• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Issues with my Savage 10FP

tomcatfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2010
Southern MD.
To all the Savage 10 users out there I was wondering you have the same issue that I do. So I noticed a couple of times at the range that when I send my bolt forward and lock it down, the accutrigger would lock up. After doing this a couple of times I noticed that the firing pin would fall to a sort of half fallen position.

This problem was easily rectified by simply lifting up on the bolt and relocking it down. But I noticed that if you are being quick on the action and throwing the bolt to the down/locked position the firing pin falls half way and locks up the trigger.

I was also able to make the firing pin fall half way by pulling the trigger with out depressing the accutriggers safety trigger. This also locks up the trigger.

So may just be to hard on the rifle, but I feel as if it shouldn't be that temperamental. I haven't tried Customer Service yet because I wanted to see if it was just me.

What do you think?

Re: Issues with my Savage 10FP

I have seen this happen if the trigger has been messed with of if someone has broken the seals to adjust the sear weight, or sear sear engagement, did you buy it new or have you messed with the trigger any?

I bought it new. But I have messed with the accutrigger adjustment turning it down a little. I have since restored it to near factory settings though.

I have had the same issue that you described. I've adjusted the trigger but I thought that was the point of them providing the adjustment tool. This only happens once in a while but it does happen.

So other than turning up the trigger, is there any way to fix this. Don't get me wrong I love the rifle, but is that the fatal flaw with the accutrigger?

Whats the point of an adjustable trigger if when you turn it down the rifle doesn't work right anymore?

not saying its common, but its happened to a few people. use the adjustment tool to increase the tripper pull weight. that seems to be the most common fix. never had it happen to me. but a few others have mentioned it and raising the pull weight a little seems to be the solution. you can buy a different trigger, but i think it you have a scale to test it, you will find that the trigger is below the 1.5 pounds when this is going on. its only supposed to go down to that in the LE models. the target accutrigger will go to 6 oz. but in this case im sure it was adjusted to 1.5 and then beyond. it most likely wont get any lower than 1.5 just looser thus causing the tripping your getting.

What you are describing is the safety feature of the Accutrigger. I ended up tinkering with mine for a little while and it worked like a champ thereafter. I also did some slight modifications to the spring geometry and made is really light.

Run the Accutrigger adjustment spring all the way end to end, and dryfire it a few times to see how it feels. If you feel that it is too heavy of a trigger pull, you can always swap out springs to the target version, or change the trigger all together.

The Accutrigger safety blade should prevent any accidental discharges, and make sure you do a drop test to check that the trigger is not set too light. Above all else, BE SAFE!!

DK

It sounds like it is functioning normal but the trigger pull is set to low try increasing the pull a half turn at a time. The trigger is designed to trip if the safety shoe is not depressed first it will also trip if the pull is set to low. It can also happen if the trigger sear engagement area is dirty. The trigger was designed to be adjustable but safe for people like me who play with them to much.

we were able to adjust the one on the rifle that I worked on and get it back fully functional but its not an ideal adjustable trigger by any means in my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage 10fp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was also able to make the firing pin fall half way by pulling the trigger with out depressing the accutriggers safety trigger. This also locks up the trigger. </div></div>

Mine does this quite often. It doesnt take much and usually happens when I'm just starting to finger the trigger before actually starting to make the real pull.

Its annoying and I agree that it should not take such little pressure on the trigger to lock it up.

I've got a couple of Savages. My .308 never gave me any problems, but my .223 drove me nuts. Didn't matter what the trigger pull was set to, the trigger would lock up at least 10-15% of the time. Lost a lott of confidence in the rifle. Put a SSS competition trigger on it and haven't had a problem since. Liked the SSS trigger so much I put one on the .308.

Bought my triggers through Tactical Works out of Colorado. They were at my door within a couple of days, though I'm only a state over. About a $100 each.

There is a fix and it allows you to go lower than normal in pull weight. What i have done is replaced the trigger pin on a couple with a screw and nut. A barrel screw works best but I have only found a couple that were the right size. When you tighten the screw up you can take out some of the side to side play which contributes to the accident trip. Do not over tighten because it will increase the pull. Use loctite.

I tried this because I lost a trigger pin while cleaning one and used the screw until i could get a new pin. but now it has stayed.

