• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ITAR problem selling muzzle brake to member in foreign nation

ronas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
Charleston, South Carolina
I was ready to do a deal with a member in a foreign nation. Then I thought what about ITAR. So I did a little research and concluded I could not sell it to him for the reasons outlined below. It sounds like ITAR restricts a lot of stuff. Now if I was a registered exporter which probably would require me to fill out volumes of paperwork then maybe I could.

I did not even think to check to see if the brake I was going to sell is permitted to be imported to the member's country. There may restrictions place upon me by that country regarding exporting an item to that country.

What appears below is what I concluded:
"It is illegal for me to export the Sako muzzle brake. Pursuant to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations commonly referred as ITAR, under 22CFR Part 121, Category I (e)..".silencers, mufflers, sound and flash suppressors..." and as such are export controlled.

If I tried to argue that the last quoted paragraph doesn't specifically say "brakes and compensators"...if (e) doesn't cover them, (h) will, as "components, parts, accessories, and attachments...".

Have others ran into this brick wall too? It seems clear to me that a good number of people may not be aware of the pitfalls and liability of shipping firearm parts overseas.

If there is even 1% doubt, walk away. The fed is not your friend, even if you are right-they'll claim to be "more right", the time-trouble and possible problems with the fed are not worth it. Let someone with experience sell the brake, I'd hate to hear about you getting in some kind of hot water over something as simple as this.

Yeah, ITARd is a bunch of bullshit, it's far too comprehensive. Basically, anything military related at all is ITAR shit these days, and the license is what, $2500? You have to have it just to have an FFL if I'm not mistaken (watch some FFL come in here and just mop the floor with that). But I looked into it once, getting an FFL, and that was some new shit not in there where I looked the first time years ago.

Other ITARd items are: night vision gear over gen 1, even the mounts, IR lasers, lights, body armor higher than lvl.2(A?) police armor, the little IR tags on ACU's, and pretty much all of it.

If he can't find a business to deal with him, he may be better off visiting for vacation, buying it then and just carrying it back. If it's legal, he should be able to just put it in his luggage.

ITAR goes well beyond anything military related: a 700 BDL used wooden stock has fallen under "their" care & attention during the shipping from U.S. to Italy, and confiscated in the States by U.S. Custom _ (In Italy stocks aren't regulated/prohibited items,of course)_that's happened one month ago: I was lucky enough to have my money refunded by the stand-up guy from the other side of the ocean, but for sure neither of us were happy_

Don't try_

(when I've asked to TRIAD, they answered that I can't buy some QR sling hardware from them: for the same reason,or something related, I suppose)

Last edited:
SAKO items are under BERETTA , in Italy for sure, therefore here you can't have a certified gunsmith legally rebarreling your Sako rifle, and NEVER with some barrel of your choice_ If needed, your Sako will be sended to Beretta to be rebarreled with the same (new) Sako OEM barrel_

Last edited:
ITARS regulated items ARE NOT strictly gun related items, it goes more in depth than that. Comms gear is another example of an ITARS regulated item. A HGU-55 pilots helmet is not ITARS controlled and can be sold and shipped no problem,UNTIL you put speakers in the ear cups and then it becomes a regulated item. Repair parts, instructional and technical manuals, training,even relaying information via spoken word or email or via pictures of of an ITARs controlled item can be a violation. If you work for the company that makes widgets and they are ITARs controlled and you take your laptop with you overseas on business and it has information/manuals/tech data on the widgets and you didn't get prior authorization, you are in violations of ITARs, even if you didn't show it to anyone during your trip or open the file up. Likewise, if you have a foreign customer who wants to tour your widget factory during your open house event, you have to go through the proper authorizations through DoS to get the go ahead, otherwise you are in violation. Certain electronics and electronic components are ITARs controlled. Anyone remember when a certain Video game console was forbidden to be exported to certain countries because it had an advanced chip in them that wasn't avaialble to certain countries and could be cannabalized for use in military items?

The point being ITARs is not just about guns and gun parts/components and obvious military items as most think, it goes way beyond that despite what the name implies.

Last edited:
The Hide member who wants to buy my muzzle brake just seems to think because he's imported suppressors before that that ITAR does not apply to a muzzle. He is wrong. I understand his dismay at not being able to buy this item from me. I've lost a sale, so I'm not happy about that. But I happy that I made the right decision.

I referred him to www.opticauthority.com which is sister company of Euroopics. I believe optical authority is licensed to export ITAR items.

I also sent him link to this thread to read as I think it is education and contains information a lot of folks are not aware of.

Hopefully they can help him; although it may be at great expense.

Last edited: