• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing It doesn't get any more redneck

LongbowT76

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2012
This is my first attempt at a rifle build and how it has progressed to its current configuration. The whole setup (less the glass) totals up to $818. There is no dangerous game where I live. I shoot recreationally, at paper and carry a handgun for personal defense. My life will never depend on this weapon. As such, I cut a lot of corners, did it cheap and got the “tacticool” look I was going for. Hopefully it doesn’t get me laughed out of here… It actually performs pretty well.
2012-09-28_13-06-42_576.jpg

It started life as an all-black 700 SPS Varmint in .308 win with a 26” barrel. It was $569 off the shelf new. At the time, I thought the VTR stock looked better, so I painted it green. No, your eyes don’t deceive you…. That is a Barfska. (I have made more than one uninformed decision in my life.) It didn’t shoot too bad from the factory, about 1moa with FGMM.
firstmod_zps4a782242.jpg

The 2nd configuration consisted of a Choate stock ($189), new paint and hand lapped bolt lugs. The lap job consisted of a wooden dowel rod down the barrel, some valve lapping compound out of my garage and an hour or two of my time, so we’ll call that a free-bee. Oddly enough, it now started showing a (slight) preference for 168 gr Hornady TAP-FPD. I haven’t tried any Black Hills thru it yet. With the TAP and FGMM, it shoots between .5 and .75 moa at 200 yards. These are three shot groups. I don’t know if it is me, or the rifle. When I go for 5, I inevitably get a flier. Hell, maybe we both get nervous.
choate_zpsb15cf3c9.jpg

This is how she sits today. The Viper PST (for now) gets passed back and forth between this rifle and my Savage 110BA, until I can convince the wife that there really is a good reason to spend the money on a PMII. If anyone has a compelling argument I can try, let me know! The base is an EGW 20MOA, $43, (bedded to the receiver, per a How-to video by LonewolfUSMC). I had a moment of profound wisdom and chopped the barrel down to 20.” With a hack saw. I intended to buy a crowning reamer, and still probably will. For now, it has a crown of unknown angle, done with a high speed grinder. I haven’t lost any accuracy, at least at 200 yards. That is the limit of my range. I’m sure it could be suffering farther out, but I don’t have the room to test it.
rightside_zpsa75662fb.jpg

Finally, the bolt knob…. $5. It is a ball of epoxy based metal putty. I had this wonderful idea after I found that there are no well equipped gunsmiths advertised in my area. During the “R&D” phase, I mocked up a ball on a 9/16” head bolt. I let it set and commenced beating the crap out of it. It survived that, so I figured I’d give it a try. Worst case scenario, it falls off and I am back where I started.
2012-09-28_12-01-53_662.jpg

I wear latex gloves to keep the crap off my hands. Washing it off is a PITA. The pan of water is to wet the gloves after getting the ball formed around the bolt knob. It kept it from sticking to the gloves and helped smooth the surface.
2012-09-28_12-09-11_513.jpg

After it sat for about 30 minutes, I sanded with 60, then 180 grit. I should have sanded and shaped some more. It sands really well.
2012-09-28_12-39-47_585.jpg

And after some paint…. A clearance check. Got lucky! Should have reversed the order there
2012-09-28_13-07-09_419.jpg

Re: It doesn't get any more redneck

I have seen worse. As long as you are happy and it shoots, however I would not lap lugs without removing the barrel and checking headspace.

I've always wondered why someone hasn't made a bolt bolt extension that simply clamps onto the existing bolt. Been looking around Northern UT for a smith that can install a badger type knob with no luck yet. Might resort to your idea or just mailing it to someone.

I really don't see any issues here at all... good on you.

I have some beautiful customs and a couple total beater grade rifles. They each get a special place and as long as they shoot within expectations I'm gonna keep them.

This is overall pretty cool, I like the bolt knob and the angle grinder crown
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smurfwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always wondered why someone hasn't made a bolt bolt extension that simply clamps onto the existing bolt. Been looking around Northern UT for a smith that can install a badger type knob with no luck yet. Might resort to your idea or just mailing it to someone. </div></div>

Actually someone does, I think it's the same people that make the KRG chassis, but likely I'm confused. It does exist though.

Good point on the head space. Probably not something i should be advertising, as i didn't do it safely. I should add the disclaimer that only enough material was removed to start seeing machining marks on both of the lugs. basically a couple of ten-thousandths off of one lug and its mating surface. Still, not the right way. Thanks for the positive comments though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smurfwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always wondered why someone hasn't made a bolt bolt extension that simply clamps onto the existing bolt. Been looking around Northern UT for a smith that can install a badger type knob with no luck yet. Might resort to your idea or just mailing it to someone. </div></div>

Here you go Smurf

http://www.kineticresearchgroup.com/products/boltlift.php

No safe queen here!

You have it right: You own the rifle; it doesn't own you. Kinda like the freedom that comes with a beater car!

Most importantly your rifle functions better than it did before.

No answers form me on the PMII/wife question!

Like it all except the "my life will never depend on it" part. This world is so fuckin uncertain that I'm just not sure I believe that..

Very cool guys, thanks for the link. That one is so ugly it would probably make me drop my rifle if I glanced down and saw it! The epoxy bolt extension pictured above looks a ton better than that one. I just found PCR on here so will probably go that route.

Oh, I'm well equipped to defend whatever needs defending! I have a full length AR, mini-14, 870, 1911 etc that would all be far more appropriate than a bolt gun!
wink.gif
In a pinch, this would be the last one I would turn to. If I'm going to experiment, this is the one to do it on.

I just have gotten my hands on some sample Kinetic Bolt knobs..
...... I put them back in the box. I do have to say, I like the steel putty a lot better.