I have found the exact same scenario happens when one pulls incorrectly on the trigger, If you pull on the shoe of the trigger without depressing completely the safety first, it wil do exactly as you said. Proper trigger engagement is the key, you have to pull straight on the trigger and depress the safety first, before any pressure is applied to the shoe. I have never liked the look nor the quirks of the accutrigger, I therefore removed the saftey from the shoe, and it works just like any other trigger. I have NEVER had any kind of malfunction with the trigger in this setup, yet many others seem to have even occasional "half-fire" problems like you describe. Check it out

i think its a problem with the accutrigger. my savage 12 has done this maybe 10 times after about 800-900 rounds. i would definitely replace the trigger if my life was in danger when i planned to use this rifle.

1. People who are stupid and adjust it but don't check it.
2. A batch of M10pc's which had them too light from the factory.
3. A few random rifles which are like it from new.
4. Side pulling the trigger.

If you want a match trigger, buy one.

have seen it happen , have had it happen
was told it is a safety
My dilema w/ there reasoning is this I dont care if I
jerk the trigger W/ my Co*% ! It better go bang.

saw it happen twenty times in a row at an f class shoot
Not my gun.
saw another one happen off and on all weekend on a 308
and have heard it is common Im not bashing savage
Ive owned afew
but in my opinion I would swap the trigger and call it good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have seen it happen , have had it happen
was told it is a safety
My dilema w/ there reasoning is this I dont care if I
jerk the trigger W/ my Co*% ! It better go bang.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Yep, MUCH better to have an unsafe gun.</span>

saw it happen twenty times in a row at an f class shoot
Not my gun.

<span style="color: #FF0000">How much do you bet he had "adjusted" the trigger?</span>

saw another one happen off and on all weekend on a 308
and have heard it is common

<span style="color: #FF0000">Read my first post in this thread
wink.gif
</span>

Im not bashing savage
Ive owned afew
but in my opinion I would swap the trigger and call it good. </div></div>

havent had this happen on any of the accutrigger rifles (rimfire or centerfire) that I have owned. Just pick up a rifle basix trigger from shootersdiscount for around $82 shipped, best price on them anywhere.

I have found the tripping to happen when you transition from a standard trigger to the Accu-trigger...I like to put the ball of my finger on the tip of the trigger. Can't do that with the Accu-trigger. You have to depress the safety. Different feel and different trigger control issues. I don't like the adjustment I have to make in my head when I switch...so I switched to the Rifle Basik to keep everything the same as much as I can. JMHO

Yep, MUCH better to have an unsafe gun
Sorry but if you squeeze/jerk/push/activate a trigger it should go bang
safe or not is not the issue .
How much do you bet he had "adjusted" the trigger?

It is an accu trigger right? and the first time I saw it I dont know if it was adjusted or not but the second one was not because it was my rifle.
I hate to say it but it is a problem .
and irregardless of how you break it down it is the last issue that you want in any platform because it raises doubt(will it go bang)
I like the rifle . but if its an issue to more the a couple people
they need to look into it .
Me personally I could care less I sold the rifle to my dad 3 years ago
I run a 700 and told him he will have a trigger for xmas and that will settle the problem once and for all.

Accu Trigger is Not Suitable for Hard use... they Fail. As bad as I hate to Recommend SSS with their Horrible Customer Service... get one of their Triggers. www.tacticalwroks.com is Probably the best place to get one.

hmm....never had the problem. My trigger breaks like glass and has a very good feel to it. Of course I have only shot this rifle about 30 times so far. We'll see what happens, but if it does happen then I see a new trigger in the future!

I managed to duplicate this with my 10PC with a so-far untouched trigger. I had to beat the heck out of the bolt to get it to lock the trigger and even then I could only get it to happen a couple of times. I could never foresee ever doing that to a gun under any circumstances, this was way beyond just working the action hard.

The trigger is doing what it was designed to do. The issue is with the shooter. I've had it happen with not working the trigger properly. I've also had it happen by not cycling the bolt with my man hands. Ya can't baby the bolt, ya can't baby the trigger, and you can't work it incorrectly while expecting it to work. Crap technique in, crap results out.
----

Per the manual: <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With safety as our primary concern, the Accu-Trigger design requires the shooter place their finger squarely over the accurelease. Pulling the trigger from the side or directly rearward will cause the sear to disengage and be blocked by the accurelease. Although a click may be heard, the sear is blocked when this happens. The bolt must be raised and lowered to re-cock the firearm.</div></div>

Read the manual. They didn't put it in the box to light fires with.

