• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

J Allen Vs Masterpiece Arms (Opinions Needed)

chris514scott

New to the sport and anxious to learn
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2009
Oklahoma
Ok guys I have been dead set on getting a JAE stock for my Mausingfield 6.5 build. I've decided I want to get a Vudoo to build as a trainer so I can practice in my back yard. Needless to say now I'm going to need two stocks. Now I'm asking myself if I really want to spend almost $4k on stocks when I can get two MPA's for the price of one JAE. I know both are nice. I just want peoples opinions on why one would go JAE of MPA. Thanks for your time guys.

If your heart is set on a JAE I doubt you will be happy with anything else, at least for your main rifle.

JAE's are very nice and I personally like them over mpa, but everyone is different.

Given your example above, just buy 1 chassis and swap back and forth.

I've got a J Allen I'll be posting for sale here shortly if you want to save over buying new. PM me if interested.

Personally, I don’t get the appeal of the J Allen, they look like overpriced Gucci to me and that swept back grip seems like it belongs on a hunting rifle. The MPA on the other hand looks like a well thought out chassis with a function over form mentality behind it. But then I’ve never owned either one so what would I know.

I have both, so I'll kick in my two cents worth.

They're completely different. Completely different feel, completely different grip, and completely different heft.

IMHO, it depends on what you want to do with it. To me, the JAE is the stock I'd have for hunting or if I spent long hours on glass, or shot mostly from the prone or fixed position. It is just so comfortable in the prone (you could fall asleep on it easily), or off a tripod. The fit and finish is top of the line. If you're OCD about stuff, the JAE is your deal. Mine is a very early version, so it is much heavier than the newer versions, and thus I can't really comment about weight (though mine is fairly heavy). I know they shaved some weight off of it in the current version.

We're I to focus on just a comp PRS/NRL gun as it's intended use, than I think the MPA would be my choice. Very light, vertical grip with thumb shelf, integral ACRA dovetail, and tons of places to hang stuff from. A very nimble stock when having to transition between props and shooting windows.

Bottom line: You need to get behind each one to decide if the extra cost of the JAE is worth it to you. I kind of have to shake my head at what JAE stocks go for today (though worth every penny I'm sure). But then again, I put down a deposit back when it was just a prototype, had it's own proprietary magazine, and waited almost four years. It's one of the stocks I know I'll keep until it gets passed down, after I die. The MPA on the other hand, I consider a tool, and have no issues with beating the shit out of it.

Last edited:

They're completely different. Completely different feel, completely different grip, and completely different heft.

IMHO, it depends on what you want to do with it. To me, the JAE is the stock I'd have for hunting or if I spent long hours on glass, or shot mostly from the prone or fixed position. It is just so comfortable in the prone (you could fall asleep on it easily), or off a tripod. The fit and finish is top of the line. If you're OCD about stuff, the JAE is your deal. Mine is a very early version, so it is much heavier than the newer versions, and thus I can't really comment about weight (though mine is fairly heavy). I know they shaved some weight off of it in the current version.

We're I to focus on just a comp PRS/NRL gun as it's intended use, than I think the MPA would be my choice. Very light, vertical grip with thumb shelf, integral ACRA dovetail, and tons of places to hang stuff from. A very nimble stock when having to transition between props and shooting windows.

Bottom line: You need to get behind each one to decide if the extra cost of the JAE is worth it to you. I kind of have to shake my head at what JAE stocks go for today (though worth every penny I'm sure). But then again, I put down a deposit back when it was just a prototype, had it's own proprietary magazine, and waited almost four years. It's one of the stocks I know I'll keep until it gets passed down, after I die. The MPA on the other hand, I consider a tool, and have no issues with beating the shit out of it.

Thank you for your very helpful input. I would love to get behind both but unfortunately these aren't available near me that I know of. I may just have to end up buying one of each and selling the one I don't like as much at a loss.

Personally, I don’t get the appeal of the J Allen, they look like overpriced Gucci to me and that swept back grip seems like it belongs on a hunting rifle. The MPA on the other hand looks like a well thought out chassis with a function over form mentality behind it. But then I’ve never owned either one so what would I know.

This is my favorite part about the internet.

I can’t say that I’ve owned both, but I do own the JAE chassis, and a good friend that I shoot with has the MPA. I agree that for a strictly PRS shooter, maybe you would like the MPA just fine. I was very reluctant to spend the money on mine, but did come across mine for a great price and jumped, having never tried it before at all. After owning it, it’s hands down my favorite chassis. And I own a Cadex, and AI AT rifle, and of course a McMillan and Manners stock rifles as well. My JAE chassis is for sure my favorite. And pretty sure some of the top shooters in PRS use them as well, so they must be pretty good for that as well. And the customer service with Lisa at JAE is pretty damn awesome if I do say so. Just my 2 cents.

I have both as well. This pretty well sums it up for me, also. Both great. Each different.

Bought a JAE. Haven't put the rifle together yet but I sure like it so far. Still need to purchase another JAE for my Mausingfield. Think I'll try the MPA Hybrid on my Nucleus when it comes in.

I have both, and use both pretty regularly. I like them both a lot, and honestly go back and forth on which i prefer. They are both very easy to get used to. They obviously feel different, but neither is awkward or uncomfortable in any way. The JAE is noticeably heavier - sometimes that is a bonus (prone, certain barricades), sometimes its a curse (offhand, kneeling unsupported).
Lately been using the JAE more, but that could change in couple months.

I have 2 short action and 1 long action JAE and love them! Phil and team makes top shelf stocks and have friends that love them. It is always hard to choice between top shelf kit.

Above said I am now dedicated to running the JAE so much I ordered the Vudoo with a ton of weight being given to its JAE compatibility. Hoping to find a used one so I do not have to swap out actions

Bought a JAE. Haven't put the rifle together yet but I sure like it so far. Still need to purchase another JAE for my Mausingfield. Think I'll try the MPA Hybrid on my Nucleus when it comes in.

I am about to purchase JAE. The plan is to buy a Bighorn TL3 Action so there will be no need to build another rifle for practice. I will be buying another barrel for .223 (have one in 6.5 CM now) and just switching it out depending on practice or competition. (Thank you Bighorn!)
I know this thread is a few months old so you may have already made your decision but just my 2 cents.