• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

It finally runs!

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    This has been my little side project for the last year or so.

Crack comes in various forms for all of us:

Enjoy.

C.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MWDosPup5L0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MWDosPup5L0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: It finally runs!

Looks great.

On a side note, the music sounds like Maynard James Keenan. If it's Tool or A Perfect Circle I haven't heard it before. Can you shed some light on it's origin please?

Don't count on owning planes like this much longer.

‘Toy plane’ terror plot grounded

By ANDY SOLTIS

Last Updated: 7:05 AM, September 29, 2011

Posted: 12:35 AM, September 29, 2011

A 26-year-old Massachusetts man was busted yesterday in a bizarre plot to attack the Pentagon and US Capitol with remote-controlled model planes packed with explosives.

Rezwan Ferdaus, a US citizen, was radicalized by watching jihadist Web sites and planned to kill “enemies of Allah” in an elaborate plot hatched a year ago, according to the Justice Department.

But the collaborators he thought were al Qaeda recruiters turned out to be undercover FBI agents and they arrested him yesterday after he took possession of his arsenal -- including grenades, six AK-47 assault rifles and what he believed were 25 pounds of C-4 explosives.

Ferdaus, a graduate of Northeastern University with a degree in physics, began talking last December with an ex-con about attacking the Pentagon with small “drone airplanes” guided by GPS equipment to “decapitate” the military.

The ex-con, who was working with the feds, and the undercover agents recorded numerous talks in which Ferdaus elaborated on his plan, which also involved blowing the dome of the Capitol “to smithereens.”

He planned to launch the model planes from near the Jefferson Memorial, and at one time set July 5, during the Independence Day weekend, as the date.

In March he told the agents that he conducted some of his research “in a way that’s more secure” in New York, apparently at an Internet cafe.

Ferdaus, of Ashland, Mass., also bought cellphones, removed the back covers and soldered wires to each phone in order to turn them into an electrical switch for improvised explosive devices to be used in Iraq.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/to...J#ixzz1ZLX5gigL

In a modern world, new capabilities abound, and in our modern world, Neo-Luddites will use any reason as a blatant excuse to force their wills on others.

Thinking is dangerous, only some ideas are acceptable, and by damn it's their ideas which must prevail.

If they weren't so frackin' persistent and dangerous, they'd be highly entertaining; they're so over-the-top ludicrous.

This what happens when personal initiative is deliberately stifled at all levels.

No, no, just lay back and let <span style="font-style: italic">us</span> run your world for you.

...Really nice R/C A/C, BTW...

Greg

I read about "Habib's" little stunt.

The act of one is unlikely to thwart a hobby that's existed safely, successfully for over half a century.

The AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics)has a lobbying voice with Washington, is a member on committees with the Dept of Homeland Security, the FAA, and a few others.

There's been legislation on the books all summer regarding increasing the "dead zone airspace" between RC club fields and commercial airports.

Time will tell I'm sure. The RC hobby industry is worth about half a billion to the US economy annually. In the middle of an economic yeast infection it's not good business to cut the nuts off of an industry because of one dipshit.

Nevermind the educational impact it has with a number of schools and universities. Not everyone wants to play football. Many, many schools offer programs supported/orchestrated through the AMA that teach the fundamentals of aeronautics.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mac the knife</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it ready to fly, or still in progress? I'm liking the video. Thanks for posting. </div></div>

Flew it earlier this year. Wasn't happy with performance. Had issues with heat. Once that was resolved the factory wings started developing unwanted dihedral while cornering. A buddy actually tore the wings off of his down in AZ. Snapped the spar in half one day.

So, I decided to take the initiative. Ordered a carbon fiber spar and tore the wings down to assess what I could do to increase strength. Sheeting them in .56oz/ft glass helped a bunch. I've yet to prime/paint them as the ailerons aren't hinged yet. I still have to machine servo mounts yet too.

Winters in SD are long so this'll be a nice sideline project.

As if I need another.

I have a 43% all composite Sukoi to put together as well. then there's my 40% scale Kelly F-1 Pylon plane too. I'm building the engine from scratch on that one. I've also got an El Bandito racer to get after.

I'll likely be too old to fly the dumb things by the time they are all done.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...

The act of one is unlikely to thwart a hobby that's existed safely, successfully for over half a century....

There's been legislation on the books all summer regarding increasing the "dead zone airspace" between RC club fields and commercial airports...

</div></div>

I was giving you the gears about this hobby not lasting long.

This government response is typical, some b.s. law that will accomplish nothing. As if a model ac can't be launched from 50'-80' of flat ground anywhere let alone hand launched. Then when you have t.v. live feed ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-69IbD1m6M4&feature=player_embedded ) this video from another thread in this forum.

You could take off from "wherever" and navigate the streets of any city to a potential target.

Thankfully the F.B.I. and C.I.A are on the job.

Perhaps 20-30 years in sing-sing will give him something to think about.