• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Issues with Redding seater die

Canuck1977

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2011
Mirabel Canada
Hi guys,

might have a problem with my Redding Comp seater die with micrometer in 308w.

once the round gets out of the die, the bullet is scratched only on one side. Took the die appart twice but all seems good. The seating stem leaves a small ring on the bullet but what concerns me the most is the scratches...

what do you think?

cheers
981ED390-A92B-4570-B0B0-C9757C2320A5.jpeg

We’re these bullets previously pulled?

I don’t think the seater does touches anywhere near the base of the bullet.

Are you loading compressed charges? It's a long shot but is it possible you're running light neck tension, and the compressed powder is pushing the bullet back out of the case?

that is odd. Do you have another seater to try? I am with Kadams. The seater usually leaves a circular Ring on the nose of the bullet. It normally does not touch the sides. Does this occur with every round loaded? Have you tried a different brand bullet?

The bullet is held in a very close fitting bore. Try taking the seater die apart and sliding one of those bullets into the chamber cylinder to see if there is any resistance.

I’m not loading compressed loads and neck tension is at about 0.0015”. Took it apart and was looking good. Loaded A-Max, ELD-M and 155gr scenars and not a problem. Will have to look at my 300wm die set... will see if it does the same thing. Out of line press ram??

My 260 seater die does the same thing every once in awhile, scratches the bullet up on one side. Maybe its happening due to bullet tipping over slightly when running the ram up to seat bullet. Will have to experiment myself.
Definitely interested in what you find.

Reactions: Canuck1977
I've had this on a couple dies. The hole for the bullet is very tight and the edge is sharp. You can get some fine emory paper and touch the lead edge to smooth it a bit. My stem does the same ring. I have polished and chamfered it but really it needs to be replaced.

I've had this on a couple dies. The hole for the bullet is very tight and the edge is sharp. You can get some fine emory paper and touch the lead edge to smooth it a bit. My stem does the same ring. I have polished and chamfered it but really it needs to be replaced.
Thanks a lot for this tip, I’ll try it right away.