I wish I had the balls to cut down my own barrel with a hack saw, but I just pay my smith the $85 to cut and recrown.

Awesome Job though, I like your bolt knob

photo.jpg

Well, being that I'm a little impatient and kinda handy... I went ahead last night and used the OP's idea and made my own extended bolt handle. Started off by super glueing a large nut on the end of the factory handle to add weight and give the exopy paste something to form around. I used MSR Quicksteel epoxy putty, spent some time sanding/shaping then dipped it into truck bedliner and let it sit overnight. The bedliner gave it a slight texture that helps to hide any slight imperfection in the finish sanding and I think it turned out pretty good. I'm happy with it.

That's a good looking rig! Nice job on the handle.

Here's a cheek rest I whipped up this morning. Made it out of a hard plastic mud flap. I cut it with a jig saw and moulded it over the stock with a heat gun. I did an absolutely horrid job of keeping the slots straight, but somehow it still has full travel. It has a personalized thumb print in the back. I would definately suggest wearing gloves!
2012-10-04_10-28-11_80.jpg

2012-10-04_10-55-42_966.jpg

2012-10-04_12-06-35_626.jpg

2012-10-04_12-06-49_379.jpg

Being originally from Texas, that right there is what I call "Redneck Ingenuity"!!

I guaranteed to start seeing more of those bolt knobs around here!! Job well done!!

DK

At least your having fun in the process of learning, and you got more guts than I do. The most I have done is Free floated a barrel in a wood stock and replaced 3 Triggers. thinking about bedding my first action early next year

Hello

Good job on all your Redneck mods. I have a Savage .243 Win. that I made a stock for out of birch plywood and put a varmint weight 26" barrel on. It would be nice to cut that barrel down to 22" or so. I've thought of using a hack saw but haven't got the nerve up yet. You may inspire me to give it a try. If I screw it up I can just replace it or pay to have it fixed.

On some forum or another someone used the head of a carriage bolt chucked into a drill with lapping compound to clean up the muzzle.

I've made a cheek rest similar to yours for one rifle of mine. It made a big difference in comfort and in my opinion looks pretty decent.

Your bolt knob looks good and will probably last.

Sim

I finally got a chance to get out this a.m. and do a bit of plinking. The bolt knob held up just fine to some pretty violent racking. I need to get about another 1/2" higher with the cheek weld. With the barrel chopped, my bullet drop at 200 yards is now 4.75." So, i have lost an estimated 40-50fps, by cutting down the barrel. I had a 15-20mph wind at my 7 o'clock. Smallest group of the morning was just over .5" (3-rounds). Of course I didn't have my phone with me to take any range pics. Getting a group like that at the range, by yourself is like getting a hole-in-one playing a round of golf solo! Oh well. That side of the refridgerator still has a few blank areas. I'll get some pics next time.

One thing I failed to mention in my original list of "mods." After my initial barrel break-in (cleaned out the factory grease before firing and cleaning every box or so for the first 100 rounds) I polished the bore with a tight fitting patch and Mother's Chrome and Aluminum Polish. I was always amazed with how my bike shined after using it, so I tried it in my rifle bore. It seems to have worked. A little 40X cleaner and 2-3 dry patches and she shines like a mirror.

You could use a marble covered with a fine lapping compound to smooth out the crown a bit - just roll it around on the crown. Otherwise, guess you can just lap by shooting!

Awesome job man! I have a cerakote'd thumb print in my first attempt at camo. I've learned alot from my mistakes and nobody can ever say it's not mine.

It has been my pleasure. I've been lurking in these forums for a while. I've learned volumes from others on here. Feels good to give a little something back. Even if it is the cheapest "knob job" around!

There must be some Russian blood flowing through your veins...

As far as I have been told.... Swede/Bohemian and, German/Irish. These claims are supported by my height:width, dark hair, red beard and near blonde... um... eyebrows. Oh, I am a handsome one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could use a marble covered with a fine lapping compound to smooth out the crown a bit - just roll it around on the crown. Otherwise, guess you can just lap by shooting!

</div></div>

the one thing i keep reading about is using a brass slotted pan head screw chucked into hand drill for redoing a crown too.

i've never tried it, but am tempted to give it a whirl on an old 10/22 barrel just for giggles. It was a horrible shooter in the first place - which is why the barrel was replaced - so even if i totally screw the pooch with it it'd be a no loss expierenment for me.

You didn't get to see my previous "cheek rest" It was a foam and digi-tape affair. I will be trying the bolt head crown soon. Stay tuned

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just have gotten my hands on some sample Kinetic Bolt knobs..
...... I put them back in the box. I do have to say, I like the steel putty a lot better. </div></div>

lol
grin.gif
+1

Yea, those things are a bit fugly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plant.one</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could use a marble covered with a fine lapping compound to smooth out the crown a bit - just roll it around on the crown. Otherwise, guess you can just lap by shooting!

</div></div>

the one thing i keep reading about is using a brass slotted pan head screw chucked into hand drill for redoing a crown too.

i've never tried it, but am tempted to give it a whirl on an old 10/22 barrel just for giggles. It was a horrible shooter in the first place - which is why the barrel was replaced - so even if i totally screw the pooch with it it'd be a no loss expierenment for me. </div></div>

Next size larger bullet chucked up in a drill puts these methods to shame in the redneck gunsmithing competition.

I happen to have some of that putty at home.... Guess what Im going to do when I get home from work? HA HA great idea, thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clayne_b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I happen to have some of that putty at home.... Guess what Im going to do when I get home from work? HA HA great idea, thanks! </div></div>

oh...jeez

eek.gif

Pretty fugly but if your happy...well... it's still ugly.

I'm waiting for someone to thread their bolt handle and install a knob off their wife's vanity.