• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Issues with keeping a suppressor mounted?

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
I know that this has been mentioned before- don't keep the suppressor mounted after the range. I wanted to bring this topic up because it will help in my decision of the proper drag bag.

What are the potential issues with leaving a suppressor mounted on a rifle for multiple trips to the range? Like what if I only took it off for rifle cleaning (every month/500 rounds or so.) I know that condensation has been listed as a concern, but with a stainless barrel, is it really a difference? Also, the barrel is normally subjected to some level of condensation anyhow- the barrel heats up during a range session and cools on the way home.

Anyhow, please feel free to offer any input. I am considering getting a big enough drag bag to leave my suppressor mounted, but if this is a bad idea, then I'll get the shorter OAL bag.

Thanks,

-Bob

Re: Issues with keeping a suppressor mounted?

Buddy of mine and Bookhounds left his M4-1000 on his rifle after shooting one day, and it wouldnt come off .... has to heat it up and break some of the carbon loose and use an OVE Glove to get the can off.

I leave mine on for months, hundreds of rounds. IT doens't come off very easy at all even when anti sieze was applied. My barrel threads are bit longer than the suppresor threads and carbon builds up on them making it very hard to remove. I have to let it soak with kroil dumped down the suppresor then it still comes off hard.

Bump, looking to order that bag ASAP, need more input here!

Thanks,

-Bob

I leave my thread on suppressor mounted all the time. I have not had any issues with condensation with my stainless barrel & can. I have come pretty close to locking the suppressor onto the barrel several times and it does get extremely difficult to remove after several hundred rounds. I attempt to pull the suppressor and reapply anti seize before every range session which seems to help.

I keep mine on because I use the rifle for work purposes and prefer to keep it ready to go. YMMV

What causes that "freezing" to happen? I know metal expands and contracts as it heats and cools, but I have never had an issue getting my muzzle break off.

The issue isn't with the metal expanding or contracting, it is all the crap that gets blown into the threads.
A break doesn't create back pressure like a can.
A suppressor's back pressure causes all the gas to look for a place to go while under pressure.
Depending how tight your threading job is, there can be some area for carbon to deposit.
This can create a bit of a mechanical lock.

If you remove the can before things fully cool, these deposits have a tendency to be softer.
Products like Loctite Anti-Seize work well in minimizing this though.

The issue about condensation is a valid concern. When the suppressor cools condensation forms. This can lead to rust.

If you just have to leave the suppressor on the weapon while the weapon is stored (e.g. for a duty weapon), my best advice is to remove the suppressor after each use, clean the threads (suppressor and host) and re-mount the suppressor. It really doesn't take long to do this and will help prevent the issues others have described. I view it as preventative maintenance.
smile.gif

I guess there is no real good reason for me to do so. I don't think I would be running a bore snake through with the can mounted anyhow, and I like to do that after shooting while the carbon is still warm.

With a suppressor cover, I would assume I don't have to wait all that long before I could get it off anyhow.

-Bob

My guess is it's corrosion from a combination of the crap blown into the threads, plus the dissimilar metals.

All combustion produces water vapor as a byproduct, including gunpowder, so you're blowing water into the threads along with the hot particulates from the charge. I have a rimfire can and this is a particular problem with it because rimfires don't produce enough heat to drive off all the water produced.

Unless the suppressor and your barrel are made from the same metal, they will have a tendency to exchange electrons whenever they're in contact. That leads to corrosion. If they're very different metals -- like an ordinary steel barrel and an aluminum can -- it happens all the faster.

Antiseize will delay that happening but it does provide a small measure of lubrication so if you use it, you might want to check periodically to make sure you aren't shooting your suppressor loose.

General consensus among the Glock crowd is that Loctite C5-A Anti-Seize is the same copper-based antiseize that Glock applies at the factory, which is meant to last until judgment day.

My suppressor came with instructions to always remove the the can before storing because leaving it installed restricts the airflow through it which may lead to rusting in a slightly humid environment.

my 5.56 Piranha is on my carbine 24/7 unless I decide to spin it off to put on a .22LR or another carbine. I have never had an issue with this.

My .30cal Jet comes off every time. But this is because it can't fit mounted in any of my bags.