• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Issue with Thread Size/Muzzle Device (5/8-24 to 1/2-28)

Gustav7

Son of a Gun...
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 18, 2019
    Ohio (OH)
    So I'm building a .223AI now, and I have the barreled action. The barrel is a Sendero Lite and has 5/8-24 threading.

My only .223 suppressor is a Surefire SOCOM, which because Surefire sucks balls, NONE of their muzzle devices that are threaded for 5/8-24 will work with the SOCOM suppressor, as apparently they're all caliber specific...or at least split into 223/308 sizes. (unless someone knows they will?) I called surefire and they said get an adapter lol

I have a Rex Silentium MG7 (.358") in jail right now, and will be using it on my 357 lever guns and my 6.5cm.

I wanted to be able to shoot both my 223AI and my 6.5 with suppressors on them, but the only way to do that would be to get an adapter from 5/8-1/2 like this Hughes Precision one....

The other option is to just use the MG7 on it when I want... which I suppose I'm fine with.

Has anyone used a 5/8-1/2 adapter? Any issues with them?

Besides buying another suppressor(maybe down the road)...any other options or opinions?

Can you have the threads turned down?

Surefire chose to restrict the interchangeability of 7.62 and 5.56 cans so their military customers couldn’t confuse them and destroy them. I support them in that.

I also think that 5/8 should have been the standard M16 thread as soon as they made the barrel heavier. Bigger threads are better.

Reactions: Gustav7
    I was trying to avoid having it turned down for two reasons:
    1.) Eventually I’ll get another suppressor and I’m not sure what I’ll get or what muzzle I’ll want etc, so didn’t want to limit my options

2.) Is prefer not to turn it down and possibly cause any issue with the steel creating a stress area and heating the barrel up causing fliers or shifting of groups, etc. Not sure if that’s reasonable, but after listening to the podcasts with Frank Green it came into my mind.

The adapter from Hughes Precision does look well made. Made in Michigan and designed specially for precision rifles.

I agree.

What about having a muzzle brake opened up?

Adding an adapter adds a lot more potential for misalignment.

I definitley didn’t think about having a muzzle brake opened Up. Just have to make sure it’s a gunsmith or machinist that know what the hell they're doing.

That honestly may be the best route

Re-threading the muzzle would threaten accuracy a lot less than a lego set of adapter-connectors. If threading a muzzle causes accuracy issues you would just as likely would have those issues when it was first threaded...or chambered. For comparison sake, many brake adapters run about $125. A muzzle thread job is typically $125.

If I can find someone to do it, I'd rather rethread the muzzle brake, but I see your line of thinking.

I just figured in 2020 this wouldn't be an issue I'd have to deal with lol

So I'm building a .223AI now, and I have the barreled action. The barrel is a Sendero Lite and has 5/8-24 threading.

My only .223 suppressor is a Surefire SOCOM, which because Surefire sucks balls, NONE of their muzzle devices that are threaded for 5/8-24 will work with the SOCOM suppressor, as apparently they're all caliber specific...or at least split into 223/308 sizes. (unless someone knows they will?) I called surefire and they said get an adapter lol

I have a Rex Silentium MG7 (.358") in jail right now, and will be using it on my 357 lever guns and my 6.5cm.

I wanted to be able to shoot both my 223AI and my 6.5 with suppressors on them, but the only way to do that would be to get an adapter from 5/8-1/2 like this Hughes Precision one....

The other option is to just use the MG7 on it when I want... which I suppose I'm fine with.

Has anyone used a 5/8-1/2 adapter? Any issues with them?

Besides buying another suppressor(maybe down the road)...any other options or opinions?
    I avoid those adapters as much as possible. The Rex MG series uses threaded mounts, we have the 5/8x24 mount available. Or, you can go with the Griffin Plan A and use their taper mounts on everything with no need to move parts around. I personally feel 1/2x28 threads should only be used on rimfire. Keep the 5/8 threads on the new build.

I avoid those adapters as much as possible. The Rex MG series uses threaded mounts, we have the 5/8x24 mount available. Or, you can go with the Griffin Plan A and use their taper mounts on everything with no need to move parts around. I personally feel 1/2x28 threads should only be used on rimfire. Keep the 5/8 threads on the new build.

So I understand that, and I am using the Griffin Plan A mounts... the problem lies with my Surefire SOCOM suppressor that I would like to run on the 223AI, so I can run the MG7 on my 6.5 at the same time.

I also wanted to run the SOCOM because its made for .224 as opposed to the .358 of the MG7. The main issue is the mount with the SOCOM, so the best idea so far is to have a gunsmith or machinist re-thread a SOCOM mount from 1/2-28 out to 5/8-24.

