• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Izhmash Biathlon Rifle Experience Anyone?

Cartman

Bird Dogging Expert
Minuteman
May 5, 2007
NunYo SoCal
Looking for a 22 rifle to execute my "final solution" ground squirrel holocaust and thought about getting double-duty gun that could be used for tactical games.

The Anschutz biathlon gun looks like it would be a great one, but too pricey for screwing around with (looks like the cheaper standard 64 action is sold in Canada, not here).

Found this much cheaper Russian gun that sounds promising but not sure if it is made for high-accuracy or just good-enough accuracy for punching out biathlon targets. Is anyone familiar with these guns and can they shoot with minute of squirrel eye accuracy?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Izhmash Biathlon Rifle Experience Anyone?

I have one and it is one of the rifles I have the most fun shooting. The action is very fast to cycle & it is way more accurate than I was expecting. I have tried many different kinds of ammo to find the "right" one. Much to my surprise it shoots the cheap stuff much better than the expensive stuff. I had the best results with Federal Blue box 510. Based on my experience I would highly recommend one.

If the CM-2 splits hairs (I can vouch for that), I believe the Biathlon should do it too.
Isn't a Biathlon rifle overkill for squirrels?
Also, are you talking about the Biathlon Basic, or the real thing?

My rifle

The targets
5 rnds @ 25yds Wolf(peep sight)

25rnds @ 50yds,CCI Std Vel(scoped/indoors)

Love this rifle.
Trigger is awesome and the ergonomics are great!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My rifle

The targets
5 rnds @ 25yds Wolf(peep sight)

25rnds @ 50yds,CCI Std Vel(scoped/indoors)

Love this rifle.
Trigger is awesome and the ergonomics are great! </div></div>

Funny thing is I pulled up the pic of the rifle and a "related" pic of one of our much missed ladies poped up.

Would love to hear more about the rifle.

The real deal 7-4 model is the one I'm looking at.

Overkill? No such thing. Would want it for rimfire tactical games as well.

I was unsure about the accuracy because while they are supposed to be made with an Anschutz barrel the test targets they come with are not that impressive -- around one inch groups. Looks like the test target is not really shot for accuracy then as the one hole above would attest to.

Looks like I'll be getting one. Thanks and it is good to know I'm not the first or only one to think this rifle could have uses other than biathlons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here they are, @ MT Guns
</div></div>

Saw the pricing and choked

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here they are, @ MT Guns
</div></div>

Saw the pricing and choked
</div></div>

The equivalent Anschutz is about $3,400 -- having choked on that one first the Izhmash was a lot easier to digest.

The targets provided with the rifle shows a group at +20C and at -20C.
I can post it when I get home.

Relevent since it is supposed to be shot in winter.

In regards to my rifle, not much to say. No modes except for the scope rail and bipod stud installed by a friend of mine.

Original configuration

The trigger is adjustable and I`m at about 6 ounces.
I bought the rifle for 2 reasons.

1- Ergonomices
2- Falken action

The accuracy with pretty much any quality ammo was a bonus.

Shot it last weekend at 100yds with Mini Mags, all under an inch.
No pics at this time

PS: was curious about the lady comment.
I was pleasently surprise to see Amber in the thumbnails.
Wish owning the 7-4 was helpful in meeting such fine women...
wink.gif

Is there a forend rail on it like on an Anschutz that makes installing a bipod easier?

Just to confirm, has your accuracy experience topped the test target or does your test target have a one-hole group?

The gun I'm looking at has a test target that shows a group of about an inch -- definitely separate holes anyway. Not sure what distance the test target was shot at either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wink.gif
</div></div>

That would be the lady. Miss seeing her smile

There is a rail for the palm rest and my targets are way tighter than the one provided with the rifle.

You guys and your Tactical black barrels, lol.
Mine's an "A", Anschutz barrel.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
3711907492_0ee17a8574.jpg

3711903138_001faf1f63.jpg

And first day out w/ it after sighting it in @ 50yards.Off sand bags,3 shots within roughly 10-12 seconds using steel sights.
Keep in mind the sight are designed to hit a metal target @ 50 yards, not for tight grouping. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics
[color:"Red"]<span style="font-weight: bold">*I claim none of it as skill, all luck.* </span>[/color]
40GR Federal Champions (NOT Match Grade)
3719119020_7d91250cf6.jpg

3719119550_b1afa37fe0.jpg
</div></div>

One more thing that i found out after using the rifle.
When the mag is out, the firing pin is disconnected.

A nice touch for such a rifle..

I've actually been very interested in these.....

I wanted a 7-4 or 7-3 barreled action to drop into a different stock (McM Annie Silhouette was the intentions). Seemed like the ultimate tweety bird rifle to me.

Unfortunately it didn't/hasn't panned out yet. The rifles are expensive, and never turn up on the used market from what I can find. Even trying to buy a barreled action (which I could find) was almost as expensive as the whole rifle.

That sucks, but nothing good is ever really cheap. I'm cool with that. Second problem is finding a stock. That action is super-deep. It's huge. From the inletting prints I got off a guy, I couldn't find a stock that would really work well. All come up considerably short in the belly. It would likely be at the very least a semi-custom setup that would require a fair bit of hacking. Supposedly MT is making a stock for them, but it's approaching vaporware status from what I can tell.

A bummer... because I really wanted this project to work. I think it would be a really trick setup....

Why do you want another stock?

I have never seen a used one available and will never sell mine.
A Anschutz is way more expensive.

My perception on the Russian industry is that, when they make a product, they believe there is nothing to upgrade or modify.

Something very different compared to the US market, where a customer can get exactly what he wants.

I adore the ergos of the Annie silhouette pattern, and find them most flexible.

To be fair, I haven't tried the as issued stock. It might be great. When I conjured up this idea in my head I wanted that stock in particular because I like it so much and think it would meld nicely with the platform.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ssgp2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
wink.gif
</div></div>

That would be the lady. Miss seeing her smile </div></div>

I think we all miss her smiling face....

I use the basic biathlon, plain as hell, but once you shoot it you don't want to put it down. It is not nearly as nice looking as their high end models. I think they are around $400

i saw a bi basic in a local gun shop for AUS $1000....should have bought it there and then... cameback a week later to put down a deposit... it was gone.

now ill never see one again im guessing...

jimi