• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Issues with -- New Remington 700 308 target tactical VTR 5R 26" VTR

Yep, that's the one. There is no once in a lifetime rifle for most of the guys on here. The question is more likely how many safes do you need to hold all the once in a life time rifles you've already bought knowing full well that you're going to buy more. Right now you're like a kid in a candy store with a pocket full of money. If you can't taste the candy, you could end up buying a whole load of crap you can't stand. I still recommend you find out if your Rem. will shoot and then spend your money on good optics and shooting. This is not a dig, everybody starts at the beginning.

At the top of each forum there are stickys with invaluable info. As helpful as the stickys may be, ultimately they just lead to more questions. That's the fun of all this.

Quarter Horse - I am actually very excited to get it back. I need a picatinney rail. I have a uso sn3 3.8-22x44 waiting for it.

The 5R rifling is not any more accurate than standard rifling. what it does have is the ability to shoot a lot of rounds without cleaning, and still keep the accuracy. I have a Krieger 5R, on a 40X, in .284, that I built and I can shoot a 2 day match of 130 to 150 rounds through it, without cleaning it until we are finished, and my last strings are as accurate and sometimes more if someone is pushing me. If I am being pushed by someone, my last string will usually be the highest for the 2 days. The regular rifling will not usually do that. And I beat all kinds of custom actions with my Remington's, so you are better off keeping that rifle and put your money into ammo, or reloading components and shot it.

They are replacing the rifle with a new one after they run a new batch of the tactical target 5r 26" (no brake). Expecting delivery in August.

They are replacing the rifle with a new one after they run a new batch of the tactical target 5r 26" (no brake). Expecting delivery in August.

I just went through this with Remington over a .223 LTR that was built in 2000 that I had shot out (approx. 7200 rnds). I'd asked them how much to rebarrel. Their reply was, "we don't rebarrel". What they had me do was send in the action without barrel (because I cut the chamber off to use as a case gauge). They did an evaluation (bet that was hard) and quoted me, for a new complete barreled action minus the trigger (they used my old one), for $433.xx which included shipping and tax and a 20% discount. They did charge me for proofing and testing, I guess because it is considered a Police model they had to build it as opposed to taking it off the shelf. I don't know. This took just over 4 weeks to get it back. Good luck with the replacement barreled action.

Sorry to hear of your problem. I just got a Rem 700 5R Tactical with 24" bbl...shoots like a house afire. Barreled action mounted in an AICS AX chassis...terrific set-up produces <0.5" groups at 100 yds

FH

Greg Underwood from Remington called to inform me that it will be late fall probably early summer before I can get a replacement.
He asked if I would like to wait till then or exchange the TT for a different model or even refund my purchase price. I provided him a list of items that I would be interested in. I was told that Remington doesnt keep stock items but they do have a distribution warehouse. Maybe I will be able to do a 1911 and a 308?
I am curious to find out what items he comes back with and if I will get somewhat of a discount on a custom.

SPS Tactical AAC-SD in 308, 20" barrel 1/10" twist (preferably a 5R)
SPS Tactical in 308, 20" barrel 1/12" twist (preferably a 5R)
XCR ll in 300wm, 24" barrel 1/10" twist
XCR ll in 338wm, 26" barrel 1/10" twist
A 1911R1 carry

I havent yet priced these items so I am not sure if they are out of my price point?
700 ABG in 458mag or 416 rem mag
40XB Rangemaster in 300wm
APR in 338wm
XM3

My buddy has one of those.
He hates the B&C stock but I think it's okay.
With the flats machined on the barrel, the barrel looks like it's bent, but the problem is the flats are not machined straight... it's pretty disappointing IMHO.
It cost him over $1500 a few years ago when he bought it.
He has managed a few .75 MOA @100 yards 5 shot groups with FGMM 168 and some reloads I put together with 168 SMKs but it's not consistently accurate.

Joe

I'd honestly stick with the rifle you've already picked out. I'm not a fan of the 700 action, bit of a savage snob truth be told, but credit where its due that 700 TT is downright awesome. The stock is more than adequate for the shooting I'm capable of and while I hate the new rounded trigger shoe of the xmark trigger function wise its pretty damned good. I'd shoot it happily and re barrel it after I'd shot it out

I just got the rifle back, last night.
It appears that they replaced the entire rifle. I will break it down tonight to see if the BC stock was the original.

Issues that Remington found:
M173 - barrel bracket out of position/broken
M177 - stock not bedded/inletted properly
M179 - barrel to receiver misaligned

Thanks for keeping this updated. I was interested in how Rem. would respond and it sounds as if they were very reasonable in providing you options. Now we need a range report.

After a bit more inspection they replace the entire rifle not just the receiver and barrel. The fit, finish on this rifle are far superior than the previous one.
I have a uso 22x for it. i need to pick up some ammo and a pic. rail and hit the range. I am hoping that the pic. rail won't need bedding.

I'm not surprised that you got a new barreled action instead of them correcting the original problems. Recently, I contacted Remington about an LTR that I had shot out (.223 with about 7200 rounds). I asked if they could rebarrel it for me, their repy was no. But they offered to inspect it for me and if they determined it was shot out, they would sell me a new LTR barreled action at a 20% disount (customer loyalty program I guess) for approx $425 shipped. All I sent them was an action (no barrel since I cut it up), the buggered up original bolt and trigger. A month later, I had a new barreled action. They did install and adjust my old trigger though.

After a bit more inspection they replace the entire rifle not just the receiver and barrel. The fit, finish on this rifle are far superior than the previous one.
I have a uso 22x for it. i need to pick up some ammo and a pic. rail and hit the range. I am hoping that the pic. rail won't need bedding.

Congrats on getting your issue taken care of! Sounds like Remington did good by you.

I shoot a 5r milspec and wouldn't say it's any better or worse than other model 700's. The only advantage over the your rifle would be the price. My 5r milspec was only $1200. If you sell the factory HS Precision stock for $100 that would give you $500-$600 to invest in an aftermarket chassis.
A brief evolution of my 5r:

Next addition should be a set of viperskins and atlas bipod

My first choice was the AAC-SD. I was in the market for a 308 and at the time I purchased this rifle the pickings in Ca were extremely slim.
Taking the 300wm out every other week I was burning through my check book. My impression was that the TT 308 would be a tac driver and I could get some inexpensive shooting in while ammo was hard to find.

* If I would have known that I would have to take the time to send it back and deal with 25 emails and wait 3+ months I would have NEVER purchased this rifle.