I did call Surefire and they basically said no they don't, sorry. Ironically they do make the regular MB556 brake in all threads and calibers, but those aren't the same brake as the suppressor mount....which of course they don't make in all threads and calibers lol.... F U Surefire

So I understand that, and I am using the Griffin Plan A mounts... the problem lies with my Surefire SOCOM suppressor that I would like to run on the 223AI, so I can run the MG7 on my 6.5 at the same time.

I also wanted to run the SOCOM because its made for .224 as opposed to the .358 of the MG7. The main issue is the mount with the SOCOM, so the best idea so far is to have a gunsmith or machinist re-thread a SOCOM mount from 1/2-28 out to 5/8-24.

I did call Surefire and they basically said no they don't, sorry. Ironically they do make the regular MB556 brake in all threads and calibers, but those aren't the same brake as the suppressor mount....which of course they don't make in all threads and calibers lol.... F U Surefire
    I understand now. I wonder if ECCO Machine can convert the SOCOM to 1.375x24 threads? I think rethreading a brake is worth investigating. Call Morgan at Class3machine. https://class3machining.com/

I understand now. I wonder if ECCO Machine can convert the SOCOM to 1.375x24 threads? I think rethreading a brake is worth investigating. Call Morgan at Class3machine. https://class3machining.com/

I feel like modifying the suppressor would be difficult.... Unless I'm wrong (which Is very possible), it doesn't look like the back of the SOCOM even comes out, so itd be a job for sure. I'd like to avoid this as well, since I do use this suppressor on two other AR's, so keeping the mounting system is fine, its just getting a muzzle device to 5/8-24...

I'll give Morgan a call about rethreading the brake or other possible options. Thanks for the recommendations

Best bet is to thread the barrel 1/2-28 to work with the suppressor you wish to use. Changing the treads in the muzzle brake is extremely difficult to do an maintain perfect alignment. Most muzzle devices don’t have a straight section to chuck up on. You didn’t state the make of your barrel but if it is cut rifling there has probably been a lot of machine done on it since it was a straight rifles tube, taking another cut won’t hurt a thing.

Reactions: reubenski
    Best bet is to thread the barrel 1/2-28 to work with the suppressor you wish to use. Changing the treads in the muzzle brake is extremely difficult to do an maintain perfect alignment. Most muzzle devices don’t have a straight section to chuck up on. You didn’t state the make of your barrel but if it is cut rifling there has probably been a lot of machine done on it since it was a straight rifles tube, taking another cut won’t hurt a thing.

Its a Proof Steel barrel, 24" Sendero Lite, and it has about 1000rds through it (bought a used barreled action).

Ok for anyone interested, I got a hold of Morgan at Class 3 Machining.

He said while rethreading brakes is very achievable, its a bigger and more time consuming job than just rethreading a barrel, and double the cost and about 3-4x as long of a turn around.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
    Not sure why you just don't go with a 6mm socom brake???
    Screenshot_20201018-214201_Chrome.jpg

Welllll, two reasons:

1.) I called them and they said they didn't have anything that would work
    2.) I assumed that was the standard muzzle brake, and while I see it says "suppressor adapter", I couldn't find a picture of the bottom. The bottom of the proper suppressor adapter needs to have a little cutout that matches the suppressor indentation inside the suppressor. I had a SOCOM brake that didn't have that indent, and the suppressor would fit on it, but it would shift under fire as it wasnt indexed on that indent...

So idk... maybe I'll call them again and see if someone else is smarter than the first guy I talked to.

Welllll, two reasons:

1.) I called them and they said they didn't have anything that would work
    2.) I assumed that was the standard muzzle brake, and while I see it says "suppressor adapter", I couldn't find a picture of the bottom. The bottom of the proper suppressor adapter needs to have a little cutout that matches the suppressor indentation inside the suppressor. I had a SOCOM brake that didn't have that indent, and the suppressor would fit on it, but it would shift under fire as it wasnt indexed on that indent...

So idk... maybe I'll call them again and see if someone else is smarter than the first guy I talked to.

I could be wrong.....butt I doubt it🤣

20201019_030306.jpg
    Resized_20201019_025845.jpeg
    Resized_20201019_025657(1).jpeg
    20201019_025751.jpg
    Resized_20201019_025558.jpeg

Reactions: Sniperwannabee
    okkkkk, well I feel stupid now lol, but I think I know where my confusion came. I have the muzzle brake you're showing, but I didn't buy it from a place, I got it from a guy. My old muzzle brake and adapter was not like that, it was the old ass one with the knurling on top and no indent. Somehow I got confused as to which one was on their site, and obviously Surefire was of no fucking help.

The important part is that we all learned something, and thats priceless lol.

Reactions: BisSilent
    Remember when you could call tech support and get support for a technical question? Me neither...