• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Itouch Alternative?

Pete E

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2004
North Wales, UK
What other alternatives are there to the Itouch for running something like FTE in the field?

I looked in a local store today and saw several Itouch type devices that wee considerably cheaper than the original while offer similar memory and this got me think what the alternatives are?

Re: Itouch Alternative?

If you want to run FTE then you are going to have to use a touch or an iPhone....

You might want to look on ebay for a Gen1 or Gen2 iphone.... That will work fine

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Dude, come on! You can get a iTouch fairly cheap on eGay.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to run FTE then you are going to have to use a touch or an iPhone....

You might want to look on ebay for a Gen1 or Gen2 iphone.... That will work fine
</div></div>

Cheers for that... Gen 1, 2 or 3 was going to be my next question, as I have no idea what the differences are and what they mean when it comes to running FTE..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch </div></div>
Or Llanfair PG if your a local!
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, come on! You can get a iTouch fairly cheap on eGay. </div></div>

Will probably go that route, but just interested if there were any other alternatives..

The people I know that have the iPod Touch say it can stay on for about 4-5 hours, if you are watching movies. If you turn it on, calculate, and turn it off until your next calculation, the battery could last for at least a couple of days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armed Ferret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what the hell is an iTouch? </div></div>

Its an Iphone without the phone part...Its sold as an Ipod type device for listening to music ect, but it will run the same Apps as the Iphone so you can put balistic software on it ect..

As it lacks the phone, its about 1/3 to 1/2 the price of an Iphone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Armed Ferret</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what the hell is an iTouch? </div></div>

This is not the first time I've heard the iPod Touch referred to as an iTouch.

But yeah, you can get a used first or second generation one for cheap. My girlfriend's dad actually managed to snag the latest generation one (8gb) for $100 from a lady who received it as a gift from her kids (incongruously loaded by the same yuppie kids with hip-hop and R&B, no less) and didn't know what the heck to do with the new fangled device.

With my iPhone and Ballistic FTE, I no longer bother to print up dope cards. I guess if I was competing or shot for living I might, but for casual/range use it's great.

You also have the option of the Droid (is a phone too) with the free Shooter Ballistic App available.... More expensive right now though... There is one in the FS Forum for $300.....

I use Bulletflight on my iPhone and I love it,. But it's the full version so my wallet took a slight beating when I purchased the app. It is the best $$ I ever spent on my phone though.

I have both Ballistics FTE and Bullet Flight L2. They are cool if you want to input custom load info. They are best for getting on paper at distance and then adjusting BC's and muzzle velocity to match your data as a lot of people suggest here.

I don't like writing a bunch of dope on paper except for elevation changes. You can feel out the wind and hold over or guestimate and get used to your bullet.

I spent a bunch of money on both of them and they are cool to compare data for different loads, but largely annoying if you just want your data chart. At least 4 taps for each program. I am kinda a user interface Nazi though, just like Steve Jobs.

Hi Pete,

I have FTE on my Iphone and it is good but I still much prefer load base on a windows mobile device.

If we can get together I can let you have a play with both.

regards

Ewen

Ewen,

That would be good...I am up in North Wales, but stalk in Thetford so Northampton is not too far off route..

If you PM your telephone number I'll give you a call and we can sort something out..

Regards,

Peter