It happened to me a few times so I pulled the action out of the stock and cleaned the trigger. That fixed it! I would rather have the trigger lock when closing the bolt than have it fire.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Read the manual. They didn't put it in the box to light fires with.</div></div>

I did read the manual but as you can see this is happening when the trigger is not being engaged at all. This is happening because the action is being worked "to hard" adjusting the trigger to a heavier pull solved the problem. But my issue is that Savage has an issue with this system. As they claim it is adjustable from 6 to 1.5 lbs. But what they don't mention is that at less than 3 lbs, the action will malfunction.

You can try to put it all on the user but I have never had this issue with any of my other firearms. And I find it surprising how many other people have had this problem.

I have a SSS trigger that I had installed with some other work I had done. I love the trigger and plan on getting another.

I know others have had bad experiences with their CS, but I thought it was fine and loved the work.

SS<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus895</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SSS trigger that I had installed with some other work I had done. I love the trigger and plan on getting another.

I know others have had bad experiences with their CS, but I thought it was fine and loved the work.</div></div>

Great triggers but I didn't even know they had customer service.

has anyone ever used a scale to see what poundage the trigger is set at when this happens? i hear people say its at 3.0 pounds but do we really know thats what the issue is? maybe its below that, maybe its above. never had it happen from working the bolt

Have had the same problem with my m10pc. When you work the bolt hard it clicks to half cock. Have not had the problem with engaging the trigger just when shuting the bolt fast.

I just bought a used 10FP and I have the same thing when closing the bolt.I am going to check the trigger adjustment and see if that will help.

you might try just cleaning the trigger and oiling it before adjusting it. some have said thats all they needed to get this to stop

I had the same issue with my 10FCP-K. I called Savage and customer service recommended sending it in but were unfamiliar with the issue. So I took it out of the stock and noticed the pin that holds the trigger assembly to the receiver had worked its way out just far enough to allow the sear block (not sure if that's what its called, but its the outside metal piece that rests on the trigger bar) to coke out of alignment which caused the dear to trip when cycling the bolt. I also noticed a wear mark on the inside of the stock where the head of the pin rubbed after coming loose. I experimented with the action while it was out of the stock and was able to replicate the problem as long as the pin was not seated properly. I also found there was just enough room in the stock to allow the pin to come loose enough for the seat to fall out of alignment. I glued a small piece of plastic to the inside of the stock reducing the space for the pin to work loose and was no longer able to cause the half cock problem. I hope this fixes it permanently. And I hope his helps you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FOTH21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same issue with my 10FCP-K. I called Savage and customer service recommended sending it in but were unfamiliar with the issue. So I took it out of the stock and noticed the pin that holds the trigger assembly to the receiver had worked its way out just far enough to allow the sear block (not sure if that's what its called, but its the outside metal piece that rests on the trigger bar) to coke out of alignment which caused the dear to trip when cycling the bolt. I also noticed a wear mark on the inside of the stock where the head of the pin rubbed after coming loose. I experimented with the action while it was out of the stock and was able to replicate the problem as long as the pin was not seated properly. I also found there was just enough room in the stock to allow the pin to come loose enough for the seat to fall out of alignment. I glued a small piece of plastic to the inside of the stock reducing the space for the pin to work loose and was no longer able to cause the half cock problem. I hope this fixes it permanently. And I hope his helps you. </div></div>

Thank you for your post. I just got my FCP-K put together and have started shooting it. If I run into this problem, I will follow your suggestions
smile.gif

I have a 110BA and haven't run across this myself, however I let my dad shoot it and he was the first person to recreate this on my rifle. From what I could observe he would futz with the AccuTrigger blade instead of give it a clean break, like press on it slightly then release, over and over. Eventually it would click and lock him out. Wasn't able to recreate on a dummy round so I think he may have been anticipating the click and letting off or something. I've never been able to recreate it.

I may have been experiencing a separate problem. My half-cock issue was happening during the cycling of the bolt and was happening before any touching of the trigger.

take it out of the stock, clean it off and relube it lightly. some guys have said this eliminates it.

I have had the same problem with my 10 FLCP-K. However, it has never happend to me when shooting. I'm a south paw, and when I rack another round tend to slam it home and have never had a problem. I have let some friends shoot it, all right handers, and they don't slam the bolt home like I do. And half the time they try to send a round, all they get is a "click". The only difference I can tell is how hard you run the bolt. All the trigger settings are still factory, but it sit's in a manners stock.