• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Issues with DA Muzzle Device Alignment

phantasm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2004
Earth
Has anyone had issues with the shim package that comes with the dead air muzzle brake? For the life of me, I cannot find a combination of shims that allows to me to install the muzzle device so that the ports are aligned facing upwards. I can get it off-center, but not dead center.

You should be able to keep it just shy of top dead center and give it a “little” torque. Use red lock tight as well.

You can sand a little mattrial off the back if you need .005-20 thou

dead center of your muzzle device should be at 10:30-11 w/ 30 ft/lbs of torque should bring you to 12 (dead center)

Yea, that's what I am aiming for but none of the washers that came with it will put it in that position. I may buy another shim kit and try that.

Pick a combo of shims that gets you closest but it still slightly too large. Then lay a pieces of sandpaper on a flat surface and place one of the washers on it and move in a figure 8 pattern until its the right thickness, check periodically with calipers.

Just did it on a muzzle brake for a friend, took about 5 minutes.

Pick a combo of shims that gets you closest but it still slightly too large. Then lay a pieces of sandpaper on a flat surface and place one of the washers on it and move in a figure 8 pattern until its the right thickness, check periodically with calipers.

Just did it on a muzzle brake for a friend, took about 5 minutes.

Manged to line it up with the big washer, a medium, and the thin washer.

IMG_5474.jpeg

Reactions: Sheldon N
I feel your pain playing musical washers. My last Dead Air Brake timed perfectly to the barrel. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good :LOL:

I feel your pain playing musical washers. My last Dead Air Brake timed perfectly to the barrel. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good :LOL:

I wasn't so lucky. I mounted it on a Ballistic Advantage Modern series barrel. I needed one of each washer. What a PITA.

I use 120... But I think anything between 100-600 would work fine.

Just go slow and use the same pressure for each pass. I turn the break every 3 strokes.

Blow out the threads then recheck alignment. You want the break sitting at 11oclock before you torque it down.

I never use anything like thread locker

Do you recommend sanding the brake over the shims?

Just depends on how far it's off honestly. If I thread it on and it's off between a 1/4 turn, I usually use a combo approach and use a thin shim first, recheck and if it just needs a hair of sanding too be perfect, I'll take a couple passes at it so that it's square with the one shim