so the bolt can clear the rail as it is cycled.
#3 - switch out the rings for something skinnier such as tps rings. i am assuming doing so would allow me to mount the ring in the first pic slot without much or any at all haning off back of rail. also would allow the scope to be mounted a little further to the rear since the tps rings are only...what...1/2" thick instead of 1"? then i could sell the new burris rings pretty easily and recoup most of the cost of the tps rings.

what do you think is the best option...or does anyone have yet a better idea?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 24
I went with the Weaver Quadlock extended rings. I turned them around, with the extension to the rear. Looks a little goofy, but it will work for now until I get a different scope for my CZ455.

I went with the Weaver Quadlock extended rings. I turned them around, with the extension to the rear. Looks a little goofy, but it will work for now until I get a different scope for my CZ455.
30mm scope tube, those are 1" rings

Nikon makes some extended rings for the 30mm, I was just using the Weaver as an example.

I'd try moving the ring back 1st

Though looking at your objective "bell" you may not have enough clearance vs the rail in other words the bottom of the bell May bump up against it.

if you have to go that far back, perhaps medium rings as either way the objective bell appears to be going to hit the rail. Unless you decide too cut the rail back a little...