• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Issues shooting with a Tripod

phantasm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2004
Earth
So I decided to jump into the deep end of the pool and go with a tripod setup. I figured why not. So here recently I went out to the range and set it up with my 16" 5.56 rifle. I shot like complete crap. My 10 shot group with the tripod was about 6" @ 100 yards. Moved the rifle to shooting off of my pack with no rear bag and pulled the groups into 1" @ 100 yards. Tried the tripod again and the groups opened back up to 5+ inches. Setup wise it's a full Hog Saddle (parts below). Anyone have any suggestions or general tips for thsi type of shooting?

Tripod: PIG0311-G
Head: GNN XB-44DL
Mount: Hog Sadle Mod 7

several things are happening, putting it nicely it's the shooter. You need to work on stabilizing your rifle.
How much is the reticle moving when you are shooting, are you calling your shots, are you able to spot impacts?

how are you stabilizing your rifle on the tripod besides the Hog saddle?

I upgraded my Manfrotto to a RRS and have never looked back.

several things are happening, putting it nicely it's the shooter. You need to work on stabilizing your rifle.
How much is the reticle moving when you are shooting, are you calling your shots, are you able to spot impacts?

how are you stabilizing your rifle on the tripod besides the Hog saddle?

I upgraded my Manfrotto to a RRS and have never looked back.
I know it's me. I had the rifle locked in with the hog saddle. That was it. Just clamped in. I set the reticle below the center of the target to account for me pressing into it and raising the barrel. The reticle was definitely not stable. For the life of me though I could not get it stable. As for my position behind the gun, I was seated (on the gound).

I know it's me. I had the rifle locked in with the hog saddle. That was it. Just clamped in. I set the reticle below the center of the target to account for me pressing into it and raising the barrel. The reticle was definitely not stable. For the life of me though I could not get it stable. As for my position behind the gun, I was seated (on the gound).
I use a sling or rope to pull the front of the rifle down and hook it to my belt when I used my Manfrotto. It had way too much play in it. If you have the budget get a Arca mounted on your rifle and a RRS SOAR tripod combo.

to address your issues now, you need to stabilize yourself and the rifle... There are a lot of videos on it and 1 good book by Marcus Blanchard that is good to read.

Reactions: phantasm
Use a bag on the tripod, not the rifle locked in. The tripod is just a height adjustable rest. Shoot off each step of a 6’ step ladder. Once your position is sound you will do well. Coaching from a decent PRS shooter with good teaching skills will change your life.

I use a sling or rope to pull the front of the rifle down and hook it to my belt when I used my Manfrotto. It had way too much play in it. If you have the budget get a Arca mounted on your rifle and a RRS SOAR tripod combo.

to address your issues now, you need to stabilize yourself and the rifle... There are a lot of videos on it and 1 good book by Marcus Blanchard that is good to read.
Don’t waste $$$ of high dollar shit right now. Your problem is position and skill. It is simply fixed by a 20 minute training session and several hundred rnds of practice over a couple dozen sessions.

Reactions: SokekSolutions
Take a look at the thread below, should be helpful (it’s helped me). Also might be helpful to start with a bolt gun to limit variables.

Reactions: phantasm
Use a bag on the tripod, not the rifle locked in. The tripod is just a height adjustable rest. Shoot off each step of a 6’ step ladder. Once your position is sound you will do well. Coaching from a decent PRS shooter with good teaching skills will change your life.
I've got a friend who went through SOTIC. I suppose I should see if he has time to meet me out at the range and give me a crash course. Thanks for the tip.

Take a look at the thread below, should be helpful (it’s helped me). Also might be helpful to start with a bolt gun to limit variables.

Thank you for that. The only bolt gun I have in the saf at the moment is a CZ 457. Better than nothing I suppose.

Reactions: rlsmith1
Don’t waste $$$ of high dollar shit right now. Your problem is position and skill. It is simply fixed by a 20 minute training session and several hundred rnds of practice over a couple dozen sessions.
I'm guilty of the buy once cry once mentality. Good advice though. I appreciate it.

How the rifle balances makes a huge difference. Generally, yes, it’s you. But, where the rifle balances is important if you are going to insist on being clamped in.

Lose the ball head and the hog saddle if you are serious. A bag on the apex of the tripod will be better. Shoot it like any other rest. The shortest distance between the gun and the most solid part of the tripod will be the most stable. The reason people say to buy a fancy tripod is that the fewer leg segments and heavier the tubes are, the more stable the tripod is. The wiggly small legs of a 4 segment tripod will be a problem. Won’t make a difference for you now but it can be the difference between 1” and 1/2” groups off the tripod.

Change your heights. 1” up or down in seated is the difference for me between good fundamentals and small groups vs. flyers. Seated is my most difficult position for consistency. It’s as subtle as rifle balance. Very small changes matter. At a match, you do the best you can but in practice at the range, for group size, you’ll be able to see the perfect height vs acceptable vs big group.

Focus on fundamentals. If that reticle is not on the target when you let go of the gun (not leaned into it), when you press the trigger, it won’t be when the bullet leaves the barrel. Driving the reticle is a bad habit of poor fundamental execution.

Practice a ton. It took me several months of 3x a week shooting to bring my tripod groups from any height, either bagged or in the anvil, down to match my average prone group size….But the confidence it provides at a match when you hit a tripod stage is invaluable.

Also have one leg of the tripod forward centered on direction of fire. That way you can lean into if need be and it's much more stable.

I shoot at a lot of pigs off tripods….mainly a Primos Triggerstick. A lot of times more shooting than killing. And as pointed out above, getting your body set and balanced correctly is very important. What has helped me improve is using the record feature on my thermal scope as I can spot the misses…..and more often than not it is due to not having set myself up correctly.

Over time this has made me be cognizant of setting up with a solid stance and stabilizing the rifle…..and not just plopping it on the tripod and shooting. Sometimes hard to do in the heat of the moment, but consistently poor shooting is poor body position and stance…..at least for me.

Last edited:
As has been said spend time tinkering using tripod to find your zone. I spend a lot of time dry firing and watching what reticle is doing. Small changes can make a huge difference.