• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

It says a lot about a forum...

Re: It says a lot about a forum...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to mention her mini skirt, I would rock that shit...
smile.gif

The plaid ones, me in the black boots... Prancing comes to mind.
wink.gif
</div></div>

I can just see it ...

33xx8v4.jpg

... initiating E&E <span style="font-style: italic">now!</span>

I wouldn't go as far as saying that the info you have is worth the price of being hazed. The sum of what I know now came from members, right here, who answered my questions. If someone askes a question that I have knowledge to, I will offer it the same way it was given to me. An honest and legitemate question from a lesser informed individual, regardless of how repetative, does not merit the issued thrashing some of these guys get. While I may not have the glorious post count that some folks rack up within their first year, being here and absorbing what is available, for over 5 years as a registered member, has taught me that someone who is just like I was 5 years ago will need to start somewhere too.

Lowlight is just making sure that those that are ALLOWED to use HIS forum do so the way he intends it to be.

Himaster, I am all about calling things how I see it. You can, however, still show respect to a person while at the same time calling it how it is.

Hazing is good to a point. The problem is not knowing when to quit, taking it out of context, or going too far. I will see veteran members repsond to a new member's post, give him a little burn, and then its open season on the OP with everyone who thinks its game on. Flicking a little shit never hurt anyone, but going on to "one-up" the last post is usually less needed than the post itself.

(SIDE NOTE) Now I get to see if my little stalker witht the Hotmail address sends me another email about kissing Lowlight's ass again.

See ^^^^^ now that's why we can't have nice things.

eta: post above was edited out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">. No I love how these old salts of Snipers Hide with their 2010, 2009 and 2008 join dates know what's best. If you were around here two or three times that long you would see the difference of today and how this site used to be. It will go back to the way it was whether it be done the easy way or the hard way. </div></div>

What if Dave Tubb or Grant Singley joined today? Would they be newbies? Who gives a crap what your join date is or how many posts you have. That means nothing.</div></div>

Dave Tubb is a member and if I remember correctly he has some pretty thick skin. There was quite the heated discussion about the differences between shooting on a range and military shooting. I'm pretty sure there were not any tissues issued.

I think the policy is valid, and I think I've been doing a relatively good job of adhering to it in recent times.

I've been banned several times and I'm hoping I've learned a few things in the process. I do know I'm not the poster I once was. I think more before I post, and often delete my posts as part of the final proofreading before I hit the 'post' button.

I think it makes my posts more worthy.

Basically, if I can't say it with decency and respect, maybe it doesn't need saying (by me, at least). There are (for now, at least) plenty of others here who can handle that aspect, so I really don't need to.

I live my life here as though my next ban is my last and permanent one. I could probably do worse. Maybe there's a lesson in that. I'd sure hate to think the last thing I ever say here was not worthy of remaining on the forum.

If I'm ever tempted to void that thinking, I know it's time to log off the system and go build another model airplane. Amazing how returning to model building has leveled my keel.

The thing that bothers me more in all this is not that we have to caution against burning newbies at the stake, but that we limit the cautionary advice to pillorying newbies. In my imaginary perfect world, that distinction would not exist; and the caution would extend to all.

But nobody listens to me, so why bat my gums in the first place...?

Greg

The biggest thing I see is guys asking a question when they feel they already have the answer, and then hammering anyone who doesn't agree. As well as the guys that asks how to thread a barrel and end up arguing with the likes of A.J.Brown on rifle building. These are not Gentlemen looking to farther their knowledge base and are not in the league as someone seriously looking to better themselves with a rifle.

Guys thanks for explaining to Himaster what I meant because he obviously missed it. Had nothing to do with experience in the shooting world but on this site and how this site used to be and worked.

Kind of reminds me of the military and the firehouse. You got guys who have been there about 2-3 years and then you get a new guy come into the unit and they are the ones who feel the need to show how they have been there and know everything and have to haze the new guys. The guys who don't act like that are the guys who don't feel the need to feel superior and help the new guys.

I have to be one of the newest of the new guys and hesitated signing up, not because of the flaming some newbs get, but because the older I get, the more I prefer to listen than to comment. Over the last year or so of reading hide speak, I've pretty much found everything I was interested in or curious about just by searching around. You guys are right. Pretty much all questions about shooting, loading, groups, targets, gear and on and on is already posted somewhere, laying in wait for anyone to search it out.

A little flame for re-asking a question is expected but sometimes it seems clear that a condescending/flaming response far exceeds a friendly jab and ventures into the land of personal issue, their issue. So what. Most everyone has a few dragons floating around in the dark reaches of their mind and have learned when they bite, they almost always bite their own ass, so they responsibly manage it. Some have not learned so they lash out at every opportunity.

Hey, it's a self curing problem. If they fling the crap around enough, people stop playing with them and the flinger has to move the rant elsewhere, or as a last resort, the moderators move them on. Bottom line: Blow it off and press on. L T S . . . life's too short; why spend it ranting. If a newb is taken in and crushed by a flaming, then perhaps they have their own dragon to deal with.

Just my lower left corner of the big picture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he wanted to yell at me for something I said, </div></div>

Spin Drift?
grin.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The quality of the posters, the manner in which the questions are asked definitely sway the response.

People seem to think we are being harsh, but a lot of new people are quick to post political commentary which we have to chase down, I mean, I banned a guy last week and he completely attacked me via email with the caveat, "so I missed two small rules" and torn me up. Do I care, no but the fact is, he didn't break 1, he admittedly broke two of the rules and was mad I banned him.

