• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Izmash Tigr

goober

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Auckland , New Zealand
I recently purchased 308 Izmash Tigr -wonderful looking weapon with the slide on side mounted scope -keeps me fascinated like a young boy but boy does it shoot crap. I have read many times people saying their guns shoot .5 or .8 moa but mine you'd have to swap the full stop in from front of the numbers to the back if ya know what I mean .Id box test to check the scope but the projectiles appear to land in a general box shape even with out moving the scope -first left corner then the next into the right corner and then down below the aim point .I have decided these rifles are probably around a 4 moa rifle or more even thou some have had luck with their own rifles .One cannot say a rifle make is such in so an MOA rifle unless they all consistently do that MOA -not just a wonderful few .
From zeroing I did go to 400 yards and smack a 8x 8 steel 2nd shot but then peppered around it -if it was a war time situation the guy I was shooting at would not hold water on either side of his body but his center mass still would have .
Gotta say thou I still really dig this battle rifle and will keep it .Does anyone know any tricks to getting better accuracy from these things -I do hand load 43.5gr 2208adi 155gr smk .

Re: Izmash Tigr

truth is Pat I also used a sightron 10x 50 x60 on a slide rail and hand loads -do you use a tigr or have experiance with them ?

no, went with the FN L1A1 and then to a DPMS 308 (still love the looks and reliability of the Draganov) (but i do have a Mosin)

just wanted to offer up the easy basic questions first.

First off I have a PSL in 54r, I know its not the same as the Tigr. I have a Nikon 6469 on mine and its lovely. The base I have mounts to the side rail holds the scope centered with the bore and tightens with allen bolts I can't tell you what brand it is it came with my PSL. It has also had a trigger job, that's a massive improvement. Its a stock trigger just polished, the top of the hammer is also re worked so the action slides smooth.

I noticed that mine doesn't stabilize any bullets over 150 gr, try the nosler ballistic tips 150 gr with 42 gr tac, it work fantastic in mine.
hope this helps.

I wonder if anyone has tried to put a custom barrel into one of these .I have no experiance with improving accuracy of semi autos so other than good hand loads and a new barrel Im unsure what else one does -trigger I suppose but I dont think you can fit a different trigger groupo into these .

to improve accuracy of those thin barreled piston cycling tigr, it is especially important to NOT put a bipod on the barrel and when shooting from a rest, to put it as close to the receiver as possible. I use a soft rest, like a range bag and push the rifle mag against the bag, that way very little pushes on the handgards which are not free float. Any tension/pressure on the HG will affect accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if anyone has tried to put a custom barrel into one of these .I have no experiance with improving accuracy of semi autos so other than good hand loads and a new barrel Im unsure what else one does -trigger I suppose but I dont think you can fit a different trigger groupo into these . </div></div>

I have seen one with a browning 1919 barrel fitted to it, it was interesting looking. If it wasn't bubbed on there it would a been a good looking weapon.

As for the trigger, you don't replace it you just polish the factory parts so they break cleaner. Basically just stone the contact surfaces. Most gunsmiths I know do this for 60 to 100 bucks.

Krebs did a wonderful job installing a krieger barrel and some custom work to David Fortiers chinese dragunov.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if anyone has tried to put a custom barrel into one of these .I have no experiance with improving accuracy of semi autos so other than good hand loads and a new barrel Im unsure what else one does -trigger I suppose but I dont think you can fit a different trigger groupo into these . </div></div>