• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors It’s Not a Silencer?

doesn’t seem to be any different then a Surefire Warden or Noveske’s Pig flamethrower. No baffles or end cap.

As long as it doesn’t reduce the decibels and only redirects them, it’ll be around probably as long as the others.

I know this is advertised as sound mitigation, and according to the video does a so-so job redirecting sound away from the shooter. As a bi-product I'd wonder about the functioning as brake. Does it do much there?

It’s essentially a blast can with a brake inside. Not a bad idea. I will probably try one at some point.

If you’ve never tried a blast can on a short barreled AR, you don’t have any idea how much better it is to shoot one with than without. ETA, from a sound at the shooter perspective.

Reactions: TACC
I have a blast can for use when not putting the suppressor on (cheapskate etc, I have one that swaps several guns) and I don't get much difference in sound to my head with or without. But since over a brake it helps adjacent shooters. And when shooting under shelter, etc. where the sound can bounce around.

It does kill some brake effects (physics confuses me, but somehow: not all of it?) so I don't use all the time though.

Reactions: Just Chuck
I have a blast can for use when not putting the suppressor on (cheapskate etc, I have one that swaps several guns) and I don't get much difference in sound to my head with or without. But since over a brake it helps adjacent shooters. And when shooting under shelter, etc. where the sound can bounce around.

It does kill some brake effects (physics confuses me, but somehow: not all of it?) so I don't use all the time though.
I have a bunch of suppressors, and have played with blast cans, linear comps etc.
To me they take that obnoxious blast you get with aggressive breaks and/or short barrels and brings it back down to a regular unsuppressed, bare muzzle rifle with reasonable barrel length. No real benefit in recoil reduction, or hearing safe.

The are not a silencer, not even close and no way below the 140db limit that is considered hearing safe. Many believe 140db is too high by the way and if it increases back pressure it may be increasing the port noise.

If it was anywhere close to hearing safe they would be advertising the sound reduction and make it by definition NFA territory.

What they are nice for is things like tactical courses where you don't want to blast friends, range officers, barricades, paper targets etc. With the blast from a short barrel and break. Many suppressor companies make something similar that fits on suppressor muzzle device but advertising them as redirecting blast.

For $175 I would put that towards a form 1 stamp and make a damn silencer instead of a brake/shroud, way better use of your money IMO

Reactions: Tx_Aggie
doesn’t seem to be any different then a Surefire Warden or Noveske’s Pig flamethrower. No baffles or end cap.

As long as it doesn’t reduce the decibels and only redirects them, it’ll be around probably as long as the others.
I ran a Noveske KX3 (pig) for about 7 years on a pinned 14.5" 5.56, and it definitely made the gun louder. I recently drilled out the pin, and removed the rest, and then reinstalled a Dead Air KeyMount muzzle brake. Then topped it off with a JMac Customs BDS-37 with a Dead Air KeyMo Omega mount. It's basically the same thing as what's in the video, but it works well. It really does throw the blast and sound away from the shooter and the people around the shooter, but because the diameter of the BDS-37 is almost the same ID as the blast chamber of a Sandman-S, it functions about the same, and allows the muzzle brake to still fully-function.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pusher591
I tried silencercos version of this on a buddies rifle... Made that 308 feel more like a 3006 and loud as hell
Yeah, my cousin has a fortis and it takes an other wise loud as fuck brake and somehow adds a bass drum into the equation on top of it and it’ll rattle my brains like no other.
I hate brakes, I hate these loudeners even more
1620083648902.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Tx_Aggie
It doesn't seem to have any way to redirect the flow of gas away from straight ahead. So physics says it does nothing to reduce recoil

That^

The warden goes over my brakes. Physics says the brake won’t be as effective but my shoulder can’t tell the difference. My ears (or anyone on the furring line) on the other hand notice a significant difference. Fortunately my hunting area finally opened up for suppressors so the warden has been collecting dust. But it’s a great tool for the tool bag.

Reactions: shoobe01 and lash
Has anyone ever placed their phone in a corner to amplify the sound coming from the speaker? Its not quite the same, but similar. Wait til you experience a loudener on a 12.5" 308 "pistol." I admit it somewhat helped if you were directly behind the shooter by a few feet, but not if you were the shooter itself. I would hate to be in front of that thing.

Has anyone ever placed their phone in a corner to amplify the sound coming from the speaker? Its not quite the same, but similar. Wait til you experience a loudener on a 12.5" 308 "pistol." I admit it somewhat helped if you were directly behind the shooter by a few feet, but not if you were the shooter itself. I would hate to be in front of that thing.
Well no kidding! Nobody wants to be in front of you while you’re firing. That would just be stupid on their part. 😄

ETA: but seriously, it may make a difference how long the barrel is on your rifle.

Reactions: FuhQ and spife7980
That^

The warden goes over my brakes. Physics says the brake won’t be as effective but my shoulder can’t tell the difference. My ears (or anyone on the furring line) on the other hand notice a significant difference. Fortunately my hunting area finally opened up for suppressors so the warden has been collecting dust. But it’s a great tool for the tool bag.
Actually if you use the correct setup (don't know about the one in the video) the brake will still be fully-functional and work as intended, and it will still divert blast and sound outward away from the shooter and the people around you.

Reactions: lash
Actually if you use the correct setup (don't know about the one in the video) the brake will still be fully-functional and work as intended, and it will still divert blast and sound outward away from the shooter and the people around you.
Yeah, I can’t tell a difference between just the brake and the brake with the warden but it redirects that gas back forward so math says you loose some “efficiency” of the brake somewhere. I live the warden, also have a custom diffuser for a tranquilo brake that works just as well.