Most people tend to take being banned emotionally, usually I don't even remember your Screen name 5 minutes after banning someone and my bans are generally 3 to 10 days... Still they come back pissed, and then start to cause a problem in every thread waiting for you to do it again. Same thing with this last week, the fact I warned the poster once a month ago, <span style="color: #FF0000"> he automatically believes I don't like him</span> so anything said is done with that in mind. Most people only see 1/4 of the story, we tend to see a bigger picture.

We get it and we don't like taking our time out to enforce the rules, it's the worst part of what we do... but when we see patterns and react off them to head off the problem, people get mad. Trust me everyone thinks they are unique and their story is different enough to warrant special consideration.

Do we have bad days and good days, sure, but we also have to look at a lot of things we don't want to every day. This is why some sites have 100s of moderators, to keep it from weighing down the staff. And believe me, being a mod is a thankless job.

All this said, the site rules are being modified simply to account for the people who don't quite understand them so we have to spell them out in greater detail. Also I am looking into the welcome email part, and I may try to put something up for new members. But it's up to 'older" or slightly older members to work to help too. Not quoting spam, having to chase quotes is a pain, not baiting and pushing, and letting issues die. This community is only as good as it's members, while the staff helps move things along, we do not set the pace, you all do. And I hate to remind people this is not a Free Speech Zone, it's a privately owned business, we don't allow you to say just anything you like, and you have no rights to such. Sure you can say it, but there is no guarantee we'll keep you or what you said around.

After 10 years. this happens with every growth spurt, the FB promotion brought a new crop of people who think in s slightly different way. So that is to be expected and must be understood ahead of time. Once you figure that out, the rest is easy.

Ebbs and Flows... </div></div>

I knew it...sniff sniff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^^^SUCKASS^^^ </div></div>

No, we don't haze each other around here!!!
laugh.gif

I could be wrong...but im pretty sure LL just hazed himself.
laugh.gif

For the most part, the people who stick around don't take this shit to seriously, it is just the internet after all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could be wrong...but im pretty sure LL just hazed himself.
laugh.gif

For the most part, the people who stick around don't take this shit to seriously, <span style="font-weight: bold">it is just the internet after all</span>. </div></div>

Blasphemy!

rcvl36.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is my avatar hazing? </div></div>
Not if it's true!
grin.gif

New member here, i have to say that you all seem like stand up guys..... when do i get hazed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crkone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New member here, i have to say that you all seem like stand up guys..... when do i get hazed?</div></div>

meet us on the 9th Green at 9 o'clock...wear something nice

As a newcomer to contributing to this site, it's funny to see the differences from other sites.

My first thread i created did not go anything according to plan. In fact it just about turned me away from the site. But the more I read about the members and the more I understood, it made sense eventually.

There is a certain amount of hazing involved with new members. I see it as needed and a good thing. There needs to be a certain amount of thick skin involved with internet forums. There is no sarcastic font, nor can you hear the inflection of peoples voices.

However, beyond the hazing you'll find a certain style of professionalism. There are those you soon find you can just trust without research. Then there are those you cannot. To each his own who you respect and trust, but on this sites you can generally decipher this within a small amount of time.

I look forward to being a member of this site and eventually finding a place to contribute and share some knowledge.

- Brandon

ok my .02 worth. I lurked for more than a year before actually signing up. I learned a LOT, and mever really felt the need to ask any questions. I read pretty much all I needed, used the search engine, and that pretty much was all I needed. Once I signed up, I was just rarin to post, but again it's all pretty much out there if you look.

There is such a thing as a stupid question, and there are ignorant people. If they get angry because the frivolity of their question was pointed out, I'm sorry but thats the breaks. The dog pile, well that did get out of hand.

I'm going back to reading now. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful information with me for free..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean Hagerty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why should we haze newbs? <span style="font-weight: bold">All they want is info.</span> Lets help them out instead of giving them a rough way to go.</div></div>

Yep. All they want is info. Instantaneously. In many cases, they come in with preconceived notions derived from armchair experience that they spout as gospel truth, right or wrong, and don't want to, or don't think to search the forums, and then expect to be spoon-fed what it took some of us multiple decades to acquire. I don't mind fielding questions, but not when folks barge in to places like the SB like this is the homework help line. </div></div>

You act as though you own this place. I don't know if you noticed but all the advertisements here are to generate revenue. I doubt the owner wants all the new members ran off. This is his or her show and I think civility is a good rule.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Ray Ray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You act as though you own this place. I don't know if you noticed but all the advertisements here are to generate revenue. I doubt the owner wants all the new members ran off. This is his or her show and I think civility is a good rule. </div></div>

129156451865594444.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
129156451865594444.jpg
</div></div>

You may not have noticed stan but I have actually been a member here longer than you have. I think if you compare our post count you'll realize that this website is not a priority in my life. We are polar opposites. You are a self proclaimed<span style="font-size: 8pt"> (in the battle rifle thread)</span> armchair sniper. I on the other hand leave the house everyday and find time to actually compete a couple times a month.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if Dave Tubb or Grant Singley joined today? Would they be newbies? Who gives a crap what your join date is or how many posts you have. That means nothing. </div></div>

You talkin about this David Tubb... Linky...
grin.gif
</div></div>

He's a newbie...only 104 posts!

Pussies. How 'bout a big group hug?

Seriously though, I generally only get bitchy after someone is snotty with me, except for that asshat with the M14 chassis abortion. Sorry if I've been a bad girl, but its who I am.
grin.gif

BTW LowLight, Why can't I have my purple name?
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if Dave Tubb or Grant Singley joined today? Would they be newbies? Who gives a crap what your join date is or how many posts you have. That means nothing. </div></div>

You talkin about this David Tubb... Linky...
grin.gif
</div></div>

He's a newbie...only 104 posts! </div></div>

Who Registered on: 11/06/04 ... He's just shy....