• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Izhmash Russian Dragunov Tiger rifles

goober

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Auckland , New Zealand
Does anyone shoot one of these rifles , especially want to know if your a left hander using the standard pso 1 scope . I am thinking of getting one of these , I dont know why but they kinda interesting looking even if they shoot between 1-3 moa or less

Re: Izhmash Russian Dragunov Tiger rifles

Ive seen that thread but it isn't really relevant -the PSL is a long AK and nothing can swap over with the DRAG SVD or Tiger -well the optics I suppose .

I have seen/shoot couple of Tiger. 2-3moa was all i could get out of them.

Some peopol say that they can shoot 1moa or less but i have never seen Tiger that shoot that well.

I would not buy one. For the money you pay you could get much better rifle.

While the PSL-54 and Tiger type rifles are different in some respects, the pros and cons are pretty similar.

I have shot two different Tigers and several different PSL-54C rifles and the accuracy is what I would deem acceptable for a "battle rifle" but not for a precision, DM, or "sniper" rifle (at least at longer ranges). Both platforms, on a good day, will get 2-3MOA (maybe slightly better, but not MOA or better). I have seen the same claims from folks that KingKong mentioned about sub-MOA accuracy, but never any hard evidence of it and certainly not in my presence or with me behind any of the rifles.

I know very little about any type of gun laws or restrictions in New Zealand or what you can and can't own or obtain, but if you want a semi-auto precision rifle, there are commercially available rifles that will achieve MOA or better accuracy out of the box with less financial investment.

A buddy of mine is a zealander (has a sheep farm in the boonies) with an svd. He uses factory hunting ammo in it and has sent me pictures of some pretty good groups. His came from a gun store in invircargill I think.

Lefty? The scope orientation would probably get to you but maybe not. Find one in a gun store and play around with it.

Factory specs for SVD are about 2 MOA if memory serves me. Would expect PSL to be in the same ballpark.

I can get a Tiger no scope for 2k nz from a fellow Hide member and am thinking it through .I guess for this rifle its not all about the tightest groups but having an interesting foreign rifle -although I am considering how interesting it will be after a few weeks of super sized groups.

You may be able to improve (somewhat) on the standard 2MOA or so accuracy that the Tigr affords most shooters if you reload. That would allow you to tailor your ammo specifically to your rifle and the kind of shooting you plan on doing. Again...don't expect MOA or better accuracy, but you will likely see a modest accuracy improvement over surplus ammo and some commercially manufactured ammo choices by reloading.

The "lefty" issue is a tough one though depending on how the rifle you are looking at is configured. The thumbhole stocks on the Tigr's are biased for right-handed shooters so if it has one...you'll likely need to modify the stock somewhat to get it to fit you comfortably/properly for you. There are aftermarket stocks available, including "sporting" stocks that are ambidextrous, but most all of them are designed for righty shooters because of the scope/mount issues.

Same goes for the scope and mount. The standard scope and mount that came with the Tigr/Drag. clone rifles mount off to the left side of the receiver. I can tell you now that it is going to be a real pain in the neck (pun intended) for you, if not impossible if you don't plan on shooting right handed. The only solution is to find an aftermarket mount that will afford you a mount that places your optic at 12 o'clock directly over the receiver, in line with the barrel, instead of offset to the left of the receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get a Tiger no scope for 2k nz from a fellow Hide member and am thinking it through .I guess for this rifle its not all about the tightest groups but having an interesting foreign rifle -although I am considering how interesting it will be after a few weeks of super sized groups. </div></div>

My buddy got his for what was like 2500? kiwi dollars with a 4x scope new. 2k is probably a fair price if he has extra magazines etc. As far as a scope goes they are cheap here in the US 100$ for a PSL IOR scope, 150-180$ for a brand new belarus scope. If I could buy one I would, but then the SVD is one of the very few rifles that you CAN'T get here in the US(unless you pay out the ass) because they are no longer imported.

Edit: he has sent me pics of 3cm groups @ 100 and says it likes heavier ammo.

My friend had a Russian Tiger and was shooting sub 1/2 moa. Essentially one ragged hole. Blew my mind that the rifle could shoot that good.

I have an NDM 86 SVD an nhave never hot MOA groups with many different handload I have tried using SMK's and various powders. I regularly shoot 1/2" or less goups with my TRG 22 by comparison. Buy it for the fun factor not for group size.