• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Ithaca 37

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I found a "light" version in a pawnshop. Any of you have experiences with them concerning reliability, durability, etc.?

Thank you,

David

Re: Ithaca 37

That model Ithaca has been around for years. The only real drawback is, that they feed and eject from the bottom. This can sometimes cause problems.

They are a very dependable shotgun. But the one I shot was also the hardest kicking 12 guage I've ever shot. I believe there was a fault in the butt stock on that particular shotgun. I've spoken to several other people that have shot them. They agree it must have been just that particular shotgun.

I bought one in bad used and rusted condition. Had it refinished in cera coat black, darkened the wood furniture, and installed custom sights. (since the factory sights were damaged) Had no problems with mine. Like it very much!

I have had one for over 30 years and it has never failed me. Don't shoot it much any more, but it did kick pretty good as I recall. The bottom load/eject was always a plus to me.

Started out as a kid dove hunting with one.Love it .Hold the trigger down and pump it and it shoots.Don't have to squeeze the trigger each time.Brings back fun times.

Thanks for the input.

I like the idea of the bottom eject. The lefties in my area used these when I was a kid. Of course, the rest of the dove/quail arms were 1100s.

Great little Gun, Very dependable but yeah the bottom ejection might be the only drawback. Does it have a raised rib on the barrel?

One thing to remember is if you plan on changing barrels on a 37 you may need to have it timed. Unlike a Rem 870 or others you can't simply swap barrels. Every once in a while you may get lucky. Just thought you might like to know this.

my very first gun was a 16 gauge featherlight!
left it in the trunk after pheasant hunting one night and it rusted up pretty good.

Ithaca 37's changed barrel threads at some point in their life. I do not remember the date.As long as the barrel is the same treads as the action they do not need to be timed. This is also the first time I have heard of bottom ejection refered to as a problem. It was advertised as a good feature making the shotgun more reliable in wet or dirty conditions!