• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I've been SCARed for life....

M@D-M@X

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    Just got this new 17S and can't wait to try her out....

e5135a9b.jpg

35fa0590.jpg

SCAR1.jpg

SCAR.jpg

SCAR2.jpg

Re: I've been SCARed for life....

Sweet looking to do the same. Liking the black more and more have the 16s in tan. Also, think the black would go better with my FNP 45 tact in black as well.

Very Nice

How heavy does it run? Also out of curiosity, are they still priced at 2500+?

Thx guys.
    Actually it is surprisingly light, just under 8lbs (empty) to be exact. It is amazing how light the recoil is on this piece even though is light and launches .30 cal projectiles.

The EOTech setup works nice but it adds a bit of weight to it thus canceling out one of it's tributes and it tends to get in the way of the charging handle, no matter which side you place the handle.
    An angle unit (handle) would probably improve it's function.
    I'm planing on installing a 1-4X or a 1-6X red dot tube. A Spectre DR would be ideal but the price is more than the rifle itself.

Check out the luppy MR/T scopes with TMR ret. That is what I will be mounting on one when I get it as well as my M1 Scout.

Congrats! Looks deadly and efficient. When I got my Steyr AUG years ago I thought it was Star Wars cool. That SCAR looks very, VERY serious.

Friday evening I actually got to handle a SCAR - I had to check one out after I saw (and posted) this thread earlier.

I have a couple of SCARS. They are the best rifles I've ever handled.

SCAR_Color_Comparison_001.jpg

SCAR_17.jpg

I finally got a chance to handle a 16s 2 weeks ago and was surprised to find that it had play EVERYWHERE!! Didn't feel like a 2k+ rifle should feel (imho of course)

I bought a SCAR 17s some months ago because I heard the accuracy was great right out of the box and I had been looking for a Semi-auto in .308 that was accurate and not an AR style. I've been through several Supermatch M1A's and wanted something different. The accuracy was definitely great but the construction of the rifle was really cheap IMO. The lower is plastic, the BCG seems to just be a slab of steel with an AR bolt in it and the upper was unremarkable. Don't get me wrong... It worked fantastically and I really liked it. But once the Tacticool factor wore off I just couldn't justify the amount of money I had spent on it. I sold it and bought another bolt gun because I can see it being a $1000 retail gun once the newness wears off. I'll wait for that and probably buy another.

I personally didn't like the feel of the SCAR either, but I like my AR15 a lot so I'm biased.

99.9% of the SCAR haters root cause is sticker shock. Nothing to do with function, performance or expectation... Sorry, but there it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pulled the PWS MB off [obnoxious loud!] and setup a </div></div> I did the exact same thing. That is one loud obnoxious beast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 101ABN327</div><div class="ubbcode-body">99.9% of the SCAR haters root cause is sticker shock. Nothing to do with function, performance or expectation... Sorry, but there it is.

101 </div></div>
    ABSOLUTELY! No argument there. But why would you pay twice the money for no appreciable gain? And please don't use the Ferrari vs. Yugo comparison. The SCAR is a Battle rifle... To be compared to other Battle rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: was21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pulled the PWS MB off [obnoxious loud!] and setup a </div></div> I did the exact same thing. That is one loud obnoxious beast. </div></div>

That ain't no shit. I put a Troy Claymore on my 17, and it's much more pleasant to shoot. That fuckin' PWS was like having icepicks jammed in my ears, even with plugs in.

Optics have been known to die on the SCAR because of the sharp recoil characteristics. I'd get something more durable than the EOTech or at least a "hardened" model. I want to pick up a 17S if prices come down and magazines become more available and cheaper.

Twice as much? No appreciable gain? I think MOST issues surrounding the price of any rifle is percieved value. Either you see the value or you dont. Either your willing to pay what a manufacturere is asking and clearly getting or your not. Aside from that my SCAR and my AR were within a couple hundred bucks of each other.... Will a guy that shoots 500 rounds a year see an appreciable gain? Likely not. What I can tell you is this. I got my SCAR and liked it but was shooting NO WHERE near as fast and as accuratly as my AR's. I have many times over more time on AR's than my SCAR. However, and rather out of the blue, while doing some comparisons of various optics and rifles, all of a sudden my times and accuracy of my SCAR started to leap foward of my AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 101ABN327</div><div class="ubbcode-body">99.9% of the SCAR haters root cause is sticker shock. Nothing to do with function, performance or expectation... Sorry, but there it is.

101 </div></div>
    ABSOLUTELY! No argument there. But why would you pay twice the money for no appreciable gain? And please don't use the Ferrari vs. Yugo comparison. The SCAR is a Battle rifle... To be compared to other Battle rifles. </div></div>

"NO appreciable gain"?????

I'm guessing this is another who has not worked with one (or any]

I've shot/owned several others...FALs for30 years , Galil 308 for 25 years, G3's for the same.... and in my limited experience have found the SCAR to exceed them all.
    For Accuracy /weight/reliability/recoil/ sight and scope capabilities combo the SCAR is far ahead IMO...only negative that I see is the price (and I'm already forgetting that!]

Guess I need to read more and shoot less ! Ha!

FWIW

Yes! No appreciable gain... It goes bang. It puts rounds where you aim it. Out of a battle rifle, what else is there? If weight, recoil and scope capabilities make a difference to you... Well, I'd rather not go there.

Oh, and yes... I've owned one, and probably most of the other battle rifles of the last century... that are semi-auto. And I have shot quite a few of the full-auto ones too.

Might as well shoot only flintlock muskets then. They go bang and put rounds where you aim them. What else is there? If magazines, autoloading and rifling make a difference to you... Well, I'd rather not go there.

I guess a 10-20% weight reduction (means I can carry more ammo or water]... 1.5-2X accuracy gains... option to scope [to make use of the increased accuracy] isn't 'appreciable' to some , but to those that can make use of these capabilities they come in handy.

I still believe strongly in the saying "it aint the arrows , it's the indian" , but why handicap your indian?

A model T will get you there ... eventually ! HA!

....and they call me a dinosaur!

I mounted SS 1-4 FFP HD on mine and I love it. I run it as a dot for close up and the glass is good enough to stretch it out farther if you want. I have only got it out to 700 yards though.

Sorry for a late post.... I have a question for scar owners and possible POF owners as well. I am looking into getting a scar 17 for my self but the only downside to it seems to be the mags and availability of parts, my next option is a POF recon in all black about 500 dollars cheaper. Now ive read a lot of mixed feelings from POF owners and would like to find out if the Jam issues still continue and if the POF or the scar are worth it ? I usually go to the range and shoot, not a weekend warrior or couch commando either but would like to keep a gun that is easy to maintain and also fun to shoot and reliable( most important). Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Also my wife would be shooting this gun too she likes both the scar and the POF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes! No appreciable gain... It goes bang. It puts rounds where you aim it. Out of a battle rifle, what else is there? If weight, recoil and scope capabilities make a difference to you... Well, I'd rather not go there.

Oh, and yes... I've owned one, and probably most of the other battle rifles of the last century... that are semi-auto. And I have shot quite a few of the full-auto ones too. </div></div>

How much battling do you do on a daily basis?